gibson epiphone

shiner

Reaction score
A guy is trying to sell me a gibson epiphone les paul. I've only seen pics but he says it says made in usa. He was told sometime from'60's to 80's. It says epiphone on headstock and trussrod cover says gibson. I don't think it says les paul anywhere. Like I said I haven't seen it in person yet but I believe it might be a bolt on neck. Did epiphone ever make anything like a les paul in the usa by gibson? I have my doubts

i am wet

Reaction score
they did not make Epiphone les pauls during that time

shiner

Reaction score
well like I said, it doesn't say les paul on it, it's a les paul style epiphone. I'm suppose to be getting the serial # on it. He says the number is odd, kind of like a prototype?

LEFTY LES

Banned
Reaction score
Its not a Gibson. Its an Epi. Many Epi's have "Gibson" on the TRC. Probably a LP Special, worth about $200 bucks tops

shiner

Reaction score
what about the made in usa stamp on headstock? Thinking it's a fake, or could of gibson possibly done something like this with epiphone?

Gregzy

Reaction score
A guy is trying to sell me a gibson epiphone les paul. I've only seen pics but he says it says made in usa. He was told sometime from'60's to 80's. It says epiphone on headstock and trussrod cover says gibson. I don't think it says les paul anywhere. Like I said I haven't seen it in person yet but I believe it might be a bolt on neck. Did epiphone ever make anything like a les paul in the usa by gibson? I have my doubts

Gibson never made an Epiphone-branded Les Paul in the USA. The first Asian Epiphone Les Paul copies were made in Korea (by Samick) starting about 1988 (and the lower end models did have bolt-on necks) and they had a headstock shaped liked an upside down Gibson ("open book") headstock which is often attempted to be passed off as a Japanese or sometimes even a USA model. This headstock was changed to the current shape about 1993. The Gibson-authorized Les Pauls made in Japan (1988-1998) were branded as "Orville" or "Orville By Gibson". Starting about 1995 Epiphone Japan started making some Epiphone-branded Les Paul models (with the Gibson headstock and Epiphone logo) in Japan which at first were limited to the Japanese market but evolved along with the Orville line into the Elite/Elitist series and wider distribution about 1998. Try to post some photos before you buy it and someone here will tell you exactly what you're dealing with. It's always best to seek information when you're not certain. Truss rod covers are a meaningless method of identification because they are easily changed. Good luck.

It's stamped "made in the USA" ?? Hmmmm sounds a bit dubious to me...

shiner

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I'm having my doubts about it. But also don't want to pass on it if it's something rare that gibson might have done. When I get pics I'll share and get your input

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
A guy is trying to sell me a gibson epiphone les paul. I've only seen pics but he says it says made in usa.

Gibson never made an Epiphone-branded Les Paul in the USA.

It might be an Epi LP. It ain't that old, and it ain't made in America.

Latest Threads