Gibson Demo Shop on Reverb

truckermde

Reaction score
There's no discount at all.

I don't get it.

Same price as they are at Sweetwater, but used, and some are even damaged.

They even claim to offer "exceptional value".

Curious.

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
im thinking this is to appeal to collectors - the troglys and such - with prototyped guitars

danzego

Reaction score
I saw this the other day when the email hit. I couldn’t believe it. What a crap move on Gibson’s part- full MSRP for damaged and defective guitars. Gibson have done a whole lot in the last 6 months to damage my opinion of them and this just continues that. Wow.

smk506

Reaction score
What’s bizarre is people are apparently buying them? They don’t even have a make an offer option, so people are actually paying full MAP, plus tax for what amounts to used or at best, floor model guitars.

Looney tunes in rubber rooms I tells ya.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trogly bought one of each of the original collection. Apparently, he thinks they were priced too cheap and they'll sell for big $$$ once they sell out. I say that dude's the biggest moron of an "expert" I've ever seen. Unreal.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trogly bought one of each of the original collection. Apparently, he thinks they were priced too cheap and they'll sell for big $$$ once they sell out. I say that dude's the biggest moron of an "expert" I've ever seen. Unreal.
Looks like they're all listed for full list, being "prototype" doesn't really mean much.
Out of 50 listings, 14 remain unsold.

smk506

Reaction score
I’ve often gotten a shyster vibe from him, also thought it was pretty weak to bad mouth the forum that taught him what little he knows.

Shit, if we think Gibson is being shady selling 2nds at full price, what’s he planning on listing them for? :rofl:

Torshalla

Reaction score
Why not... many people are making a fortune selling these, why shouldn’t Gibson also make money from their own guitars second hand value insane appreciation?
People are willing to pay...

Last edited:

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve often gotten a shyster vibe from him, also thought it was pretty weak to bad mouth the forum that taught him what little he knows.

Shit, if we think Gibson is being shady selling 2nds at full price, what’s he planning on listing them for? :rofl:
Truth. He tried buying my 1980 Custom from me back a few years ago. Offered half of my very fair asking price. F*cking slimeball.

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
these are prototype guitars. ppl that buy these are collectors and sellers. Think about it, what is a prototype? Usually one of the first dozen builds of a certain model made. They are limited and to some, worth the price. In 10 years down the line when we look back at the 50s standard as "one of the good ones", you can bet your butt that the prototypes will be selling for more than the regular issues.

If youre looking for a used player at a discount, prototype gibsons on reverb shouldnt be on your radar.

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
i look at the "prototypes" as the first year of a car model... i'd never buy one. wait a couple years for them to sort the kinks out.

Stupid is as stupid does it clearly seems.
thats your opinion and totally acceptable. A collector/seller could view purchasing a standard issue model vs a prototype model as "stupid". Stupidity is in the eye of the beholder. Just dont buy one and it shouldnt effect you.

And while i understand your car analogy, that doesnt translate here as the purpose of prototype models is to iron out any of those production issues before mass production...

MSB

Reaction score
And while i understand your car analogy, that doesnt translate here as the purpose of prototype models is to iron out any of those production issues before mass production...

prototypes aren't released to the masses... you don't think they listen to the feedback on new models and use that to try to improve on future years? I mean we are discussing Gibson, but any normal semi intelligent company would, so if you put out a model for 5 years, each subsequent year theoretically should be superior than the previous.

or am i missing something? The more you make something --->> the better you should get at it

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
prototypes aren't released to the masses... you don't think they listen to the feedback on new models and use that to try to improve on future years? I mean we are discussing Gibson, but any normal semi intelligent company would, so if you put out a model for 5 years, each subsequent year theoretically should be superior than the previous.

or am i missing something? The more you make something --->> the better you should get at it
no, of course not. Prototypes are used for internal purposes. Most people wouldnt want a prototype anything, but guitars are different. This is an opportunity for the public to purchase a prototype which is typically something only vendors and collectors get access to. Again, this is aimed towards collectors.

You're also forgetting Gibson is a for-profit company, so there has to be changes made year to year to keep players interested or else we'd all just be buying 50s standards all day. Marketing to different genres, budgets and so much more

And no, the more you make doesnt always = better or cheaper. Materials can come in and out of stock (rosewood, ebony), manufacturing processes can change, minimum wage can increase leading to cutting costs elsewhere. Nothing in the manufacturing process of guitars is set in stone and so many things can effect prices. Hell, even changes in management and pandemics can be felt by consumers.

Just because gibson has made les pauls and sgs a certain way one year (2015) doesnt mean they will be the same the following year (2016) so those new buildouts need to be prototyped and tested.

thanks for attending my TED talk

MSB

Reaction score
You're also forgetting Gibson is a for-profit company, so there has to be changes made year to year to keep players interested or else we'd all just be buying 50s standards all day. Marketing to different genres, budgets and so much more

And no, the more you make doesnt always = better or cheaper. Materials can come in and out of stock (rosewood, ebony), manufacturing processes can change, minimum wage can increase leading to cutting costs elsewhere. Nothing in the manufacturing process of guitars is set in stone and so many things can effect prices. Hell, even changes in management and pandemics can be felt by consumers.
my statement was made with an assumption i clearly didn't express. A model made multiple years to the same specs. You'd have to be trying to F it up if you get worse with each one.

you're right, Gibson, as any other company is for profit... you won't be a company for long if you aren't, so that argument is a little moot, IMO

the models that were for sale in this thread for the most part (i won't lie and say i wasted more than 2 min looking) are models still getting made, so my argument still stands, who in their right mind would spend the same for a "used" model when they could purchase the same/better model with a return policy and some sort of recourse if they get a dud?

you've got a hard on for these, so go for it, i'll bow out with the agree to disagree

how many of them did you buy?

Latest Threads