Gibson Custom Shop Mike Ness 1976 Les Paul Deluxe Aged Gold

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Gibson Custom are releasing a limited edition Mike Ness signature based on his worn and modified 1976 gold top. Interesting to see that high price Custom Shop recreations of Norlin era guitars is now a definite trend...

greatmutah

Reaction score
I love this thing except for the price. Shouldn’t the 3 piece neck and pancake body have it costing less, given that those were supposed cost cutting measures back in the 70s?

Dilver

Reaction score
Cool. I love Mike Ness and Social Distortion, but that’s a lot of coin for a 70s Deluxe.

…at least they did all the details - maple neck, pancake body, volute. For that price I would have expected them to have the electrical tape holding the switch in the bridge position, like Mike has on all his guitars.

I wonder if he’ll actually use one of these when he plays shows…

I own a 72 Deluxe that I’ve often thought about changing to P90s but now that is “vintage”, (plus I have Juniors) I’ve kept them in there.

Mike uses Duncan P90s that are wound for him (ceramic mag) but I guess asking Gibson to not use their own P90s would‘ve been in poor taste.

Reaction score
Cool. I love Mike Ness and Social Distortion, but that’s a lot of coin for a 70s Deluxe.

…at least they did all the details - maple neck, pancake body, volute. For that price I would have expected them to have the electrical tape holding the switch in the bridge position, like Mike has on all his guitars.

I wonder if he’ll actually use one of these when he plays shows…

I own a 72 Deluxe that I’ve often thought about changing to P90s but now that is “vintage”, (plus I have Juniors) I’ve kept them in there.

Mike uses Duncan P90s that are wound for him (ceramic mag) but I guess asking Gibson to not use their own P90s would‘ve been in poor taste.
Here's a fantastic doc about his tone and gear if you havn't watched it already...well worth the watch.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
I love this thing except for the price. Shouldn’t the 3 piece neck and pancake body have it costing less, given that those were supposed cost cutting measures back in the 70s?
To be honest, the pricing on this guitar and also the Adam Jones and Jerry Cantrell signatures makes as much sense to me as paying 2 to 3 times the market value of a real vintage ‘59 ‘burst for a Custom Shop ‘59 reissue of the same, instead of just buying the actual ‘burst.

ARandall

Reaction score
They were about cutting warranty replacement costs.
Why on earth do you think taking time and glue to laminate wood pieces together before cutting the shape would be cheaper than just cutting the shape directly out of a single block of wood.....especially back in the day when lumber supply was more plentiful.

greatmutah

Reaction score
They were about cutting warranty replacement costs.
Why on earth do you think taking time and glue to laminate wood pieces together before cutting the shape would be cheaper than just cutting the shape directly out of a single block of wood.....especially back in the day when lumber supply was more plentiful.
I’m glad you can justify $9K for a replica of a Norlin build with the features that were heavily derided by folks for years. I can’t. And I like Norlin era LPs.

ARandall

Reaction score
Nice strawman....

The topic you mentioned and what I responded to was the use of laminates - and that this construction method made for a cheaper guitar price than a using 1 piece.
Do you have anything to add to this topic.....I'm guessing no, as you seem desperate to put words in my mouth.

greatmutah

Reaction score
Nice strawman....

The topic you mentioned and what I responded to was the use of laminates - and that this construction method made for a cheaper guitar price than a using 1 piece.
Do you have anything to add to this topic.....I'm guessing no, as you seem desperate to put words in my mouth.

Laminating actually is considered a cheaper method of building a guitar hence why in Fender land you may have guitars made of upwards of five pieces of wood with a veneer on the back and sides. Especially on on MIM and MII/MIC Fenders. That’s how I “honestly believe” it costs less. It’s also known Gibson did it it in the 70s because they had an excess of thinner mahogany pieces to use and didn’t want to shell out for larger full pieces to use for their bodies. So yes, it was cost cutting in the 1970s. The lumber shortage today doesn’t explain why a guitar built to Norlin specs costs $9000. There’s what I have to add. D-bag.

Reaction score
Incredible...even if this release isn't for you (and NO one is forcing anybody to buy one) people have to crap on about price??? Y'all must be fun at museums.

Unbelievable.

rich85

Reaction score
They only built 100 and they are almost all sold out so eh.

The price is same as vintage but obviously some people with the money to spend have no interest in dealing with a 50 year old instrument and the problems it may have.

Latest Threads