Gibson Custom Shop forgot to put the mounting screws on the tuning pegs of a 63 Les Paul Custom

Paul46

Reaction score
That is borderline unbelievable....but there it is staring you in the face!

How on earth could that leave the factory like that?

Last edited:

Eigen

Reaction score
What does the serial number say, built on a Friday or day before a holiday? :eek2:

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
I am having my 2019 WILDWOOD R8 worked on now. The ground from the toggle switch which routes through the pickup cavity to the electronics cavity is not functioning properly....i turned the guitar in to an Authorized Gibson Repair Tech 12 January....expect completion next week. This caused the bridge tone knob to act as the volume control for the bridge pickup. My post covering this issue:

2019 WILDWOOD SPEC R8 BRIDGE TONE KNOB ISSUE

Reaction score
What does the serial number say, built on a Friday or day before a holiday? :eek2:
Im not the OP, but my LP serial number is the day before thanksgiving and the guitar is perfect. Also, the pickups are dated like 2 weeks after the serial number date, so the hardware is installed well after the stamped serial number date.

Why did I type a serious reply to your tongue in cheek comment? Who knows…

Dan

Scream And Fly

Reaction score
Looks like par for the course with Gibson’s inconsistent quality to me.

Jungle

Reaction score
This is a joke, Gibson bashing history .

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that it would even hold tune without those screws.

fretout

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that it would even hold tune without those screws.
Well, it still has the bushings…but still.

That’s some unacceptable attention to detail!

Maybe Gibson hired a new guy in the hardware dept. I’ve also noticed a few new LPs where the tuning machine bushings were over-tightened, and caused the headstock overlay to separate (which causes the “bubbling” around the tuners.

Maybe it’s the same guy? Maybe he/she is a virgin and scared to screw anything!?

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Reaction score
When these types of videos surface, I always wonder what the actual percentage of guitars leave the factory with these types of defects. You tend to only hear about the bad ones. I own 3 Gibsons and have never even needed a setup on any of them after many many years. I hang them on the wall (never in cases) and my home humidity varies by season. YMMV.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Well, it still has the bushings…but still.

That’s some unacceptable attention to detail!

Maybe Gibson hired a new guy in the hardware dept. I’ve also noticed a few new LPs where the tuning machine bushings were over-tightened, and caused the headstock overlay to separate (which causes the “bubbling” around the tuners.

Maybe it’s the same guy? Maybe he/she is a virgin and scared to screw anything!?
They probably had to overtighten those bushings to keep the tuners from torquing while they were tuning it. That’s amazing that they wouldn’t have noticed that there was no screws holding the tuners in on the back. The only thing I can think is that the tech went to lunch in the middle of the process and then somebody else grabbed the guitar and moved it on down the line or something.

dspelman

Reaction score
We don' need no steenkeeng screws!

We did all this work on your custom guitar to make it pretty.
We're tired now.
Time for lunch and to go over and squeeze Ethel's buttocks in Sanding.
Put in your own damned screws.

mjross

Reaction score
Something funky here, how did Gibson and Sweetwater BOTH miss this! Based on EVERY guitar I’ve ever purchased from Sweetwater, this could not happen, impossible. I just can not believe Sweetwater missed this, too obvious. I’d sure be quizzing Sweetwater on this one and let them deal with Gibson!

Latest Threads