Gibson Custom Les Paul ‘70s Les Paul Standard Sparkle Top...

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey guys....
Got a good deal at GC on a guitar that I discovered has a fretboard issue...so I’m either exchanging or upgrading. It’s a 2019 Les Paul Classic and I love the guitar, but I’m getting greedy hahaha!!! Custom Shop guitars currently have 0% at 48 months, very tempting.
This one seems like a good value, anyone ever play one or know if one can assume it’s made from the same wood stock as the reissues and historics? Same overall quality?
Here’s the link...

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
lol.....why not just go buy a real 70's standard and save some money???
Well this is “better” spec-wise than an actual 70s Les Paul....not sure why they even call this a 70s Les Paul. And....where can I get 0% @ 48 months on a used guitar??

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
lol....how is it "better" spec-wise than a 70's LP? I would seriously like to know for reference.

They are putting a sparkle finish (one that was NOT available in the 70's) on it and calling it a "70's les Paul" in order to sell units......

sadly, I can not help you with the money end, I buy and pay cash.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Eh, no pancake body, better finish, “potentially” better Woods overall...custom shop build quality, etc.
Some 70s Norlin Era guitars are fantastic, some are “interesting”...but certainly aren’t the “golden era” of Gibson’s.
I agree on the finish not having anything to do with the 70s, or the specs being 70s at all lol.
I’m not a collector of cash or guitars unfortunately so I need a couple solid guitars and the 0% is huge!
I’m just not sure if this particular guitar truly is a custom shop quality level of guitar for the money. If it’s not?? Overpriced. If it is?? Fantastic value.
lol....how is it "better" spec-wise than a 70's LP? I would seriously like to know for reference.

They are putting a sparkle finish (one that was NOT available in the 70's) on it and calling it a "70's les Paul" in order to sell units......

sadly, I can not help you with the money end, I buy and pay cash.

Malchik

Reaction score
Gibson's idea of a "70's" Les Paul is lame. The whole appeal of that era was the multiple piece maple necks, volutes, harmonica bridge, etc. This is just a branding stunt.

Reactions: Who

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gibson's idea of a "70's" Les Paul is lame. The whole appeal of that era was the multiple piece maple necks, volutes, harmonica bridge, etc. This is just a branding stunt.
Buuuuutttttt....
Is it made from the same wood and finishing that the actually use on the custom shop reissue guitars? That’s what I wanna know.

Benniator

Reaction score
It's a Custom Shop guitar, so it should have the same fit and finish as the rest of Gibson's CS products. Not sure how wood is chosen for specific CS models, though.

Benniator

Reaction score
Sorry about the double post, but Sweetwater currently has 48 months no interest on all of their Gibsons. If you're ok with not playing the guitar before you buy (depending on where you live), you can get the same no 48 months no interest on a Classic, Standard, or Modern.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the double post, but Sweetwater currently has 48 months no interest on all of their Gibsons. If you're ok with not playing the guitar before you buy (depending on where you live), you can get the same no 48 months no interest on a Classic, Standard, or Modern.
I appreciate that man!!
I am a little iffy on whether or not I want another card at the moment though...could have a “full deck” soon if I’m not careful haha!! I am in the Boston area so Sweetwater is not near me unfortunately. I much prefer Sweetwater too from my ordering experiences.

Benniator

Reaction score
I appreciate that man!!
I am a little iffy on whether or not I want another card at the moment though...could have a “full deck” soon if I’m not careful haha!! I am in the Boston area so Sweetwater is not near me unfortunately. I much prefer Sweetwater too from my ordering experiences.

I can understand that. I'm not huge on credit cards either. On the other hand, stuff like this is currently available:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...es-paul-standard-60s-unburst?serial=123990041

Latest Threads