Gibson circuit board wiring - all the same?

Hoboman

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Les Paul with the circuit board wiring. It's just the standard two volumes, two tones.
Will a push/pull Les Paul circuit board drop right in or were their any differences that I should be aware of?

MSB

Reaction score
it should drop in, but make sure your plug in pickups are the 4 wire type or they won't split. I haven't messed with the circuit boards in a few years, but iirc some pickups with the plug in are only 2 wire

Hoboman

Reaction score
it should drop in, but make sure your plug in pickups are the 4 wire type or they won't split. I haven't messed with the circuit boards in a few years, but iirc some pickups with the plug in are only 2 wire
Ah, good point. I haven't even checked my PUs to see if they are wired for splitting.

Thanks,

Hoboman

Reaction score
Well, my stock 57 classics are wired for splitting BUT unfortunately it looks like the Push/Pull circuit board is too tall to fit in my Les Paul Classic Lite.

LPCL-8.jpg

LPCL-2.jpg

MSB

Reaction score
Well, my stock 57 classics are wired for splitting BUT unfortunately it looks like the Push/Pull circuit board is too tall to fit in my Les Paul Classic Lite.

View attachment 481580

View attachment 481581
I don't see why it wouldn't. My '14 MM had the same thin body and had a PCB, it was tight, don't get me wrong, but it fit. You would probably want to adjust your nuts though

I am somewhat curious why you want to swap IN a PCB?

Hoboman

Reaction score
I don't see why it wouldn't. My '14 MM had the same thin body and had a PCB, it was tight, don't get me wrong, but it fit. You would probably want to adjust your nuts though

I am somewhat curious why you want to swap IN a PCB?
My Les Paul has a PCB but I would like to install one with Push/Pull pots for coil splitting but the PCB requires more depth in the control cavity because of the stacked pots.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Why not just put in a non-PCB harness? It'll probably cost you less than sourcing a Gibson PCB one and you could end up with better components, component brands/models/values of your choice, and the wiring schematic of your choice, as well as opening you up to easily swapping in any pickups, and being easily serviceable.

I've never heard of someone wanting to put a PCB harness into a Gibson.

Hoboman

Reaction score
Why not just put in a non-PCB harness? It'll probably cost you less than sourcing a Gibson PCB one and you could end up with better components, component brands/models/values of your choice, and the wiring schematic of your choice, as well as opening you up to easily swapping in any pickups, and being easily serviceable.

Dropping in a PCB would be A LOT easier. I think there are four things to unplug, remove the PCB, drop another in, plug things in and be done. Probably a 10 minute install.

Also, I see one on reverb right now at decent price.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
You're exchanging a small amount of labor for a great amount of limitation.

Hoboman

Reaction score
You're exchanging a small amount of labor for a great amount of limitation.
Definitely saving on labor. Not sure about the limitations.
Pretty much a mute point since it doesn't look like the PCB is going to fit and I don't feel like spending a whole evening cutting and soldering wires and trying to figure out the wiring. At this point I'm not even sure that a standard push/pull pot will fit in my guitar because of the depth.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Well, I can at least help with some measurements.

A full size CTS push/pull pot needs 1" from the inside of the cavity to the back of the control cavity cover plate.

One of the Alpha mini push/pulls is only slightly longer, needing 1 3/32" clearance.

You can try wiring your guitar up "50's style" (the way the tone pots/caps are connected to the volume controls) and you should get some more brightness and clarity. Might find you don't even need coil splits. It's certainly difficult to do that on a PCB, but I think some have cut traces and put in jumpers to do it. You can find a drop-in 50's style harness, too, if that's more your speed.

Hoboman

Reaction score
Well, I can at least help with some measurements.

A full size CTS push/pull pot needs 1" from the inside of the cavity to the back of the control cavity cover plate.

One of the Alpha mini push/pulls is only slightly longer, needing 1 3/32" clearance.

You can try wiring your guitar up "50's style" (the way the tone pots/caps are connected to the volume controls) and you should get some more brightness and clarity. Might find you don't even need coil splits. It's certainly difficult to do that on a PCB, but I think some have cut traces and put in jumpers to do it. You can find a drop-in 50's style harness, too, if that's more your speed.
Those measuerments are very helpful. I'll check to it CTS pots will fit.

Thanks!

Charlie51

Reaction score

I have what I call the "dreaded PCB" in mine. Only thing I despise more are the Robo-tuners. So many good options if it ever fails or for anyone wanting to upgrade. Stew-Mac sells a complete "drop-in" harness as do several others with push - pull pots. Just need to get an accurate wiring color code for the specific Gibson pickups you're dealing with. Not a difficult job.

You're correct...most likely you would end up with better pots/caps also.

Latest Threads