Gibson can be a bit naughty sometimes...tut-tut

5F6-A

Reaction score
There were some doubts about how real the new Gibson bumblebee caps were. I was told by a friend the caps that Gibson installs these days in its Historic Custom Shop guitars weren't real bumblebees at all. We wanted to find out for sure so my pal ( who is a vet ) x-rayed one and opened one from his R9 LP. This is the result:

Photo of both caps. One is real and the other one is a modern cap labeled as bumbleblee cap by Gibson :

We x-ray the real one and this is the result:

We x-ray the new one and ... What the heck is this?

My friend got his pen knife out and found a decent ( yet plastic ) Wesco capacitor within the fancier bumblebee clone:

:confused:
Isn't that outrageous or what??!!

ReverendJWblues

MLP Chaplain
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Like I've said in threads before its the NEW AMERICAN WAY let me fu*k you with this if you like it let me fu*k some more. Very little honesty left in the world.

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Like I've said in threads before its the NEW AMERICAN WAY let me fu*k you with this if you like it let me fu*k some more. Very little honesty left in the world.
Tis a shame that all too many will or would stoop to this , instead of buying some of these other smaller music companies, Gibson coulda have either bought Spragues, the copywright and made something even closer to the real deal. prolly why I will most likey get any more Gibsons second hand

tarddoggy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can you guys bring me up to speed on the whole bumblebee,sprague thing.I thought the Jensen oil and paper caps were the way to go now.Why wouldnt Gibson use these?

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can you guys bring me up to speed on the whole bumblebee,sprague thing.I thought the Jensen oil and paper caps were the way to go now.Why wouldnt Gibson use these?
It would appear Gibson went for a cosmetic coverup and marketing it as real Bumblebee caps which they are not, not even Sprauge brand caps

5F6-A

Reaction score
I use Danish, copper foil, Jensens ( 22 nF for the dridge and 15 nF for the neck ). A couple of reasons why Gibson wouldn't touch them are:
they are pricey
they don't look like the old ones

hard to justify the extra dough even when they are aware of the tonal loss due to using caps like the wescos rather than jensens.

tarddoggy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
tHANKS GUYS,I was looking at the upgrade kits from RS AND NOW KNOW WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON!:slash:

ArchEtech

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
WoW, I mean WoW - with all the rumors floating around about QC and the truth behind the chambering... how could they think no one would even figure this out eventually.

Are these things what is found on mulit-thousand dollar gibson historics or something? I mean if they charge 7k for a production guitar they should at least use legit parts my GOD!

W

WBPickups

I use Danish, copper foil, Jensens ( 22 nF for the dridge and 15 nF for the neck ). A couple of reasons why Gibson wouldn't touch them are:
they are pricey
they don't look like the old ones

hard to justify the extra dough even when they are aware of the tonal loss due to using caps like the wescos rather than jensens.
+1 on the Jensons!

tarddoggy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
WoW, I mean WoW - with all the rumors floating around about QC and the truth behind the chambering... how could they think no one would even figure this out eventually.

Are these things what is found on mulit-thousand dollar gibson historics or something? I mean if they charge 7k for a production guitar they should at least use legit parts my GOD!
I completely agree,I hope somebody brings this to the head fellows at Gibson.

terence_tez

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
oh my,if this is the kind of 'treatment' historics get,i can't imagine what is in my standard...

loneguitar

Reaction score
Man that's just sad, cain't trust no one no more, bygone era, again all about the bucks

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
a couple of thoughts
- this info has been around since they started using them in '03 (I think that's correct)
- even though they are 'cosmetic' IMO they are pretty good sounding caps.
- if you want real Bees, you can score them any day on EBay. IMO, the real ones (PIO ones) are the best caps for my LP.

ArchEtech

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Maybe its time to test drive a PRS. I've avoided it because for some reason they bug me. Attitude with the owners, so much hype, I don't know. But you can get a hell of a PRS for $2300, the price of a Les Paul Standard. hell for that much I could have a custom built one to my specs and probably pocket some of that $2300.

Look at this guys work for about the same price as a Les Paul - Um I'd say its competition....

models/pricing

lifele55

Reaction score
Wow... that is definitely shocking. Only thought things like these happen with the counterfeit market or the lower end copies but on a real thing it self? Shocking.

Tone Seeker

Reaction score
Maybe its time to test drive a PRS. I've avoided it because for some reason they bug me. Attitude with the owners, so much hype, I don't know. But you can get a hell of a PRS for $2300, the price of a Les Paul Standard. hell for that much I could have a custom built one to my specs and probably pocket some of that $2300.]
If you're serious about I suggest that you take an SC245 for a test drive. VERY Les Paul like. . . 24.5" scale length, lightweight headstock & tuning pegs, etc. Mine is a dream to play. It's light and very resonate. I still smile when I feel the tuning pegs vibrate as I tune. :)

A pix of mine is attached.

Terry.

Attachments

Redfish

Reaction score
Maybe its time to test drive a PRS. I've avoided it because for some reason they bug me. Attitude with the owners, so much hype, I don't know. But you can get a hell of a PRS for $2300, the price of a Les Paul Standard. hell for that much I could have a custom built one to my specs and probably pocket some of that $2300.

Look at this guys work for about the same price as a Les Paul - Um I'd say its competition....

models/pricing
No PRS in the world is a Les Paul. It's just not. Don't waste your money and time like I did trying to find a PRS to take the place of your Les Paul just because Gibson lets us down as a company. Suck it up, accept the arrogant corporate BS and play the best Rock and Roll guitar period. You always have to pay some kind of dues to have the best and if I have to put up with non authentic caps I think I'll survive.

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Caps are really not a huge tonal feature in a guitar. I've been working with electronics for the last 15 years. I build my own pedals, wire my own guitars, you name it. The value of the cap is more important than what its made out of. Metal Film caps provide the best fidelity, but is it extremely noticeable over any other type? No. There are differences, but 99.8% of the world can't hear them.

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Also, on a side note, I'm not a PRS fan at all. I can't play them well, and they lack something, for me anyway.

Some of them look nice though. I think a lot of the hype over PRS is that when a lot of those players were younger, they couldn't afford a Les Paul, so right away, you hate on it just because you can't have one. They got older, bought a PRS and because the price range is similar, they instantly get their backs up about how its 'so much better than a Les Paul'. I've heard PRS owners call Pauls 'old man guitars'... but never mind the fact that almost all of their heroes played Pauls through out their careers.

If you're looking for a nice Les Paul type guitar, ESP is the way to go. They are super high quality.