Gibson + Calton Cases = $$$$

BDW60

Reaction score
Not sure what’s worse: selling an overkill case for 1,200 bucks or including a total piece of garbage case for a $5-10K historic.

I think the latter is worse, actually.

skydog

Reaction score
Done boys!!!!!! You'll have to give me time to contact my local carpenter to talk about wood choices based on weight or grain. I think I'll go with teak or pine as they are lighter.
I'll put up the building process in the Luther Corner. The tread will be there in a month or so.
Also I'm thinking a rectangular case instead of a carved one. It looks more classy to me.
Yeah, sure…will it smell like bullshit, too?

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what’s worse: selling an overkill case for 1,200 bucks or including a total piece of garbage case for a $5-10K historic.

I think the latter is worse, actually.
Agreed.
$1,200 case, you know up front that you're getting into cork-sniffer territory and are willing to pay for it.
Personally? No, I would not spend that kind of money to protect my $500-$3000 guitars... but none of mine are ever going to be worth more than I paid for them except maybe the Bonamassa Custom.

But if I had a '59? Sure... I wouldn't hesitate to spend that.
It's a much more attractive case than the Anvil/SKB/Pelican flight cases, and really not THAT much more expensive.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score

It weird to see all the mad here because I see tons of them around Nashville and the people who depend on them swear by them.
Who's mad? Just don't need to and can't afford to spend $1200 on a case...

your idol

Reaction score
Who's mad? Just don't need to and can't afford to spend $1200 on a case...
Well it seems like people think its ridiculous but at the end of the day when that thing in there is your livelyhood or an heirloom this is one of the best options. Is it lavish to most? TOTALLY! But if your instrument is going on and off planes, riding under busses or being jostled around in trailers this is hard to beat. People saying they will stick to skb...thats probably great for the majority of us but ive seen cracked skbs. Ive seen Caltons look like theyve been through combat tours and theyre still as sound as they day they were bought. Like i said i see a bunch of them and the heavy duty Hiscox cases around town and I dont have a corksniffin bone in my body and theyre always just pretty impressive. They are custom to your exact model and every variance in spec. If you go to their website and see all the model options itd blow your mind. They even make one for the Sonex. My only shock here is that Gibson doesnt have a $200 branding upcharge on it.

TMS

Reaction score
On TGP that's entry level!
I was checking TGP out again and I don't see these snobs (anymore)?

All I see is people still buying boutique pedal but I don't see a collection with 10 5k guitars.

skydog

Reaction score
I was checking TGP out again and I don't see these snobs (anymore)?

All I see is people still buying boutique pedal but I don't see a collection with 10 5k guitars.
Oh, they're there!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Ugly and Super, Super, Super Pricey. No Thanks, love the cases I have that came with my guitars. I will really try not to leave them in the driveway or the street and I will try my hardest not to drop them from a building. I think I will be ok.

skydog

Reaction score
Ugly and Super, Super, Super Pricey. No Thanks, love the cases I have that came with my guitars. I will really try not to leave them in the driveway or the street and I will try my hardest not to drop them from a building. I think I will be ok.
Tell that to the baggage handlers at O'Hare, LaGuardia, etc.!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Tell that to the baggage handlers at O'Hare, LaGuardia, etc.!
I actually think it cost less to ship your guitar than put it on an Airplane, and it is insured. I've always kept my guitar with me though.

blouie

Reaction score
Great concept. If they were smart, they’d offer a lower priced entry level model.
If they were smart, they would sell that same exact model for $250. They would actually get people to buy it!

I have to say, it is ugly! Sorry, not for me.

zdoggie

Reaction score
that is something I'll probably never own, seems like gibson trys to manufacture good and over price them by a lot ,
I having trouble digesting the price of some of the used cases on the bay and reverb some them look like they were picked up at the city dump and I'm not kidding I wouldn't put any of my guitars in some of those cases for fear of catastrophic failure
zdoggie

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
Oh God not these things again.

There was somebody with a huge boner for these cases who kept blowing up the backstage, had like $30k in just cases. Most of which were heinous. I'm not one to criticize how people spend their money but dude... what a waste, if you want protection buy genuine road cases.
Or pay Guido to hold it for you.

moreles

Reaction score
The general disdain is great to hear. These are ridiculous fashion items. Sure, some people need the functionality to this level, but the appointments are excessive -- a little nauseating and ridiculous, really. Who thinks a case actuyally looks good, as an object, anyway? Probably aimed at hedge fund managers.

Latest Threads