Gibson Black Veneer crack between mahogany question

thetwoeightones

Reaction score
Hi y’all,

just got this 09 Custom Shop Trini Lopez but noticed between the black veneer and red mahogany of headstock it has a cracks along it. Didn’t say that on listing when I bought it, still have 30 day return window but back to Japan……but I do love the way it plays though.

Seller didn’t list that in description so feel eBay should make them pay for return shipping right?

Is this an easy repair? Cost? For sure would take to luthier, guessing they’ll clamp and glue on gap, sand it and do touch up? Or have to refinish the whole neck. This is my first time getting a guitar like this so wanted to hear if y’all had experience like this before

Whats y’all’s thoughts? Worth repair? Will this hurt value a lot if I wanna sell it in future?

Sorry for so many questions, I love the way it plays but not sure it’s worth it, thanks for reading

4D978EC8-7B4A-4726-9D59-C22BE1C9B500.jpeg
2A6CC4D5-E942-4B63-A5BF-B242CEFA8404.jpeg
2915F2E8-83C3-4A6B-9151-BC9F5D8A38A5.jpeg
ECA25FB8-E407-453D-9CCE-F304A5221004.jpeg
362E43E5-83D1-4265-98A6-BB19007C9861.jpeg

Attachments

ARandall

Reaction score
That sort of thing looks like there is a poor/faulty glue join in there. Certainly an issue and well worth pursuing the return based on not as described.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
"Love the way it plays" is sometimes worth more than anything else.
Have a luthier check it out and price the repair and go from there.
You can negotiate a rebate from the seller and enjoy that guitar.

Only you can decide if that would be good and would not bother you at all.
:thumb:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could it have happened during shipping? Does not look like something i'd accept given were those issues are on the guitar.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
The fact there is finish cracks on both side going onto the neck worries me. I think the neck took a hit either at home or during shipping.
It may be cosmetic only but you can't know for sure at this point. I wouldn't accept it

Imperial

Reaction score
"Love the way it plays" is sometimes worth more than anything else.
Agreed. But when it's about a very new purchase, the worth of that can be questionable. That issue, even if it was only cosmetic (not saying it's so here), may start to annoy greatly later. Also, you never know if the guitar feels so great anymore after playing it for a while. So I'd try to return it. It's a nice looking guitar, though.

lwchafin

Reaction score
Looks to me like you have a classic Gibson headstock break in your future if you keep that guitar, nice as it is.

kingmlg

Reaction score
That head stock has been cracked and repaired. Post some closeup pics of the back near the nut from each side..
Looks like the veneer separated from the head and re glued. The nut has been glued back in place and there is a crack in the finish where the fretboard is attached to the neck. It runs right below the binding from the nut forward. Plus the obvious cracks on each side of the head stock

Latest Threads