Gibson/Baldwin...Is it a real Les Paul?

kenpoken

Reaction score
I am new to the forum. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Classic. Many years ago, my son bought a Gibson Baldwin Signature guitar. It is a Les Paul style body, and has a cherry sunburst finish.

Would this be considered a Les Paul...or even a Gibson for that matter?

tdbear1us

Reaction score
I am new to the forum. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Classic. Many years ago, my son bought a Gibson Baldwin Signature guitar. It is a Les Paul style body, and has a cherry sunburst finish.

Would this be considered a Les Paul...or even a Gibson for that matter?

I would consider it a Baldwin Les Paul style guitar but no not a true Les Paul or Gibson.

kenpoken

Reaction score
What part of Gibson is in these guitars...except for the brand name?

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nadda thing. I don't know what they were thinking with those. I hope they're "Baldwin by Gibson" - but they are below the lowest Epiphone model, and even the Epis have nothing in common w/ Gibson guitars aside from shape.

Custom53

Reaction score
They were an entry level import for music students in schools... You know, take a beating and not be out much... Kind of like the OLP for Musicman...

rockstar232007

Reaction score
They were an entry level import for music students in schools... You know, take a beating and not be out much... Kind of like the OLP for Musicman...
The funny thing is, LP Juniors started life as "entry level", student-model guitars back in the '50s.:hmm:

@OP
Baldwin, Maestro, etc are in the "Gibson Family of Brands", but are NOT considered "Gibson" gutars! IMHO, they are basically toys.

lordraptor1

Reaction score
The funny thing is, LP Juniors started life as "entry level", student-model guitars back in the '50s.:hmm:

@OP
Baldwin, Maestro, etc are in the "Gibson Family of Brands", but are NOT considered "Gibson" gutars! IMHO, they are basically toys.

it is sad when gibson fanboys are so blind thinking that the "gibson" models are the only ones that are any good. sadly that is just fanboy stupidity. personally i have seen more poor quality gibsons than epi's, baldwins, even maestros ( and that is just sticking to gibson family brands).

i personally own an epiphone les paul and a single cutaway ( les paul shape) one-off, that was built by someone learning the luthier trade ( his first attempt at building one from the ground up) and it is better than a lot of the "gibson" i have seen.

if i had funds to waste i would indeed buy a gibson ( but even then i would be extremely picky), but i tend to stick with epi's (because of never having a quality issue out of one of them) but maestros i would avoid like the plaugue, HOWEVER some of those baldwins are actually pretty damned good, the only thing i personally dont like about them is the wrap around tailpiece ( i would prefer to have one with adjustable intonation which can be remedied).

with that said, they are worth somethign to someone somewhere i am sure, it is after all a part of gibson history, look really good hanging on a wall, and best of all you wont complain if it breaks like you will be cursing breaking a "gibson" :laugh2:

rjshare

Reaction score
it is sad when gibson fanboys are so blind thinking that the "gibson" models are the only ones that are any good. sadly that is just fanboy stupidity. personally i have seen more poor quality gibsons than epi's, baldwins, even maestros ( and that is just sticking to gibson family brands).

i personally own an epiphone les paul and a single cutaway ( les paul shape) one-off, that was built by someone learning the luthier trade ( his first attempt at building one from the ground up) and it is better than a lot of the "gibson" i have seen.

if i had funds to waste i would indeed buy a gibson ( but even then i would be extremely picky), but i tend to stick with epi's (because of never having a quality issue out of one of them) but maestros i would avoid like the plaugue, HOWEVER some of those baldwins are actually pretty damned good, the only thing i personally dont like about them is the wrap around tailpiece ( i would prefer to have one with adjustable intonation which can be remedied).

with that said, they are worth somethign to someone somewhere i am sure, it is after all a part of gibson history, look really good hanging on a wall, and best of all you wont complain if it breaks like you will be cursing breaking a "gibson" :laugh2:

Thanks for digging up a five year old thread for that...

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Not the first time he's done that either.....mostly worthless re-awakenings too.

rockstar232007

Reaction score

Well, since you decided to wake the beast, have you ever even held/played any of these types of guitars?

I have, and can tell you first-hand, that as "functional" guitars, they're not worth a damn. Hell, they're barely functional as "learning tools.

My SIL had a Maestro LP, and right after it was set up, the tailpiece studs snapped right off. Turns out, they were made from some crappy-quality, almost galvanized steel. Didn't sound/feel all that great either.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
it is sad when gibson fanboys are so blind thinking that the "gibson" models are the only ones that are any good. sadly that is just fanboy stupidity. ............

Isn't it the same wih 'Maestro-Fanboys'

:lol:

rjshare

Reaction score
My SG, is it a real Baldwin grand piano?

jtbasketman

Reaction score

Attachments

• lp s-l1600 (1).jpg
    lp s-l1600 (1).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 321
  • lp2 s-l1600 (1).jpg
    lp2 s-l1600 (1).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 377
  • lp3 s-l1600 (1).jpg
    lp3 s-l1600 (1).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 768

rockstar232007

Reaction score

Paul46

Reaction score
I saw that one and just burst out laughing at the 'relic' job. I don't believe those bids were genuine either.

Latest Threads