Gibson (as sole brand on headstock)

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
How so? It seems fairly obvious.

And how do you know any better?

I worked for Best Buy for ten years (unfortunately). I was able to order guitars online, and I would also visit one of the stores that actually kept guitars in stock, it was pretty cool actually. They would blow out older models to make room for the newer models. They do the same thing with pc's, and televisions...

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ah, but ALL of the baked maple models were cleared out.

Aren't you exceptional. :hippie:
mduya, I bought one of the blow-out faded worn brown Studios EXPECTING a 2012 Baked Maple board. What I got was a 2011 Rosewood. So they were truly just clering out discontinued models.

cynic79

Reaction score
To the OP: Just to clarify, all guitars made by Gibson under their own brand name are made in the USA. Although they do use some parts made overseas (bridges, tuners, and maybe pickups on at least one model), the guitars are cut, shaped, and assembled in the US.

With respect to year-end sales: It looks like Gibson is blowing out all of their guitar lines, not just those that use "alternative" fretboard materials. Of course, since almost all the guitars in Gibson's 2012 lineup used such materials, it amounts to nearly the same thing. The 2013 line uses rosewood almost across the board, except for the Studios (granadillo) and the Supremes (richlite).

I find two things interesting about the 2013 line. First, the Custom isn't part of the regular lineup. Second, the Supreme is still using richlite instead of ebony. If I had to guess, I'd say Gibson still hasn't obtained a steady supply of ebony to use on their production line guitars, but perhaps expects to have some in the near future. Maybe the 2013 production line Custom will debut later in the year once Gibson gets their ebony supply sorted.

Of course, this is just rampant speculation on my part.

Steven

Reaction score
mduya, I bought one of the blow-out faded worn brown Studios EXPECTING a 2012 Baked Maple board. What I got was a 2011 Rosewood. So they were truly just clering out discontinued models.

I've been eyeing an SG faded brown Special for $549. I don't know much about that guitar however. I always loved the more costly SG standard reissues but didn't wish to spend $1500. I have an Epi G-400 (Korean made, small Pickguard, early 60's reissue), I'm not unhappy with the guitar.I prefer heritage or satin cherry SG's, like the looks of the Epi, and I'm not sure how significant a difference there'd be with a Gibson USA at this price-point. Might be dealing with sharp fret edges, etc. I'm guessing the Gibson is better, however that's just a guess, and although affordable Gibson guitars exist now I don't wish to start with mod's. I sprung for a LP Jr Special because I don't have any guitars with P-90's, and I figure the Jr Special is a safe buy at $425.

Steven

Reaction score
To the OP: Just to clarify, all guitars made by Gibson under their own brand name are made in the USA. Although they do use some parts made overseas (bridges, tuners, and maybe pickups on at least one model), the guitars are cut, shaped, and assembled in the US.

With respect to year-end sales: It looks like Gibson is blowing out all of their guitar lines, not just those that use "alternative" fretboard materials. Of course, since almost all the guitars in Gibson's 2012 lineup used such materials, it amounts to nearly the same thing. The 2013 line uses rosewood almost across the board, except for the Studios (granadillo) and the Supremes (richlite).

I find two things interesting about the 2013 line. First, the Custom isn't part of the regular lineup. Second, the Supreme is still using richlite instead of ebony. If I had to guess, I'd say Gibson still hasn't obtained a steady supply of ebony to use on their production line guitars, but perhaps expects to have some in the near future. Maybe the 2013 production line Custom will debut later in the year once Gibson gets their ebony supply sorted.

Of course, this is just rampant speculation on my part.

Very informative post. Do you suppose we will see comparably priced Gibson USA guitars again on clearance (meaning LOW; such as between $400-$500) or is this a rarity. What do you speculate ? I was afraid to pass up on a Gibson at these low prices (don't wish to miss the last boat out so-to-speak). I'm wondering if this is the start of overseas production so Gibson can stay in the running with the more affordable lines, similar to Fender's standard line (exported). Although it looks as though they may be staying affloat with the tribute studio series, A more affordable line :) Regarding your alluding to "Perhaps pickups on one model" made overseas, well, I hope the P-90's that come on my guitar are USA made P-90's.

johnnytuinals

Reaction score
Hummm I bought a Blowout (think its more of a clear out of everything from years past}New Gibson Flying V in Heritage Cherry with hardshell case for $707
It was made in Early May of 2011 before the FBI raid
and uses a granadillo fretboard many might think its a alternative then the
other cheaper fretboards ............JT

Steven

Reaction score
Well, I hope this "blowout" of less expensive USA made guitars, at such affordable prices lasts for at least a little longer. $700 for a V with HSC is an excellent price, and that was 1 1/2 years ago. Perhaps Gibson has come way down on their prices over a longer period of time than I am realizing, and I've missed that fact ?:hmm: Will they settle for the smaller profit margin, or export in the foreseeable future ?

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
To the OP, they're made in the U.S So, at this point worrying about your playing is more of a significant issue than price.

Steven

Reaction score
To the OP, they're made in the U.S So, at this point worrying about your playing is more of a significant issue than price.

If I worried any more about my playing, I'd probably burn my guitars. THAT aspect has become a horror story. :laugh2: There's so much talent "out there".

My inquiry is generated from a curiosity as to whether or not this is the time to buy (or invest) in several Gibson guitars :) That's more or less where I'm coming from. I've snoozed and lost out on past once in a lifetime deals on decent guitars, and other times (such as with Fender's DeArmond blowout) purchased several guitars knowing these were not only good guitars (for $280) but might also be investments (given their quality), this might be a chance to purchase a few appreciating assets that I can also play (and not spend several thousand dollars taking a chance on). I'm an old fart, and in my days of eyeing guitars have NEVER seen Gibson lower it's prices this much...."Might this be a buyers market, and these investments" is a component of my inquiry. Perhaps lightening won't strike twice ?

I'm wondering if anyone else is curious as to whether or not Gibson is about to go the Fender route. Lower end brand name guitars exported.

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
If I worried any more about my playing, I'd probably burn my guitars. THAT aspect has become a horror story. :laugh2: There's so much talent "out there". My inquiry is generated from a curiosity as to whether or not this is the time to buy (or invest) in several Gibson guitars :) That's more or less where I'm coming from. I'm an old fart, and in my days of eyeing guitars have NEVER seen Gibson lower it's prices this much....Might these be investments ?

My point is you're worrying about the price, and you dont have to. Low price doesn't mean poor quality in this case.

cynic79

Reaction score
Very informative post. Do you suppose we will see comparably priced Gibson USA guitars again on clearance (meaning LOW; such as between $400-$500) or is this a rarity. What do you speculate ? I was afraid to pass up on a Gibson at these low prices (don't wish to miss the last boat out so-to-speak). I'm wondering if this is the start of overseas production so Gibson can stay in the running with the more affordable lines, similar to Fender's standard line (exported). Although it looks as though they may be staying affloat with the tribute studio series, A more affordable line :) Regarding your alluding to "Perhaps pickups on one model" made overseas, well, I hope the P-90's that come on my guitar are USA made P-90's.

The allegedly foreign pickups were connected to the Melody Maker that was released relatively recently. The humbucking pickup in at least one appeared to be a rebranded "Duncan Design" pickup, rather than one actually made by Gibson.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-gibsons/138230-ngd-mm-explorer-lotso-pics.html

To be honest, I'm not sure if their regular pickups are even made in house anymore. Does anyone else have an answer?

As for the discounts, who can say? Gibson has cut prices on outgoing lines in the past, and I imagine they'll do it in the future. If they decide to blow out any of their budget lines next year, I'd guess you'd find a few guitars in the $500 range.

cynic79

Reaction score
The price cuts this year were for a variety of reasons (sluggish economy, clearing out old product lines, etc.). I doubt it had anything to do with plans to move production overseas. Epiphone already covers that market.

River

Reaction score
It's not a good time to invest in new Gibson guitars unless you make $250,000+ a year and can deduct them from your taxes. If that were the case, I'd get my order in today.

Might be a great time to buy, though I'd still be buying used, personally.

Steven

Reaction score
I doubt it had anything to do with plans to move production overseas. Epiphone already covers that market.

I hope you are correct, and they don't do what Fender has done with their less costly line of "standard" etc guitars:fingersx: You mention "sluggish economy", and I wonder if that may serve as impetus to export.

Mordor

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, every legitimate Gibson is *insert Bruce Springsteen #1 hit song*

But yes, the finish and the hardware can really get the price down.

dspelman

Reaction score
Gibsons are all American made. The reason for the price reductions is Gibson is getting rid of some older models to make room for newer models. If you can get one of the closeouts at a good price, go ahead and take it. You'll be getting an American made Gibson.

Gibson is also producing these very cheaply by eliminating high-labor steps. Thus, you'll see most of these do NOT have filled grain, do NOT have a gloss finish, often do NOT have binding and do not have great fretwork.

Asian guitars own the under-$1000 market and provide things like real ebony fretboards, real abalone or MOP inlays, excellent fretwork, better quality finishing and hardware at least as good as these cheaper Gibsons. About the only thing they can't provide is a Gibson logo on the headstock.

dspelman

Reaction score
The price cuts this year were for a variety of reasons (sluggish economy, clearing out old product lines, etc.). I doubt it had anything to do with plans to move production overseas. Epiphone already covers that market.

Gibson will eventually at least ADD production (for the Gibson brand) overseas, and they will aggressively change from lacquer to a catalyzed cured finish; the only questions are when and how they'll do that. I'd look for a Gibson (China only) guitar brand that will take advantage of quindao production capacity and elimination of international shipping. The largest production block (and customer complaint area) at the current Gibson plant is the paint department, and moving to a different finish would have guitars dry to dry in and out of finishing within 24 hours. They're currently eliminating a lot of finishing on the cheap guitars (tributes, midtowns, etc.), but can't do that on their flagship products.

Latest Threads