Gibson (as sole brand on headstock)

Steven

Reaction score
Hello,

I posted this in another thread but it went unnoticed. My question is as follows.

If a guitar you purchase from a reputable dealer says Gibson on the headstock (not some subsidiary such as Epiphone made by Gibson), but Gibson as the sole logo (and then perhaps the model) is it ALWAYS Gibson USA ? IOW, has Gibson started manufacturing any of the "Gibson" model guitars in china, or has it remained a USA corporation ? As stated, I'm aware it has lesser "by Gibson" lines, and brands it has purchased (manu'd overseas), however I'm not talking about them.

My question is prompted by the reduction in price of some of the "Gibson" guitars. I bought an inexpensive Gibson LP Jr. Special... are these USA made guitars ?

I'm also aware of the counterfeiting that goes on in China. Not talking about those, but Gibson guitars bought from a reputable Gibson dealership. Is it always either Gibson USA, or Gibson Custom shop ?

The Archer

Reaction score
Gibsons are made in the USA, not china. lithuania, Korea, India, Indonesia or anywhere else.

Guitars with satin finishes etc cost far less to finish so you can save a lot there. Not putting binding around a body can keep the price down. Toss in that CNC is very cost effective and it is possible for Gibson to release very inexpensive American made instruments.

rlconklin

Reaction score
Gibsons are all American made. The reason for the price reductions is Gibson is getting rid of some older models to make room for newer models. If you can get one of the closeouts at a good price, go ahead and take it. You'll be getting an American made Gibson.

dangerdog

Reaction score
Hello,

I posted this in another thread but it went unnoticed. My question is as follows.

If a guitar you purchase from a reputable dealer says Gibson on the headstock (not some subsidiary such as Epiphone made by Gibson), but Gibson as the sole logo (and then perhaps the model) is it ALWAYS Gibson USA ? IOW, has Gibson started manufacturing any of the "Gibson" model guitars in china, or has it remained a USA corporation ? As stated, I'm aware it has lesser "by Gibson" lines, and brands it has purchased, however I'm not talking about them.

My question is prompted by the reduction in price of some of the "Gibson" guitars. I bought an inexpensive Gibson LP Jr. Special... are these USA made guitars ?

I'm also aware of the counterfeiting that goes on in China. Not talking about those, but Gibson guitars bought from a reputable Gibson dealership. Is it always either Gibson USA, or Gibson Custom shop ?

It SHOULD be a made in USA Gibson if it says Gibson and you bought it from a reputable dealer but I have a feeling that if you post some pics of the guitar and some more details about the dealer we will come to some other conclusion.

Post some pics, decent ones and I am pretty sure that I, and some other will be able to tell you pretty quickly what you have.

Careful, as you might also get a slew of losers with no idea what they are talking about pretending that they do.

Pics will tell the tale. Your opinion of what reputable means is very secondary.

Steven

Reaction score
Gibsons are all American made. The reason for the price reductions is Gibson is getting rid of some older models to make room for newer models. If you can get one of the closeouts at a good price, go ahead and take it. You'll be getting an American made Gibson.

Thank you, you both answered my question. I just bought a new Gibson (closeout) from MF and it will arrive Wednesday. Hence the nature of my question. (Since I got the guitar for $425) It seemed too good (pricewise)to be made in USA so I was wondering :) The guitar I bought was a LP Jr. Special.

Thanks again

Steve

leon requentin

Reaction score
Gibson uses Gibson logo only for Gibson USA Guitars and mandolins. "By Gibson" logo before late 2006, used for Orville guitars in Japan. There is no guitar made in China using "Gibson" logo. All china made Gibson guitars are fake.

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gibson guitars are made in the USA using components that are manufactured overseas

Steven

Reaction score
Yes I'm aware of Orville, and Epiphone "By Gibson" made abroad, as well as other brands Gibson has purchased. Thanks for you response.

Steven

Reaction score
Gibson guitars are made in the USA using components that are manufactured overseas

Are there many USA guitar corporations that do not use "components" that are manu'd overseas though ?

Steven

Reaction score
All china made Gibson guitars are fake.

Thank you. I no longer assume a *primarily* USA brand hasn't shifted to production or some aspect of production overseas. Since this is so prevalent. I believe Guild is now made in China. I wouldn't wish to pay the price of a D-55 for a chinese made guitar OR even over $400 for a non USA made LP Jr; LP Jr Customs for under $500, as well as SG Specials for $549, and two PU Melody Makers for $549 (or perhaps 529 I don't recall Ash's price) had me wondering. As they say "If it seems too good to be true" :)

mdubya

Reaction score
I believe the models that have been on closeout pricing all used 'alternative' fretboard material. Now that Gibson has resolved their issue with Rosewood and Ebony, they are clearing out ALL alternative fretboard material guitars.

Steven

Reaction score
Gibsons are made in the USA, not china. lithuania, Korea, India, Indonesia or anywhere else.

Guitars with satin finishes etc cost far less to finish so you can save a lot there. Not putting binding around a body can keep the price down. Toss in that CNC is very cost effective and it is possible for Gibson to release very inexpensive American made instruments.

Thank you, these prices were unusually low however (for Gibson), and what had me wondering was that I was seeing prices AS LOW as slighly over $400 which seemed like something out of the 1970's. As you'll recall around late 1970's, or perhaps 81 or 82 Gibson had models without binding such as "The Paul", or "The SG" (the firebrand makes) even the Sonex that were around $400 at about 30% off (this was 30 years ago), Seeing some of these prices today given the fact that Gibson's usually overpriced got me curious. I follow Gibsons pricing somewhat closely (however I haven't read my music catalogs in a few months). I haven't seen them closed out like this before.

Steven

Reaction score
I believe the models that have been on closeout pricing all used 'alternative' fretboard material. Now that Gibson has resolved their issue with Rosewood and Ebony, they are clearing out ALL alternative fretboard material guitars.

Yes, I noticed most of the VERY low priced guitars have a baked maple fretboard. I hope we aren't seeing the beginning of Gibson (non USA) guitars. It's nice that Gibson has become more affordable for it's USA guitars :)

Johnny Alien

Reaction score

What exact parts are made overseas though? The body is cut and finished here. They make their own pickups here (I assume). So we are talking about the pots, switches, electronics and maybe the tuners? I have no clue who makes the Gibson branded tuners.

ShoalsRanger

Reaction score

Nope, sorry. This is incorrect.

Damn, seriously....I wish people would quit making statements on things when they have no clue what they are talking about.

mdubya

Reaction score
Nope, sorry. This is incorrect.

Damn, seriously....I wish people would quit making statements on things when they have no clue what they are talking about.

How so? It seems fairly obvious.

And how do you know any better?

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score

They are just moving out old models, man. They do they same with cars every year.

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
MADE IN USA

That's what my cheaper Gibson says on it.
All Gibsons are American made.
:)

Latest Threads