Gibson Amber speed knobs are impossible to find!

p90fool

Reaction score
Wow..........I've been away from the forum for a while, just taking a break, mostly due to threads just like this one! When is this crap gonna end? Someone comes and asks a simple question and................ BOOM.........here we go with the "google's your best friend" kinda bullshit, and "can't you search for yourself", "don't YOU have the internet" and so on and so on..........now I know exactly why I took a break!!! Unreal and just my luck that this is the first thread I look at after almost 5 months!

I know exactly how you feel. I'm new around here and come here for the knowledgeable posters, but it sometimes seems like all the pondlife from Harmony Central has suddenly traded their Agiles for Gibsons.
Musta been the pre-Christmas blowouts. :D

suedehead

Reaction score
Wow..........I've been away from the forum for a while, just taking a break, mostly due to threads just like this one! When is this crap gonna end? Someone comes and asks a simple question and................ BOOM.........here we go with the "google's your best friend" kinda bullshit, and "can't you search for yourself", "don't YOU have the internet" and so on and so on..........now I know exactly why I took a break!!! Unreal and just my luck that this is the first thread I look at after almost 5 months!

There have been a few pissy posts recently.

Is there a full moon?

p90fool

Reaction score
Wow. People take my posts way too serious.

Well you could try; "I think I've found what you're looking for, is this link any use?"
Instead of "hey %^&*wad, why don't you try %^&*ing google, it only took me five minutes, you %^&*ing useless %^&*!"

That way we're all happy. Sorry for your bad English. :)

marianozz

Reaction score

You should at least read the original post to which you tried to give a "funny" answer...

You can try to help someone who asks a question without being a dick in the process... Just common courtesy...

Frogfur

Reaction score
I hope this is not the future for the forum i signed up for.

roeg

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who gave relevant advice...you know who you are.

No thanks to some of the douchebags...you also know who you are.

Special thanks to ShawnLutz for clearing what my post was asking - gold knobs are NOT amber knobs haha

And it looks like I'm going to just go with the StewMac ones whenever they decide to come in stock. It's going on a USA LP Studio so CTS would be correct it seems - thanks SLewis and and GitFiddle!

the amber speed knobs ARE hard to find.I have a 1989 Lespaul Antique Sunburst which has gone beautiful golden *burnt*brown...saw and grabed 4 knobs a while back when they appeared on the rack locally,and have never seen them again.They are a thing of beauty on the right burst,like mine because they have that antique look that matches my burst perfectly...good hunting.

johnnyk

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good place to get/order amber speed knobs?

Genuine Gibson ones would be preferred... it seems the aftermarket ones are a bit redder than they should be.

I can't seem to find any anywhere.

I don't know for sure these are Gibson but they are what I have
100_1336.jpg

100_1337.jpg

crazytrain513

Reaction score
Well you could try; "I think I've found what you're looking for, is this link any use?"
Instead of "hey %^&*wad, why don't you try %^&*ing google, it only took me five minutes, you %^&*ing useless %^&*!"

That way we're all happy. Sorry for your bad English. :)

You should at least read the original post to which you tried to give a "funny" answer...

You can try to help someone who asks a question without being a dick in the process... Just common courtesy...

These are all fantastic ideas! I'd say you could give any of these a try and you would be fine, just so that people don't feel bad for you and send you complimentary Playtex thinking that will solve the problem.

the amber speed knobs ARE hard to find.I have a 1989 Lespaul Antique Sunburst which has gone beautiful golden *burnt*brown...saw and grabed 4 knobs a while back when they appeared on the rack locally,and have never seen them again.They are a thing of beauty on the right burst,like mine because they have that antique look that matches my burst perfectly...good hunting.

Ah exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! If you ever sell them I'll be the first to pick them up :fingersx:

Actually Gibson do make amber speed knobs but they ARE difficult to find. We ordered some for a guy who comes to our store in Calgary... I'm not sure what the process was as he wasn't my customer but it took a while, I know that much.

Following this post I called Gibson and they told me there was no such way and that amber speed knobs were never made...I may have just gotten an idiot but I can try again and hope for someone more helpful. Thanks for the heads up though!

92Standard

Reaction score
Gibson has amber top hats though! Doesn't make any sense haha

Don't try to figure it out dude, you'll go nuts!!! I think that's correct that they only make "amber" tophats but speed knobs are considered "gold". Just find a color you like and work with it. The more you try to make sense of it all, the more brain cells you'll loose. You saw what happened to your thread here. People just don't seem to be so willing to help anymore (whether they think it's a legit question or not).

FWIW, I've purchased from RSGuitarworks many times and have always been happy with the product. I see they have some "gold" (haha) speed knobs which look pretty cool. Maybe you could call them and ask.

ACTUALLY, I just saw they have some "Aged gold speed knobs" for $32.95 which may be what you're looking for regarding color! They look more amber if you compare them to the "new gold" one's they sell.

crazytrain513

Reaction score
Don't try to figure it out dude, you'll go nuts!!! I think that's correct that they only make "amber" tophats but speed knobs are considered "gold". Just find a color you like and work with it. The more you try to make sense of it all, the more brain cells you'll loose. You saw what happened to your thread here. People just don't seem to be so willing to help anymore (whether they think it's a legit question or not).

FWIW, I've purchased from RSGuitarworks many times and have always been happy with the product. I see they have some "gold" (haha) speed knobs which look pretty cool. Maybe you could call them and ask.

ACTUALLY, I just saw they have some "Aged gold speed knobs" for $32.95 which may be what you're looking for regarding color! They look more amber if you compare them to the "new gold" one's they sell.

Those knobs at RS Guitarworks are EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Ah man, just gave up and ordered some gold ones FOR SIX BUCKS with the intention of aging them myself. Nevertheless, thanks for the help brotha!

92Standard

Reaction score
Those knobs at RS Guitarworks are EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Ah man, just gave up and ordered some gold ones FOR SIX BUCKS with the intention of aging them myself. Nevertheless, thanks for the help brotha!

No problem dude, glad I could help! Good luck with the aging process. Would like to see how they turn out.

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score

Maybe put a smiley in the post ;) or something.

I know I've noticed on a couple of different occasions after reading some of your post think is this guy being a dick or sarcastic?

Latest Threads