Gibson acoustics being faked. Did not know.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got pretty ok with identifying fake Gibson electrics, but I had no idea they did fakes of acoustics as well? Well Crap!

Just a heads up in case others have had their heads up their arses like me :)

http://dayton.craigslist.org/msg/5890581084.html

From the ad:

"Fake Gibson Hummingbird - $300 (xenia)"
RWOjTdo.jpg

"I have a fake Gibson Hummingbird for sale! It plays great and sounds pretty good! It's has no electronics. If you have any questions feel free to ask!"

TheX

Don't look directly at edro!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw my first one about 9 years ago.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I heard of them, the big banana Martin D42 or what ever has around on the Chinese copy adds. The wood for these turds is what, palm trees? Nothing is sacred, I know that and don't like it. Nope not for $300 bucks I don't.

dsmcl77

Reaction score
At least the guy is being honest. How many would try to sell it for the real thing?

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugly. Kill it with fire!

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about this.

I know that Japan has the "lacquer line" which is really good stuff. Hard to find out about. I'm also aware of the "Orville" line. Also nice stuff.

But I'm not aware of any "chibson" acoustics. This is eye-opening, to say the least.

They are likely all plywood, which makes them of -Zero- worth.

James R

Reaction score
Aw dang, ain't nothing sacred anymore?

chasenblues

Reaction score
I know nothing about this.

I know that Japan has the "lacquer line" which is really good stuff. Hard to find out about. I'm also aware of the "Orville" line. Also nice stuff.

But I'm not aware of any "chibson" acoustics. This is eye-opening, to say the least.

They are likely all plywood, which makes them of -Zero- worth.

I've watched a few of those "unboxing" vids on youtube where the people had bought knock off Chinese copies of TOL Martin acoustics. They looked good from a distance,But the closer they looked/inspected the more the flaws became clearer.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Looks quite good to be hohnest, but as chasenblues stated, close up they may be bad.

I suppose it is only worth faking the high value acoustics as the amount of work necessary is probably quite high (in comparisson to the electrics).

JimmyT

Reaction score
First one I've seen, but it makes sense that they exist. They'll fake anything that's worth enough for them to justify the effort.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the pics, I can't tell if it's real or not.
I sure hope one can tell it's not a 3K+ guitar when test driving one.
I've got some learning to do.

I've taken chances and bought guitars online and had great luck with receiving a good product. That's electrics though.
I will NOT buy an acoustic online or anywhere without trying it first. There are too many dogs out there to do that. I picked up and plucked a couple Martin D-18s at GC and they sounded and played very different from each other that I put them both down and walked away scratching my head. Why were they not even close to each other....i don't know. I decided that when I do purchase a new acoustic....it will speak to me and I'll know it's the one.

I hate that the waters are muddied once again with garbage copies of great instruments.

Latest Threads