Gibson 61r 61t pickup set

Derald

Reaction score
I swapped in an A2 magnet to make mine a 59 Tribute and mine were double black. From a 2018 SG Std

Dave Makowski

Reaction score
I have the new Gibson 61R & 61T "Zebra" open coil set of humbuckers in my 2019 Gibson Les Paul Classic Honey 'Burst. I am by no means a pickup expert however I have been playing guitar since 1979 and over the years I have learned what I like and what I don't like. Somewhere along the way I realized that Alnico V magnets were the best for the tone I love. So whether it's humbuckers in a Les Paul or single coils in my Strat, Alnico V magnet based pickup's are the ones I really love. I have played the Gibson 490R & 498T set for years. Yes, I know the 490R is made with Alnico II magnets. I also like the Gibson 496R & 500T Super Ceramics for certain songs. Well, after all this time I have fallen in love with the all new 61R & 61T Humbuckers from Gibson. I would describe these humbuckers as very quiet, very touch sensitive, extremely dynamic, and really really nice harmonic overtones. These pickup's can do it all but work great with Marshall Vacuum Tube Amplifier's. The "Gain" tone you can get from these pickup's to me is the just right amount. They are clear and bright but not too bright. If you have played a Gibson 498T bridge pickup these are like that pickup only with MORE of everything.

Flyfish-mt

Reaction score
Agreed, I’m really liking the 61’s in my ‘19 LP Classic.

Mondoslug

Reaction score
Later that day, I just picked up a 2020 SG Standard 61 and so far I don't really care for these pickups...at least not in this guitar. I dunno, that might change, they seem a little on the harsh side and the neck pickup is pretty muddy...in this particular guitar anyway.

Mondoslug

Reaction score
So let's say I wanted to replace these in a 2020 61 Standard with something less "aggressive" as you say, whats out there? I do want to be able to overdrive a cleanish amp say a little and also want it to do the thing with an OD pedal in front of course, just want something a little cleaner maybe not quite as gassed up. Preferably nothing too exotic...57s, Seth Lovers, Antiquities, or...?

Thanks!

Saiko

Reaction score
'57s are less aggressive than any of the Burstbuckers, including the '61 pickups, they might be exactly what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Alligatorbling

หัวเราะดังลั่น
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love them in my SG. very musical clean and they push the tubes nicely. I give the bridge an A and the neck a B+

Latest Threads