Gibson 61r 61t pickup set

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
those who have owned or played a guitar with them... what’s your thoughts?

Saiko

Reaction score
Have them in a 2018 SG Standard... I love them. I would describe them as essentially a very aggressive Burstbucker 1/2 combo. They aren't harsh but they definitely push the amp more than standard Burstbuckers or '57 Classics, especially in the SG.

They clean up very well when rolling the volume back and sound great for leads. I have found that I like my Les Paul with the Gibson '59 Humbuckers for rhythm but then I like to use my SG with the '61 Humbuckers for leads.

If you like Burstbuckers, you will probably really like the '61 pickups. If you dislike Burstbuckers you probably will not.

I will add that they, along with the '59 Humbuckers (Same wind with a differeny magnet) are probably the most articulate humbuckers Gibson has made since the T-Top, IMO. That being said, I have heard the same about the Custombuckers but have not tried those.

EndGame00

Reaction score
The 2019 LP Classic has the 61 BBuckers.. the bridge measures at 7.89 Ohms and neck at 7.84..

ive had ProBuckers (Epi’s version of the BBucker 2-3), and the 61 has an enhanced brightness on the top end, especially on the G, B and E high strings... though they tend to be boomy on the lower E and A strings... I dont find the 61 inherently midrangey or honkey that the 490t or 498t-type PU’s are known for...

BKS

Reaction score
Would a 61' neck combine well with a Burstbucker Pro Bridge??
I have no guitar with them but listened to them on youtube as i have some serious gas for one. Many people that don't like them. Probably the same that hate the Burstbuckers wich i love.. .

Latearrival

Reaction score
I have just bought a 2018 SG with the 61 pick-ups, and I have to say I am very impressed!

Previously I tried a 2019 SG with the 490T and 490R pick-ups, and didn't like the tone at all - sort of flat and boxy! The 61s sound MUCH better to my ears!

I was considering replacing the 61s with Classic 57 and 57+ (same as in my Les Paul) - but having just had a band practice with the SG, I have to say they sounded awesome - very full, and prominent in the mix, so I may well leave them in....

I think the 61s are very punchy in the mid-range, with an upper mid push as well. The 57s by comparison sound almost scooped!

I think the 57s are still the ultimate for articulateness and clarity, but the 61 have more punch! - better for rock?

Saiko

Reaction score
I have just bought a 2018 SG with the 61 pick-ups, and I have to say I am very impressed!

Previously I tried a 2019 SG with the 490T and 490R pick-ups, and didn't like the tone at all - sort of flat and boxy! The 61s sound MUCH better to my ears!

I was considering replacing the 61s with Classic 57 and 57+ (same as in my Les Paul) - but having just had a band practice with the SG, I have to say they sounded awesome - very full, and prominent in the mix, so I may well leave them in....

I think the 61s are very punchy in the mid-range, with an upper mid push as well. The 57s by comparison sound almost scooped!

I think the 57s are still the ultimate for articulateness and clarity, but the 61 have more punch! - better for rock?
Part of what you are describing is the SG itself, they generally have more midrange and are more punchy than a Les Paul. That being said, the '61 humbuckers with their Alnico V magnets are typically going to have more punch than the '57 Classics with their Alnico II magnets. The '57 Classics have a smoother sound to them. I really like both pickups but the '61s are staying in my SG as long as I own it.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
What y’all describe the neck pickup to be a typical humbucker generally speaking ?

Picked up a ‘19 SG ‘61 and the neck sounds like it’s in single coil mode (despite it not being push pull pots) and it has a hum like a single coil. Flip it to the bridge and there a noticeable bump in volume and no hum. I checked the wiring and swapped them around to rule out the PCB. I ordered a replacement from Stratosphere to see if I’m crazy and it’s supposed to sound that way or I have a dud neck pickup

Saiko

Reaction score
What y’all describe the neck pickup to be a typical humbucker generally speaking ?

Picked up a ‘19 SG ‘61 and the neck sounds like it’s in single coil mode (despite it not being push pull pots) and it has a hum like a single coil. Flip it to the bridge and there a noticeable bump in volume and no hum. I checked the wiring and swapped them around to rule out the PCB. I ordered a replacement from Stratosphere to see if I’m crazy and it’s supposed to sound that way or I have a dud neck pickup
Definitely sounds like there is something wrong with the pickup and/or wiring. You said when you swapped the bridge/neck pickups the same pickup still did that so it sounds like the pickup is faulty. An easy way to tell would be with a multi-meter, it should measure in the 7.5k range with that pickup. I would return it to where you purchased it and have it fixed under warranty.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Well I ordered it online and an exchange would be painless and free but I really like this one. The fretboard is nice and dark.. looks almost like ebony. I did check the neck pickup output and it was lower than the bridge but not drastically lower.. for $80 I’m having a factory takeout pickup sent to me.. I would spend at least half that in gas bringing it to a local Gibson dealer.. warranty should fix it but I live out in the country and it’s much quicker and more convenient for me to take this route.

Latearrival

Reaction score
Well I ordered it online and an exchange would be painless and free but I really like this one. The fretboard is nice and dark.. looks almost like ebony. I did check the neck pickup output and it was lower than the bridge but not drastically lower.. for $80 I’m having a factory takeout pickup sent to me.. I would spend at least half that in gas bringing it to a local Gibson dealer.. warranty should fix it but I live out in the country and it’s much quicker and more convenient for me to take this route.
Sounds like a good solution - let us know how it turns out?

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Sure will.. I’m sure I’ll have the replacement by the end of next week.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Update.... replacement pickup came in from Stratosphere and it sounds like it should with zero hum.. I’m tempted to crack open the original to see why it sounds like it’s running half throttle.... I’ve never heard of it happening before but..first time for everything I guess..

jbash

Reaction score
They are the same pickups as the 59 Tributes introduced in 2014

59 Tributes have A2 Mags
61 Zebras have A5 mags (mine had short A5's)

I've owned/own both. They are essentially a Burstbucker 1/2 output but with hotter coil reversed so they are brighter/clearer and a little less meaty than a BB1/2.

I can see how the 61s would be awesome in an all mahogany guitar like a SG/Explorer/V which tend to have a warmer mid and high. In the Les Pauls I tried them in, they were a little too lean and toppy- even more than a BB PRO (but less harsh than the Pros). I prefer the 59Ts or BB1/2. But each guitar is unique, so..

Derald

Reaction score
Just got a 2018 SG with the '61s. They sound great. Better than I thought. I was going to replace them with a 490(A5) and BB1, but after jamming the guitar with the '61s I'm going to leave them in. As Saiko stated, they are punchy in the mid-range and have a nice top end. Cuts though a mix very well. In solo, they sound ok to me. But when I mixed in another track on a recording, the '61s cut much better than I thought.
Compared to my '17 SG with '57s, they have a little more bite. I really like the '61s. I also considered swapping the A5 out for an A2 to make them '59 Tribute pickups, but from what I've read, they may not work as well in the SG. I heard nothing but high praise for '59 Tribute pickups so that was my initial reasoning for wanting to swap mags. But in this guitar I'm going to keep it just the way it is. I think it's one of those guitars that just 'speaks' in its own voice that is very pleasing to my ears just the way it came from the factory.

grayd8

Reaction score
I liked them, but popped them out to try my low wind Ox4’s and I liked those even better.

dro

Reaction score
Played a 2019 classic today. Uncovered 61s Played through a Chinese AC30 112 Not sure if it's the amp I didn't like or the pickups. This was at GC in Independence MO. Amp selection not the best. Have burstbucker pros On my current Les Pauls. 498 500 on a Classic. all sound fantastic to me. This was not so much. But there again could've been the amp. Not gonna drag my rig down there. My interest would be the 60's standard anyway. Covered PUs. Maybe take one of my Lesters in and play through the AC 30 see if it still sucks.

goodguy

Reaction score
Does anyone know if 61R 61t from a recent SG are Zebra under the stock nickel covers?

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
they’re just plain black... had to take one apart a while back and it was black

Latest Threads