Gibson '61 Humbuckers

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by rem22, Jan 13, 2014.

1. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

hi girls :)

I've seen that LPJ 2014 and SGJ 2014 (Gibson) have new humbuckers, '61 Gibson.

Did you have an opportunity to test them and how would you describe them ?

I'm considering an SGJ (Gibson), I already have a Tribute Plus (EPiphone) that came with Classic 57/57+.
    I'd like to have a second guitar, but more specialized in clean tones. I like the lighter body of the SG, and I also like the faded finish. But I don't want to have big dirty humbuckers in it....

I'm also considering a strat, since they're great for clean tones.
    Thanks

2. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I am interested in the specs, if anyone knows or has a link. ???

3. 02589

02589 Senior Member

There is an ad on Reverb that says...

Pick Up These Incredible New 2014 Gibson '61 Humbucker Pickups Matched Set.
    Gibson's New 2014 '61 Zebra humbucker pickups with ohms 7.63 and 7.45 for that true Early PAF sound. Constructed in a similar fashion as the '59 Tribute humbucker, the '61 Zebra features an Alnico V magnet for a more souped-up '60s growl.

Judging from an eBay ad from Stratosphere, they seem to be 4 or 5 wire.

4. jamman

jamman Premium Member

I don't know much about the pups , but If you don't like them , you can swap the Magnets out or just swap the pickup out for 1's you do like . While having the guitar you want . Easy goes it . :cool:

5. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Senior Member

Yeah, since these are lower output they might sound great with some A4's in them.

6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Sounds like the 59 and 61 are just a mag swap away from each other.

1 person likes this.
  7. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I got to play real '61's :)

They were very, very hot. Extremely difficult to stay clean on a 5-watt amp.

Sorry, don't know about the new ones and I'm not at all helpful... Still :)

8. KatManDew

KatManDew Junior Member

I have a set of the '61 Zebras in my '14 SGJ. The specs and tone are almost identical to the Burstbucker Pros which are in my '13 LP Std. Premium. Main difference is the BB's Pros have covers, while the '61s do not. Both sets have the A5 mags, and both are potted. Output ohms is very close as well.

I would note that the '61s sound very good in my SGJ. I can go from almost Jazzy to AC/DC, and all points in between, on a good tube amp.

There is a set of '61s for sale on Reverb.com right now:
    https://reverb.com/item/129274-gibs...th-screws-springs-and-pickup-rings-2013-zebra

9. KatManDew

KatManDew Junior Member

Since you are also interested in a Strat like clean tone, you could go with 4 wire '61s and coil tap them with push/pull type pots to get more of a clean/less hot single coil type tone. Without doing that, you can also of course just roll back your volume controls on the 61's to get a better clean tone.

10. KatManDew

KatManDew Junior Member

I should also mention that the '61s & BB Pros both also have unmatched coil windings. There are some short audio clips of the BB pros at this link:

Good Tone Hunting: The Gibson Pickup Guide (Now with Audio Clips!)

And there's a YouTube video of the '14 SGJ with '61 Zebras on this link:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-IpBMnRULg]Gibson 2014 Guitars - The SGJ & the SG Special - YouTube[/ame]

11. bill m

bill m Premium Member MLP Vendor

I've been inside quite a few 61's and most of them had pretty even coil windings and are usually in the mid to upper 7k range, with either short A2, or short A5 mags.

2 people like this.
  12. jbash

jbash Senior Member

I picked up a set of these on Ebay and threw them in my 2014 classic. Quite nice, they are not massively different than the BBpros, but enough so to make for a much nicer pup, IMO. They are not as brittle/harsh as the Pros in the mids and highs. With 500k pots I was worried they would be much brighter and thinner than the 57 classics in the guitar, and definitely not the case.

13. JSB MD

JSB MD Senior Member

I just bought a set on Ebay for my new 2013 SGJ. Hate those black plastic covered 490s. I assumed the originals were quick connects and didnt look and bought quick connect 61s. when I went to install I was suprised that the original was 2 wired souldered. So cut off the quick connects and wired it up. When I plugged in to my pleasant surprise the Neck is out of phase. I dont know what I did wrong, but being a huge Greenie fan, I am not going to fix it. Like these PUs. Hotter than vintage. I like them best with vol at 7.

14. bassmannlespaulman

bassmannlespaulman Senior Member

Tried them. ..ehhh...if you want authentic 61 sounding pickups..go to electric city or throbak. ..as bill said they were using short 2s & 5s at that time. ..n I know for a fact they were not potted haha...these appear to be long magnet. .but hey everybody got different taste..I prefer what's great but what's also vintage accurate

15. jbash

jbash Senior Member

I agree the modern 61Z are not terribly accurate to real 61s. But mine did have short roughcast mags, which surprised me.

16. JSB MD

JSB MD Senior Member

I don't care what they are supposed to be. My ears really like these pickups. I ordered some TVT CTS pots and sprague caps, so I can explore all the tones available with them. Still going to leave them out of phase. I give them 5 stars

4 people like this.
  17. kboman

kboman Senior Member

A healthy attitude that sometimes gets a bit lost! :thumb:

2 people like this.
  18. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

It is interesting what Gibson says makes them different from Burstbuckers.

I would love to hear them.

Historical accuracy? Pffft...the only thing truly, historically, accurate is the real thing.