Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 QC Issue

PauloQS

Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with it. I agree with the store’s conclusion. However, if you’re not happy with it, just get a refund. Is the store not willing to process the return?

Injector

Reaction score
I purchased in store, dealer is saying it’s normal but are contacting Gibson UK
Ah, if purchased in store you have no cooling off period. If you had bought it online you could return it with zero issues. Bummer.
I would go around other Gibsons in their store and observe for tooling marks etc. Find one that doesn't have the issues yours has and then ask them again if yours is normal....

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
I purchased in store, dealer is saying it’s normal but are contacting Gibson UK
Why didn’t you do a proper inspection at the store and ask your questions with the dealer then before laying out the cash?..... it doesn’t make any sense...... you’ll never enjoy this instrument at this point.... there are no answers that will fix it,..except a partial refund... or a replacement.

Good luck:cheers:

Last edited:

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you had it your hands before purchase, the store could counter with, "Why didn't you say so then?)

LP-Lover

Reaction score
Well certainly don’t feel great now after those remarks :-(.. in hindsight yes I should have inspected things more closely, was stupid.. blinded by excitement of getting my dream guitar and assuming all would be ok on a £5k guitar. It caught my eye in the shop but thought it was just a bit of binding bleed I’d read about (I’ve never owned a Gibson like this before). On further inspection at home I started to question whether this was normal or acceptable on a guitar of this price.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well certainly don’t feel great now after those remarks :-(.. in hindsight yes I should have inspected things more closely, was stupid.. blinded by excitement of getting my dream guitar and assuming all would be ok on a £5k guitar. It caught my eye in the shop but thought it was just a bit of binding bleed I’d read about (I’ve never owned a Gibson like this before). On further inspection at home I started to question whether this was normal or acceptable on a guitar of this price.
This is a acceptable answer,.... another thing that may have helped is understanding the concept of these reissues.... the Custom Shop is trying replicate the 1958-60 standard with all the tool marks and clumsiness of those flawed instruments as requested by all those skeptical purists..... these guitars weren’t perfection then.... they were put on a pedestal by fans of the artists that used these as tools to make great music...... not because they were perfect handmade creations.

This model is designed to be this way.... and I agree..... overpriced.

Maybe something in the Custom Shop line other than a reissue might meet your expectations.

zamdrang

Reaction score
I feel for you, I would feel the same way if I'd spent that kind of coin and not noticed it at the store. At that price it's ridiculous imo. I think Gibson QC blows and always has. That being said, it is a piece of wood and hand made, if it plays well, you like it and dig it's vibe.. then something like that can quickly turn from a flaw into uniqueness or personality.

Personally I like binding bleed and was bummed when I realized I bought an R9 from a year that doesn't bleed apparently.. 2011

Archtopanimal

Reaction score
Try your best for a refund . This is most unfortunate and I empathize with you entirely . I won't buy factory made high priced guitars as they're they are too often just made by a group of employees of the moment with a few old timers ...
Here's one of my babies : no factory can make , nor obtain materials to produce something like this .

Attachments

danzego

Reaction score
How about this for a $6500 guitar?

This was something the QC person should have caught even if blindfolded. It was during the last of the Crazy King Henry J days, but still. Was told by Gibson it was normal for a VOS Reissue. Yeah, made no sense to me either.
That issue right there is precisely why my new 2020 60th/R0 V1 is at Gibson right now with me trying to figure out when I can expect it back. My guitar has been gone just over 2 months now- longer than I had it in my hands- and tomorrow will mark the third email and an entire month since I started trying to get a rough estimate (I waited several weeks before even asking if they had a chance to look at it). I’ve heard absolutely nothing from the repair facility or Custom Shop- not sure who is actually performing the work.

I was put in touch with a business manager from the dealer I got it from and he has been helping me out. He’s been great, but he can’t seem to get an answer out of these guys. It’s so frustrating. I don’t even know what to do anymore.

I will say, mine isn’t quite as bad as yours and I figured it would smooth out with some playing time, but when it didn’t, that’s when I called the shop I bought it from and they got me in contact with Gibson.

Last edited:

Hogie34

Reaction score
View attachment 484976
This was a LP that I ordered online from GC in November 2013.
Totally mismatched top.
Fretboard that was supposed to be rosewood- never saw rosewood like that.
Had minor flaws all over too.
Went back the next day.
I've owned at least 20 LPs, at least 10 Custom Shop, and not one had binding ridges or binding bleeding, and that includes Historics.
There should not be any binding bleed when the guitar is brand new.
Poor workmanship.
That’s not a rosewood board. You bought a 2013 Signature T which came with that god awful granadillo board. They switched to Rosewood fretboards on the 2014.

christopherJ

Reaction score
I
That issue right there is precisely why my new 2020 60th/R0 V1 is at Gibson right now with me trying to figure out when I can expect it back. My guitar has been gone just over 2 months now- longer than I had it in my hands- and tomorrow will mark the third email and an entire month since I started trying to get a rough estimate (I waited several weeks before even asking if they had a chance to look at it). I’ve heard absolutely nothing from the repair facility or Custom Shop- not sure who is actually performing the work.

I was put in touch with a business manager from the dealer I got it from and he has been helping me out. He’s been great, but he can’t seem to get an answer out of these guys. It’s so frustrating. I don’t even know what to do anymore.

I will say, mine isn’t quite as bad as yours and I figured it would smooth out with some playing time, but when it didn’t, that’s when I called the shop I bought it from and they got me in contact with Gibson.
The dealer and I went round and round with Gibson too. They claimed it was normal for a VOS guitar. There were other areas of body binding that had the binding scraped way too far and the orange peel was so bad on the neck it made a washboard noise when sliding up and down with my hand. That finish goober in the shot I posted actually scratched up my hand. They ultimately refused to do anything so it went back for a refund. As far as I know it was resold as is.

ChuckNOS

Reaction score
Of you're not happy now, you will never be happy. You should get a refund and purchase elsewhere.

Also, if you want to scream just a bit more, take a look under the pick guard. On mine, the bolt protruded from the nut enough to give a little puncture hole where none should be. Maybe that will give you a bit more leverage with your dealer & Gibson.

For your reference, attached are photo's of my Factoryburst 60th R9 after 1/12 years of play. The "bleed" is real but the QC on mine was better, to a degree. (dated Jan 18, 2019 build).

Attachments

christopherJ

Reaction score
This is a acceptable answer,.... another thing that may have helped is understanding the concept of these reissues.... the Custom Shop is trying replicate the 1958-60 standard with all the tool marks and clumsiness of those flawed instruments as requested by all those skeptical purists..... these guitars weren’t perfection then.... they were put on a pedestal by fans of the artists that used these as tools to make great music...... not because they were perfect handmade creations.

This model is designed to be this way.... and I agree..... overpriced.

Maybe something in the Custom Shop line other than a reissue might meet your expectations.
Nonsense.

christopherJ

Reaction score
^It’s literally called a reissue.
Do you really think Gibson is making a decision to actually manufacture goobered up guitars because the guitars back in the day were built so sloppily? You've got to be kidding.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you really think Gibson is making a decision to actually manufacture goobered up guitars because the guitars back in the day were built so sloppily? You've got to be kidding.
With the bleeding dye and all............ yes..... and purists are still bitching about missing the mark......like the rounded right hand corner of the headstock mustache.... the gap between the neck pup ring and the end of the fretboard that varies from one 1959 to another...... and countless other details that would be considered flaws that are period correct for the purists.

Latest Threads