Gibson 57 Classic vs. Seymour Duncan APH 2N

ARandall

Reaction score
Slash neck is less muffled. I found a distinct tonal shift to clarity early on, and it was when the recording shifted to the Duncan. The only time I couldn't tell the clarity shift was in the middle of some full chords.

It sort of fits with what I found in my short sojourn with the 57's. They have the right sort of tonal ballpark but fall down in the small details.

Vegetable

Reaction score
Prefer the SD's. Tonally in the same ballpark, but the fog lifts when the SD's are used. Thanks for the demo, looking to replace the 57's in mine, I really like them but recently something has seemed lacking.

Oh, and nice playing!

JohnnyN

Reaction score
Nice demo!
Yeah similar, but like said the Duncans are more detailed and clear. I'd take the Duncans over the 57s any day.

Tommy71

Reaction score
Can't say which one i like more,, love them both, two of my favorite picups alltime!:thumb:
btw: on demo, both guitars have exactly the same pots, caps, wiring and strings..

welland

Reaction score
The 57s sound more life-like and 3D and less muffled than the Duncans.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
btw: on demo, both guitars have exactly the same pots, caps, wiring and strings..
Thanks for the post !! I preferred the A2's. They seemed just a little clearer, a little more defined. Were the tone/volume setting similar between the two pickups, or did you have to re-dial in your settings to make them sound similar?

I just installed 57's on my Epi Custom and was thinking of putting the APH 2N in my Trad-Pro. My plan is to keep the best of these two and then start looking at hotter-output pickups like a JB, Pearly Gates or Sat Night Special. I haven't found much love for the hotter Gibby pu's.

Tommy71

Reaction score
Were the tone/volume setting similar between the two pickups, or did you have to re-dial in your settings to make them sound similar?
Used exactly the same settings, tone/vol to 10, on both guitars, and didn't made any change to recording settings, while changing guitars. I have 500k CTS pots, 022 caps and 50's wiring on both guitars.

edguidry

Reaction score
The mids of the Duncan sounded better to me. The Gibson were lacking something in the mids and it is more apparent on the chords.

Latest Threads