Gibson 2015 Les Paul Junior pricing

miatadan

Reaction score
I been looking at Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series and the finish is described as faded, hand-sprayed satin nitrocellulose lacquer finish , price $999.00 can or Gibson 2016 SG Special '70s Tribute Satin Cherry , price $949.00 can. I am guessing these finish's is less expensive to do compared to
Gloss lacquer used on the Gibson 2015 Les Paul Junior ?

I found a 2015 Les Paul Junior - Hertiage Cherry for $699.00 can. Is the G-Tuner removable without damaging anything? Having a hard case seems better than the gig bag supplied with 2016 models.

Is $699 considered to be good price?

thanks

Dan

Frogfur

Reaction score
You can always get a case later. Even good ones aren't expensive.
Get what you like.

FiftySevenPhil

Reaction score
Have you played both? The 2015 does have the wider neck. I do think they're better value, but not if you don't like that neck.

I'm OK with mine, but it is a big difference.

Hoser

Reaction score
I found a 2015 Les Paul Junior - Hertiage Cherry for $699.00 can. Is the G-Tuner removable without damaging anything? Having a hard case seems better than the gig bag supplied with 2016 models.

1) Yes, the G Tuner is simple to remove - unscrew 6 nuts and it's gone. There's just the 6 tuner holes, and that's it. 30 seconds work. You will need to drill some holes to screw in the replacement tuners, same as any non-G-Tuner LPJ from the past.

2) $699 is a reasonable price, but they seem to be declining in value fairly quickly. I've bought (and returned due to defects) a couple in the past month, and they've slid from $800+ to $650+. There are brand new ones in every color available right now on eBay for $650, and I saw a new Cherry model on sale at my local GC for $599 last weekend.

Telechamp

Reaction score
$699 is a reasonable price, but they seem to be declining in value fairly quickly. There are brand new ones in every color available right now on eBay for $650, and I saw a new Cherry model on sale at my local GC for $599 last weekend.

I saw a new '15 vintage sunburst Junior on sale at Sam Ash - w/ the gold case - for $499 last week.

djw171

Reaction score
I been looking at Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series and the finish is described as faded, hand-sprayed satin nitrocellulose lacquer finish , price $999.00 can or Gibson 2016 SG Special '70s Tribute Satin Cherry , price $949.00 can. I am guessing these finish's is less expensive to do compared to
Gloss lacquer used on the Gibson 2015 Les Paul Junior ?

thanks

Dan

Is this a private used price or new in a store? I've not seen them that cheap yet in Canada.

fullspectrum

Reaction score
Is this a private used price or new in a store? I've not seen them that cheap yet in Canada.

Must be private. I haven't seen them for $699 in Canada either. Right now they are $799 CDN and I am very close to pulling the trigger on one.

I played one yesterday and the neck doesn't bother me and I have average sized hands. I compared necks to the 2016's they had there and I was ok with the neck. I actually liked having more fretboard to play on. It was pretty thin and wide. Kind of like having an Ibanez neck on a Les Paul but not quite so drastic.

I hated the headstock scribble before and the zero fret nut and the hologram but now that 2015 is winding down and these are slowly selling with no 2016 junior on the horizon I find myself strangely attracted to the 2015 junior. All these wild changes make for a very unique Les Paul. 2015, the year Gibson lost their minds...could be a rare collector's item one day...lol..:hmm:

To the OP get the 2015 if you don't mind the neck, its a way better value. You get a nice hard case and the finish will last a lot longer. The finish on the tributes is very thin. At least the old ones were.

moreles

Reaction score
Satin finish is a bit easier to do and doesn't show flaws as much as gloss, and looks a little less "unmanufactured" so I think that's why it is marketed and priced lower. Gibson and other makers seems to be trying desperately to reduce the human work involved in building. Personally, I love a good but worn/rubbed, thin nitro finish most, so when I recently got an '05 Junior (eBay), I hit the whole overly-glinty guitar with "finishing product" to reduce the glare, and it looks gorgeous. If the finish had been thick, I would have sanded some first. I can't get into satin finishes but that's because I've been conditioned over so many years to think "gloss," and particularly "vintage gloss." Enjoy whatever guitar you choose. They all sound great.

rjshare

Reaction score
The satin finishes are quick and easy to do (and therefore much cheaper) for the builder and can be damaged much easier than a gloss finish BUT feel great in the hand. I've got several of each and can quite honestly say that given the choice I would take a satin neck every single time.

hsmaxim

Reaction score
I bought a 15 jr, but i replaced the tuners, put on some flatwound 12's, used that brass nut to set the action way up high, tuned to open e and use it for slide. Works like a champ but i didnt like the neck for regular play at all.

Latest Threads