Gibson 2012

Emtikey

Reaction score

laterider

Reaction score
I bought one of those new but unfortunately felt the need to return due to fret work issues on the one I had. I really liked the model and wasn't happy as sweetwater didn't have any more to send.

Granadillo fretboard, 490R/498T, and coil tapping swtiches on volume pots.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Looks real but I can't tell from the pics if it's granadillo or baked maple.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks real but I can't tell from the pics if it's granadillo or baked maple.
Definitely not granadillo and probably not baked maple. Looks like rosewood, but it would be a two-piece laminated fretboard.

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
Definitely not granadillo and probably not baked maple. Looks like rosewood, but it would be a two-piece laminated fretboard.
I doubt they would use a laminated board on a guitar without binding, the seam would be too visible.

Mockbel

Reaction score
I doubt they would use a laminated board on a guitar without binding, the seam would be too visible.
They were obliged to do so at that time.. However, I know that not all 2012 have laminated boards. It has no difference to me anyways... I have 2012 R8 which I didn’t even bother to check whether it has laminated board or not :)

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
They were obliged to do so at that time.. However, I know that not all 2012 have laminated boards. It has no difference to me anyways... I have 2012 R8 which I didn’t even bother to check whether it has laminated board or not :)
I agree, just saying I think all the laminated boards have binding so you can’t see the seam.

Mockbel

Reaction score
I agree, just saying I think all the laminated boards have binding so you can’t see the seam.
Yeah sure your point is valid.. it would be visible without binding

1all's Pub

Reaction score

Nope, buddy of mine had an SG with no binding and a laminate board. Could clearly be seen, so they did do it to guitars without binding.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
If it is an early 2012, before the new model year, maybe that would explain why it would have a full thickness one piece fingerboard. In other words, maybe 2011 specs (did they have 2011 models?), before the 2 pc. fingerboards came about..
Al

laterider

Reaction score
Since I had one I'm a bit familiar, the 2012 Les Paul studio in 'Vintage Burst' finish had a granadillo board. In fact all finishes for 2012 studios had granadillo listed in the specifications for the model. Pickup shows an April date so its not early. The board could be dyed or somehow got a one piece rosewood which I doubt. At least we've answered the OP, its real, now we can continue more conversation on just what he has!

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah sure your point is valid.. it would be visible without binding
Nope, buddy of mine had an SG with no binding and a laminate board. Could clearly be seen, so they did do it to guitars without binding.
Yes, good info but there was discussion about what type of wood the board was, a laminate board would confirm it is RW, not maple or grenadillo. The OP has not come back to verify any of what we are saying. The board looks like RW, it would be nice if OP would post more pics.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
In fact all finishes for 2012 studios had granadillo listed in the specifications for the model. Pickup shows an April date so its not early.
Not true. I have one with baked maple and so do many others.