Gibson 1966 melody maker special SG?!

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
K..I..L..L..E..R ! ! ! ! !
I let my dream guitar get away.
Maybe a 60 or 61 Melody maker that just felt better than ANYTHING in my hands.
It was stripped of original finish and serial # and by the time I realized that it would be a perfect candidate for a couple P90s, I had sold it.

Herbie74

Reaction score
I always wanted a Pelham blue SG but the last ones I saw for sale were around 25k. That wasn't going to happen. I saw an original pelham blue sg mm and bought it. I didn't like the pickup and the neck was strange. It had a 1 9/16 nut which I knew about but the rest of the neck was a baseball bat - very weird feeling and playing. The big issue was the neck angle it needed a neck reset. So I decided to have it renecked. My luthier reused the original fret board, truss rod and even frets but the net width is 1 11/16 because binding was added to the existing fret board. The new neck has a 59 profile.

yamariv

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar!! Do you have any other pics of the reneck process you could post? Before and After maybe?

What pickup and wiring are in that beauty?

Natima

Reaction score
Here's one I'm working on.
It was refinished and routed for humbuckers in the 80's.
Whoever sanded the old finish off sanded huge dips and waves into it and did a pretty shoddy job of routing and plugging holes.
I'm re-plugging holes, sanding the body flat, re-fretting, and refinishing the body in pelham blue. I'm currently undecided on the bridge & tailpiece combo, but it will remain with two humbuckers.

Attachments

Latest Threads