Gibsom vs. Paper Jams

purevilpleasure

Reaction score
Gibson Granted Injunction Against Paper Jamz Guitars - Premier Guitar

Los Angeles, CA (December 22, 2010) - Gibson Guitar Corp. was granted a request for an injunction against WOWWEE USA Inc, the makers of Paper Jamz, and its retailers, which include Wal-Mart, Amazon.com, Big Lots Stores, K Mart Corporation, Target Corporation, Toys “R” Us- Delaware Inc, Walgreen Co., Brookstone Company, Best Buy Co. Inc, eBay Inc, Toywiz Inc and HSN Inc.

The initial complaint, filed by Gibson Guitar Corp. on November 18, 2010, stated that the WOWWEE USA Inc produced Paper Jamz products wrongfully copy Gibson’s famous guitars, the LES PAUL, FLYING V, EXPLORER and SG. Gibson states that they intend to remain aggressive in protecting such trademarks, as it relates to its guitar shapes and designs and that it is of the highest priority to protect a consumer’s right to purchase an authentic Gibson guitar, regardless of the form.

The granted injunction indicates that Gibson Guitar Corp. would be irreparably harmed by the continued sale of the products and requires retailers to remove all included Paper Jamz models from their shelves immediately.

Gibson Guitar Corporation, founded in 1994 and Incorporated in 1902, is headquartered in Nashville, TN. It is the leading maker of acoustic and electric guitars. For more information about its products, please visit gibson.com.

Blues4U

Reaction score
That explains why 2 nights ago my wife got the deal of the century of some paper jamz stuff at walmart-

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That explains why 2 nights ago my wife got the deal of the century of some paper jamz stuff at walmart-

Put them away somewhere ... "lawsuit" items have a way of becoming valuable a few years later.

Blues4U

Reaction score
I don't see how Gibson has a leg to stand on--The guitars don't look any more like Gibsons than Ibanez, Schecter, JAckson ect.--

I think that if Paper Jamz has their act together, they will win this--

Not to mention, Gibson is being totally foolish---My 6 year old son wants a Green Explorer just like his paper jamz guitar---do you suppose he will be playing a paper jams the rest of his life?

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
You know they've lost their way in Nashville if they feel threatened by paper axes.

Tozatron

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
"Irreparably harmed." :laugh2:
They've got Henry for that!

purevilpleasure

Reaction score
I seen they have the AC/DC paper jam guitar, wonder if they got AC/DC's ok on using their name?

I think it's kinda said, but like it's been said before if they do it for one than they should do it for all.

After saying that why don't they stop people on Ebay selling Gibson stickers that were not authorized by them?

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
The granted injunction indicates that Gibson Guitar Corp. would be irreparably harmed by the continued sale of the products and requires retailers to remove all included Paper Jamz models from their shelves immediately.

TOTAL horseshit....

Sooooooo Because a CARDBOARD guitar is availalbe, a parent is going to buy that cardboard guitar instead of the real Gibson......

What The F???????????????

ITS NOT EVEN A REAL INSTRUMENT....... and it says WOWEEE on the headstock area not gibson......

The judge that signed off on that injunction needs to be handed his ass

upl8tr

Reaction score
You tricked me into reading this thread by using the word Gibsom!:shock:
:laugh2:

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Way to go Henry, win one for the little guy!

.....aw wait....

standard man

Reaction score
Thats just rediculas. Seriously. A freakin paper guitar! If anything kids will see those and want the actual model and it would help Gibson. Not harm. just :wtf:

GibsonByBirth

Banned
Reaction score
... Gibson is being totally foolish---My 6 year old son wants a Green Explorer just like his paper jamz guitar---do you suppose he will be playing a paper jams the rest of his life?

You know they've lost their way in Nashville if they feel threatened by paper axes.

"Irreparably harmed." :laugh2:
They've got Henry for that!

You are missing the point. If Gibson doesn't take action to protect their trademark it will move into the realm of public domain. That would mean anyone could copy them. They would be irreparably harmed. This is a smart business move and is the only thing that they can do.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They lost the lawsuit with Guitar Hero and with PRS. And PRS made actual guitars.

Can't imagine how they'd win against paper facsimiles of guitars. Beyond that, they're not really shaped properly anyway. They're more 'in the style of' then actual representations.

There are tons of people making copies of LP's, but lets sue the little paper toy company.

ext1jdh

Reaction score
Gibson can maintain trademark without resorting to lawsuit. Do they sue PRS or Dean for making singlecuts which have a similar appearance to the Gibson LP? Did Fender sue Gibson when they came out with the Hendrix Strat?

The Trademark Trial and Appeal Board can remove Gibson's "trademark" status from the Les Paul any time they want, if it becomes generic.

In any case, Gibson's previous lawsuits were against makers of actual guitars, not children's toys. For the record, these things are not actually made of paper. They're plastic, but very thin. They're toys, plain and simple.

mojoredfoot

Reaction score
but who do you think pays for all the fees associated with all these lawsuits?

Latest Threads