GHS Guitar Gloss

BluesZep

Reaction score
Hi folks!

last week I bought a Gibson Les Paul Standard, '98, and she wasn't much clean. It's my first nitro finished guitar, so I don't know much about cleaning her. She was very dirty, not even shining.
I bought GHS Guitar Gloss and applied to entire guitar, with great results. It cleaned her very well, and my lester is shining now.

My questions are:
- Does this product removes a nitro layer?
- How often can I use it? Maybe it's not recommended to use frequently, like weekly or monthly
- Is it necessary to apply another product after it? (like gibson pump polish?)

:wave:

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I started using this a month or two back. It's very impressive, especially for guitars that have spent the last 20 years getting dirty.

BluesZep said:
My questions are:
- Does this product removes a nitro layer?
No, just takes old wax polish off. Supposed to be 100% safe on nitro finish, and for me it's so far so good. A guitar polish that eats nitro-cellulose would be commercial suicide...

- How often can I use it? Maybe it's not recommended to use frequently, like weekly or monthly
Can't see why there would be any limit. Like any other polish it's just a thin gloss coat - but for my preference see below.

- Is it necessary to apply another product after it? (like gibson pump polish?)
I do. I find that it makes guitars feel a tiny bit squeaky (like squeaky clean) after I've used it. I find a good quality wax polish (Pledge or a good automotive polish for me, Iknow it's sacriledge!) leaves the guitar feeling a bit less squeaky, especially on the back of the neck. You don't need to though, the guitar gloss leaves a pretty good protective layer.

I'd guess it's similar to Virtuoso guitar polish, but I have been unable to get hold of any of that here in the UK. I'm very pleaed with the results from GHS guitar gloss.

stonevibe

Reaction score
I just had some Virtuoso polish delivered today. I'll give it a go this weekend on my faded HB and see how it goes.

I'll report back with my findings...

Davey Rockets

Reaction score
I'm the new owner of a 2001 LP Studio... does my guitar have a nitro finish or a poly finish?

I've also noticed in the LA heat, the back of the neck gets kinda "sticky", and it kind of hinders my hand running up and down the neck without getting stuck. Is there anything I can put on the back of the neck to make it more slippery?

Thanks!

xsouldriverx

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
to davey,
a common cure to sticky neck is using baby powder. itll absorb the moisture that makes that sticky feeling happen

is there any particular cleaner/gloss that is supposed to be the best out there?

Davey Rockets

Reaction score
xsouldriverx, thanks much for the info! As a new dad to twins, I certainly have baby powder in the house. ;)

Do you know if the 2001's Studios had a nitro finish?

Based on stonevibes response, I was checking out Virtuoso Premium Polish & Cleaner.

xsouldriverx

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i think all gibsons have a nitro finish no matter what (unless specified otherwise) but i dont know 100%

Belzeebub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i would also say all have a nitro finish unless specified.

xsouldriverx

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i think the gibson hendrix v is the only one not nitro finished, i think it might be veneer to be more accurate to what jimmi used

Mrdean19

Reaction score
GHS Guitar Gloss Rocks! Also, I find that sticky necks can be slicked right up with a little spray of
" Finger-ease" Made by Tone. Great lubricant and not greasy at all. Spray your fingering hand and both sides of the neck. You might find yourself sliding past the fret you want till you get used to it. :thumb:

Latest Threads