GHS Burnished Nickel Rockers

JMP

Reaction score
Historically, I’ve used both GHS Boomers and Ernie Ball regular slinkies on my guitars. Mostly in 10-46. I’ve decided to try some different string brands and string materials recently and just this morning put a set of GHS burnished nickel rockers (10-46) on my 2008 Epiphone Les Paul custom. Damn, they are amazing to play. They are super smooth and slinky and they sound great- not dull, not shrill or overly bright. Just smooth and sweet.

Anyone else try these strings? What’s was your experience like.

Dazza

Reaction score
I changed to them for a couple years after experiencing a ridiculous amount of plain string breakage with similarly priced DR Blues. I gigged 6 nites/wk so needed more reliability and they certainly are. Really nice tone and feel, though the silky smooth wound strings can feel a bit odd. Not very good for pick scrapes either !

I actually prefer the DR Blues and have been back with them this year without problem. I can only assume I experienced a 'bad' batch. A downside to buying so many packs at once when trying to be cost effective !

Daz

Pappy58

Reaction score
I've been using DR Pure Blues for >10 yrs and have never broken one :dunno: But I'm not a hard player and am anal about keeping my bridge saddles smooth. They are the best sounding longest lasting string out there imo. I might have to try the OP's recommendation though. I used to use Boomers and like the GHS products in general. :cheers:

JMP

Reaction score
I like experimenting with different strings. I’ll give the DR pure blues a try.

On a separate note - one of the plain strings in the pack of GHS nickel rockers was all rusty when I opened the plastic envelope. I emailed GHS, they responded same day and are sending me a few fresh packs of strings. Amazing customer service!

Dazza

Reaction score
Just adding to my 'bad' experience mentioned above with DR's breaking it was across 3 different guitars, so not easily put down to saddle burs etc. Pure Blues 10-46. High E and B would last 2 nights tops, then the replacement D'addario ( there are no DR singles) would last every time until I eventually changed the set. It got quite frustrating. I've also had the occasional D or A that won't intonate - a well documented issue with round core.

No troubles or breakage at all with the GHS Burnished, but I prefer the feel of the DR's so went back this past year. And without issue I'm glad to say. I'll be re-stocking with DR's next sale.

Plenty of choices across the price range but as a working player either of these suit my needs.

Daz

Last edited:

swampblues

Reaction score
Warren Haynes uses them so they must be good lol I use them on my MIJ Les Pauls but use NY-XL’s on my Historic’s

My Les Paul Classifieds