Getting Over the One that Got Away

Joncaster

Reaction score
Thank you for indulging me and my melodramatic thread title.

I have an SG Standard that is just a killer guitar all round.
I bought that cause it felt right.
It sounds great, but the feel was the main thing.

Then a while later the place I work got a shipment of guitars in, some older models, some unsold stock from another place.
Amongst these was a 2016 LP Classic Iced Tea.
Rimburst, chambered, 57 classic zebras. Was a limited run they did of Classics in '16, apparently.

I eventually got round to playing it, and it felt pretty good (not as mind-blowing as the SG), was light and comfy.
I'm not opposed to a rimburst, and it had a killer plain-top, dark red board, so was a great looking guitar in my eyes.
IMG_20191217_203529 (1).jpg

But I plugged it in, and immediately fell in love with it.
The brightest Gibson I've ever heard, just biting and searing, but smooth in a way. Bottom end was full too.
The thing that stood out was the pick dynamics, from sweet to rip-your-face-off as you dug in.
Slight scoop to the neck pickup, and a great tele tone to the bridge. All-round aggressive but responsive.
Really begged to be played, to be heard.

So I had my eye on it for a while, and the price started coming down (old model)...I still couldn't afford it.
I had my SG, and that was a big purchase for me.
Then some dude came in a bought it, and good for him. It was a crazy deal.

But I can't stop thinking about it.
I wonder if I will ever find an LP that makes me feel that way again.
My SG makes me happy, and between that and my Tele, i'm good.
But man, I should have bought that guitar.

So how does one move on from that?
Find the next guitar?
Focus on what I have and be grateful (which I am)?
Maybe get some new pickups for the SG to get it closer to that tone? (I'm gonna do that anyway when I can).
But the SG will never be an LP and vice versa. They do their own things.
I wasn't even much of an LP guy to begin with...this one changed that for me.
Now I want a good Les Paul. Darnit.

leonardygunawan.lg

Reaction score
Is the pickup in your SG the same as the one in that les paul? Seems like you describe the SG as lower output, therefore brighter, cleaner, and more dynamic.
If you want to achieve this, you can:
- Lower your pickup bobbins and raise the polepiece or,
- If your SG has 300k pots, try swapping it with a 500k,
- Try 50's wiring or treble bleed.

Swapping pickups is the last resort. Or maybe just go ahead and get that F'ing les paul!!

Joncaster

Reaction score
Focus on your playing and improving as a player. Try to generate the tones that live in your head using the gear you have now.
That's probably the most sensible plan of action.
I get far too into the tech side of things, spend too much time building pedals and amps, approaching things from a mix-engineers perspective.

I just find that there are certain tones that come out of certain instruments, and they lead you in a direction you otherwise might not have gone.

Joncaster

Reaction score
Is the pickup in your SG the same as the one in that les paul? Seems like you describe the SG as lower output, therefore brighter, cleaner, and more dynamic.
If you want to achieve this, you can:
- Lower your pickup bobbins and raise the polepiece or,
- If your SG has 300k pots, try swapping it with a 500k,
- Try 50's wiring or treble bleed.

Swapping pickups is the last resort. Or maybe just go ahead and get that F'ing les paul!!
My SG is perfectly fine, really. It has it's own thing going on.
I swapped the PCB out and wired up some pots with nice taper and value, 50's wired, adjusted pickups.

So getting a Les Paul would be for a different vibe completely, I would want to have both of those worlds.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Some GAS just doesn't go away. If that's the case, perhaps you could ID the biggest contributors to the sound of that guitar- presumably, the chambering and 57s - and find another LP with those characteristics. You could probably get pretty close.

Joncaster

Reaction score
Some GAS just doesn't go away. If that's the case, perhaps you could ID the biggest contributors to the sound of that guitar- presumably, the chambering and 57s - and find another LP with those characteristics. You could probably get pretty close.
Thats what I've been thinking.
It might just be as simple as another Classic or similar. Find something with an even better neck feel, and that would be perfect.
There aren't a lot of racks to run around here, so it just takes more time.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Guy will probably move it on, and for less than he paid.

Keep your eye out for it on your local classifieds etc..

I had a guitar i lusted over for a few years over in Japan of all places. It came up for sale a couple of times but i never had the cash.... much to my sorrow. I eventually made good with myself that it was out of my reach. It was a unicorn. Well i guess third times the charm. It came up recently again for the lowest price ever. I had the money strangely so i bid and won it at auction. Its sitting in Tokyo waiting till i can afford to ship it back to Canada at the start of November.

You just never know.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
My forever dipshit moment was back in 93, My grandfather bought me a Gibson Les Paul Standard in Ebony with gold hardware and cream plastics. Not a color run, and back then nobody gave a shit what was what for collecting. It cost 1100 new off the wall and I sold it to GC in Boston for an embarrassing amount because I needed to pay a speeding ticket of 600 dollars or lose my license and job.

Sentimental value and it was a killer looking/sounding guitar, come to find out kind of rare now and good wood era. Back then we just bought another guitar, but I look everyday for one online just hoping. Gas sucks and Regrets.

smk506

Reaction score
There was a Kirk Hammet signature ESP with a damaged headstock hanging in my local Sam ash for awhile. It was THE best guitar I’ve played to date. I think they wanted $900 or something stupid due to the damage.

I still think about that guitar 19 years later if that tells you anything...

BDW60

Reaction score
Wow guys. That magical girl in college? Sure. That sticks with a guy. But a guitar? :)

Tdurden032

Reaction score
Lol - I was heading in the same direction as “BDW60” on this one - so many lovely ladies back in the day that I wish I could go back in time and put a beat down on myself for acting like a Total jackass around...
To the question at hand, I’d start with the pickups and enjoy the collection that you have - if that still doesn’t scratch the itch, then you find the next one - just my two cents, best of luck!

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Much worse when you give up a guitar that you had a long happy history with just to make ends meet.

Though I have more than made up for that loss.... and I have never had to sell anything to pay bills ever again.

That loss made me be a better person in the long run.... and work harder to keep it that way..... funny how a loss of something so material can have that kind of profound effect.

Joncaster

Reaction score
That loss made me be a better person in the long run.... and work harder to keep it that way..... funny how a loss of something so material can have that kind of profound effect.
I can attest to that.
I spent a lot of years drinking and messing up my life, having to sell off gear when things got heavy. The first decent acoustic I ever had, the one I wrote all my songs on, my bass, my amps, a couple electrics, pedals, my laptop, interface, mics. All gone.
I ended up with just my Tele. I thought about selling it too (pawned it a few times but always got it back). But that would've been unforgivable.

I haven't had to sell anything in years, and got into building pedals and amps, a solid hobby. Got the SG.
I've worked hard to stay clean and moving forward.

This covid thing and lockdown has taken away most of my income, and it's been difficult, but my gear ain't going nowhere.

These things we buy for ourselves sometimes mean a lot to us, for reasons deeply entrenched in the journeys we've made.

Joncaster

Reaction score
So yeah, my plan is to enjoy my guitars.
I need to swap a pickup on my Tele and put the parchment gaurd back (flirted with a neck humbucker and blackgaurd, but I miss the stock).
The SG can stay like it is for a while, when I do pickups for that, I want something special, so when I have funds again...

Finish my current amp build, maybe start another one.
Wholesome plans.

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Thank you for indulging me and my melodramatic thread title.

I have an SG Standard that is just a killer guitar all round.
I bought that cause it felt right.
It sounds great, but the feel was the main thing.

Then a while later the place I work got a shipment of guitars in, some older models, some unsold stock from another place.
Amongst these was a 2016 LP Classic Iced Tea.
Rimburst, chambered, 57 classic zebras. Was a limited run they did of Classics in '16, apparently.

I eventually got round to playing it, and it felt pretty good (not as mind-blowing as the SG), was light and comfy.
I'm not opposed to a rimburst, and it had a killer plain-top, dark red board, so was a great looking guitar in my eyes.
View attachment 495244

But I plugged it in, and immediately fell in love with it.
The brightest Gibson I've ever heard, just biting and searing, but smooth in a way. Bottom end was full too.
The thing that stood out was the pick dynamics, from sweet to rip-your-face-off as you dug in.
Slight scoop to the neck pickup, and a great tele tone to the bridge. All-round aggressive but responsive.
Really begged to be played, to be heard.

So I had my eye on it for a while, and the price started coming down (old model)...I still couldn't afford it.
I had my SG, and that was a big purchase for me.
Then some dude came in a bought it, and good for him. It was a crazy deal.

But I can't stop thinking about it.
I wonder if I will ever find an LP that makes me feel that way again.
My SG makes me happy, and between that and my Tele, i'm good.
But man, I should have bought that guitar.

Find the next guitar?
Focus on what I have and be grateful (which I am)?
Maybe get some new pickups for the SG to get it closer to that tone? (I'm gonna do that anyway when I can).
But the SG will never be an LP and vice versa. They do their own things.
I wasn't even much of an LP guy to begin with...this one changed that for me.
Now I want a good Les Paul. Darnit.

It is indeed a bitter pill to swallow.. My advice would be (if you can) to play as many LPs as you can to find the one you love, you might even find one that sounds a feels better than the one you are currently pining for....

rogue3

Reaction score
Find the next guitar?
those 2 lines right there.

The ones that got away for me?

1954 Butterscotch Telecaster for 300$
1969 Wine Red Custom Les Paul for 500$
3 1957 sunburst Maple Neck Stratocasters for 300 a pop.
An original 1960 Gibson Les Paul for 1400$
1972 Gibson Black Custom(stolen)...and on and on...

Find the next guitar.The truth is out there.:rofl:
71cyAJfBxoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

mrblooze

Reaction score
So yeah, my plan is to enjoy my guitars.
I need to swap a pickup on my Tele and put the parchment gaurd back (flirted with a neck humbucker and blackgaurd, but I miss the stock).
The SG can stay like it is for a while, when I do pickups for that, I want something special, so when I have funds again...

Finish my current amp build, maybe start another one.
Wholesome plans.
The one that got away... Yeah, that's a hard one. "Time wounds all heels". But yeah, best advice I've heard is learn to make music with what you've got. One of the most incredible bass solos I ever saw was a kid around 12, a gypsy in Eastern Europe, playin' his ass off on an upright that only had three strings, because his family couldn't afford to buy one. Buy that didn't stop them from playing amazing music, and ok, their style ain't for everyone, but they were TIGHT, and all clearly virtuosic. And that kid just killed it with a grin on his face. I doubt he lost sleep wishing he was playing a Guarneri with all four strings... He was just in love with playing in a group, making music.

When I get that itch, "If only I could afford..." when drooling over a guitar, or amp, or pedal, I try to recall that kid who was just so happy to make music that he didn't care about anything else. Which would've just made him unhappy, anyway, right?

76sg

Reaction score
I have an SG standard I purchased in 1979 but always wanted to move up into the big leagues with a Paul. Finally got one last year and can’t quite bond with it. The SG is very comfortable, nestles into my torso and lap like a newborn baby and does everything I ask. I put in 1 Meg pots to let the wonderful brights shine through, but if I want a tele shimmer I’ll get a tele. You have a world class guitar - enjoy it. I do think about the acoustic that got away years ago, but maybe I’ll run into something similar tomorrow.

Latest Threads