Getting noise from power supply ugh!

hostileto

Reaction score
So I have some nice pedals all run off of battery which I'm fine with as I have many of them. I just bought a very expensive pedal that only runs off of 9volt power (no battery) I was afraid I would get the stupid hum
I have it.... how do I get rid of it?

I bought the cable that allows for more than one pedal off of the same power supply.
What I did.

plugged in the pedal on its own
then plug it in with others on the chain.

When I take my hands off the strings i get the hum.
I don't want to noise gate
is there something out there to stop this as I fight so hard to have a perfect noiseless set up

Reaction score
There are a few potential problems here you may need to work through.

The first couple are no brainers but need to be asked.

1.Is the powersupply 9V AC or DC output? Pedals generally don't like 9V AC (in fact its very bad for them).

2. Cheap power supplies have very poor filtering and hum like bastards. Good ones (such as Boss) don't.

More likely your problem is a earthing/sheilding problem.

By the sounds of it, you are picking up noise through your guitar (which is why it goes quiet when you touch the strings and earth it). If it is a high gain pedal you have bought it will amplify noise from your guitar. You may need to sheild the pickup and control cavities of your guitar.

Other wise the earthing problem could be in your leads, other pedals or the input jack of your amp.

Start with plugging straight in to your amp then add pedals one at a time and see if you can isolate where the problem is occuring.

Good Luck

hostileto

Reaction score
The power supply I bought is the 1 spot power supply.
I was in sam ash and ask the guy which is the best powersupply
I don't get any noise when I use batteries....
as I writing this I'm reading the reviews on this power supply and its noisey

Can you recommend a really good one as I have to return this to sam ash. I only have one pedal that need power.

I bought a Jam Delay pedal. No gain or over drive

pickerrr

Reaction score
I think you have a grounding issue. Daisy chain is good, but all the pedals have to share the ground. Example: If you have a digital delay, share the same power supply with the other pedals, you can still hear some 'tock-tock-tock' backing tempo even in bypass.
Isolated power supplies is great (like the voodoo lab), but they're expensive. Plug in your pedal one by one (unplug from the main every time before you do it), try to find out which pedal (or pedals) causing the grounding issue, then give the pedal a separated adapter.
Maybe wrong, but I hope it helps.

ehamady6

Reaction score
plug in your pedal one by one (unplug from the main every time before you do it), try to find out which pedal (or pedals) causing the grounding issue, then give the pedal a separated adapter.

+1

hostileto

Reaction score
I did do it one by one still got the hum
It's the power it's junky
Wondering if I can put a 9v battery and just have it hang out of the chassey
Do they make an adapter 9volt round to +- t connector

Reaction score
I did do it one by one still got the hum
It's the power it's junky
Wondering if I can put a 9v battery and just have it hang out of the chassey
Do they make an adapter 9volt round to +- t connector

Really easy to make your own, just solder a 9V battery snap cap to a 2.1mm centre pin plug - Bobs your uncle. Trouble is, the delay will probably eat batteries.

Boss power supplies are good ones, but there are other brands just as good. Sort of depends what is available where you live.

firesgt911

Reaction score
Definitly sounds like a grounding issue. Some pedals, even fancy boutique, exaggerate ground hum. With that said...

I have a 1spot that is as quiet as batteries, a Godlyke that is average at best and a Boss daisy chain that is so noisy that I never use it. Maybe QC is off and you got a lemon or maybe a higher end power supply is the answer.

Good luck. It gets real frustrating chasing tone.

hostileto

Reaction score
I got the Boss. Its much quieter but I still have some power going through the guitar when I'm not on the strings (hum). Its alot less with the Boss than the 1spot by a landslide.

9V battery clip with 2.1mm plug ID: 80 - $3.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

I'm getting this above, velcro and using batteries when I record. No hum zero nada.
I have a make shift one I made and tested it work well.

I wonder why I when using AC adaper I get the power hum when I let go of the strings. Do I need to shield the guitar.... and why don't these adapter come with ground?

pickerrr

Reaction score
and why don't these adapter come with ground?
It change AC to DC, and DC has no ground line, just +and-. The grounding issue is not from your adapter, it's the shared daisy chain between the pedals.

hostileto

Reaction score
It change AC to DC, and DC has no ground line, just +and-. The grounding issue is not from your adapter, it's the shared daisy chain between the pedals.

Even if I only use one pedal it still had that power hum when I let go of the strings compared to using batteries:hmm:. I know I'm doing something wrong here

Pinkie

Reaction score
I use a 1 spot too and have no noise at all.

Latest Threads