Getting new 60th Anniversary R9, gloss or VOS?

danzego

Reaction score
Heres more pics, im trying to upload more but the files are too big
Sogn up for a file sharing service like Flicker or Photobucket and upload high res images, then insert the images into your post instead. Custom Shop guitars deserve better than 100KB photos.:fingersx:

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sogn up for a file sharing service like Flicker or Photobucket and upload high res images, then insert the images into your post instead. Custom Shop guitars deserve better than 100KB photos.:fingersx:
oh yeah i hear that..lol.I could t even get the color to show up right on The photos i took.One of the main things i loved about this burst,is the bright cherry red outer edge of the burst.It looks dark red doesnt it.

MikeyV

Reaction score
VOS only for me. I love the look and feel. The glossy ones look funny to me.

EL-34

Reaction score
Quite a heated and dividing subject.

I'd rather get the mint brand new glossy guitar. There's a bit of pretentious BS associated with VOS IMHO.

danzego

Reaction score
oh yeah i hear that..lol.I could t even get the color to show up right on The photos i took.One of the main things i loved about this burst,is the bright cherry red outer edge of the burst.It looks dark red doesnt it.
Nope, it looks tea brown to me. Get it into some sunlight; it’ll light up nicely for some pictures.

You got a killer deal on it, by the way. Nice!

HonestAl

Reaction score
A few weeks back I saw a really good deal on what was described as a Custom Shop 1960 Standard VOS in Royal Teaburst. As a lefty we almost never get to see Custom Shop models here in the UK, and I loved the look of the finish. I ordered it and the next day it turned up. Well, actually it didn't turn up, a different Custom Shop 1960 Standard VOS lefty turned up!!!! A call to the shop and the following day mine turned up. Except that it wasn't what was described!!! It was gloss, not VOS. I have to admit to being pissed off.
So here's the stupid thing. Before then I'd never had, or wanted, a VOS finish guitar. I've read as many negative comments as I have read positive comments, read how the finish wears off and becomes polished etc, and I came to the conclusion I didn't want a VOS guitar.
But, once my mind had crossed the bridge on this particular one, boy was I not pleased.
I gave the shop a bit of hell, their view was 'oh well, send it back if you don't like it, we'll exchange it for another (They had 5 others!!) or give you a refund''. To be fair they offered me a (derisory) bit of compensation (amounting to 1.5% of the purchase price!) which actually made me more pissed.
So I sat on it a few days, played it, looked at it, played it a bit more. And eventually decided I was actually really pleased it was gloss!! OK, so a cynic might say I was making the best of the situation but frankly to me the look of the top was exactly what I'd been hoping for.
So my view would be don't let a gloss finish put you off. But other opinions are available :cool: And, a few weeks in I can already see the upper body gloss diminishing a bit due to friction with my forearm as I play, so it's on its way... :)
IMG_0304.jpg

Last edited:

Pappy35

Reaction score
Quite a heated and dividing subject.

I'd rather get the mint brand new glossy guitar. There's a bit of pretentious BS associated with VOS IMHO.
I just got a new Gibson USA 50's but I'm thinking really hard about getting a CS '59 or '60 V1. My 50's was flawless and shiny but, like all guitars, it's starting to accumulate very light surface scratching. I'm talking really minor, like hard to find and def. don't stick out. The problem is that I see every one of them. When I got it, I really wanted a new '59 for the neck shape, but got all pragmatic and "settled" for an uber-nice 50's (which is the nicest guitar I've ever owned - and I had a Top Anderson Drop Top Classic). So now I'm starting to plot and scheme about how to purchase the one I actually wanted and am thinking a VOS finish would be the way to go. I've never been into the whole "relic" thing.

I have always thought I wanted a gloss '59 (ideally in Dirty Lemon) but now that I've seen how inevitable, and how visible to me, light surface scratches are on a gloss finished guitar, I'm starting to turn the corner on the whole VOS concept. Would you guys that have VOS reissue's chime in on how light scratching shows up?

Last edited:

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a new Gibson USA 50's but I'm thinking really hard about getting a CS '50 or '60 V1. My 50's was flawless and shiny but, like all guitars, it's starting to accumulate very light surface scratching. I'm talking really minor, like hard to find and def. don't stick out. The problem is that I see every one of them. When I got it, I really wanted a new '59 for the neck shape, but got all pragmatic and "settled" for an uber-nice 50's (which is the nicest guitar I've ever owned - and I had a Top Anderson Drop Top Classic). So now I'm starting to plot and scheme about how to purchase the one I actually wanted and am thinking a VOS finish would be the way to go. I've been into the whole "relic" thing.

I have always thought I wanted a gloss '59 (ideally in Dirty Lemon) but now that I've seen how inevitable, and how visible to me, light surface scratches are on a gloss finished guitar, I'm starting to turn the corner on the whole VOS concept. Would you guys that have VOS reissue's chime in on how light scratching shows up?
I hear what your saying,Thing is that.As i mentioned,my question was not meant as a versus thread,since im not really into doing that,.i love the VOS les Pauls as well as any other type.What i meant by my topic,was since i did not recall seeing many Gloss 60th Anniversary R models,and wanted one,and luckily found one.I just wanted to ask a question from fellow les paul enthusiasts,if this years R model, was really meant to be “VOS”?since Gibson was trying to go for the most accurate R model to date.With that said,and not really seeing any Gloss models at all for the 60th Anniversary,was there maby something not right with the one i found? Either way my question was meant light hartedly.unfortunately in this forum its hard to ask as question without getting a little bit of a beating, lol, have not really experienced that before,since it is a forum,for people that love these guitars,so i wouldnt think that any question would be addressed the way any of my posts seemed to have been,as well as a few other guys i know,who left.Because of being addressed the same way.

Unfortunately,its kept me from asking many more questions i have had.At least i feel better knowing im not alone though, lol.As well a serious blues player,i am a serious collector, of these R models,and have been studying for months about Vintage les pauls,and just reading through the past posts here has taught me alot.I can pretty much accurately authenticate a real burst.So the tough love is of benefit, but yeah, this thread did get a little heated, while it was not meant to.Im happy i got my Gloss 60th R9 and 2018 R0

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gloss. Age it with your own playing.
Absolutely agree,in 1957-1960, i figure these les pauls were “New” shiny, they aged along the course of there life.It looks like the 1957 Gibson les Paul Custom Black beauty im getting is going to be “VOS” though.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of vos, but that’s all we get sent in U.K. it seems, I bought a vos and polished it to a glass finish. Now it can age. already started, got some buckle rash on back, knocked edge against 90 degree edge and chip in binding lacquer, all to be left as is. The only time I will correct is when my dumb ass does it rather than playing wear and tear, like the time a stoptail post just slipped from my hand and landed on maple top.

EL-34

Reaction score
Wow a blast from the past. I have a few guitars with wear patterns, warn frets, scratches, dents, rusty bridges, etc.

It would be strange if you bought a VOS and the VOS work was different than your own guitar aging.

Pappy35

Reaction score
I ended up buying a gloss '58 (it was $1,300 cheaper so I figured I'd give the thicker neck a go). If it doesn't work out I'll get a '59 or '60 V1.

uncle mud

Reaction score
I have historics in both finishes. I don't prefer one over the other. I'm more interested in playability, weight and tone. I think they all look fantastic!

Wizard of Ozz

Reaction score
I prefer gloss... sometimes the CS gets carried away with the VOS finish concept.

Streetglide

Reaction score
Neither will be any more collectable - custom shop build ~4K of just Les Paul reissues every year.
Killer tops tend to fetch a bit more used, so if you're looking solely at resale get the better looking one.

I'm not disputing this, but does the Custom Shop really make 4,000 Lester reissues every year? Am I reading that right?

Thanks

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I personally would go VOS but beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.... or is it beholder :laugh2:

Pappy35

Reaction score
Neither will be any more collectable - custom shop build ~4K of just Les Paul reissues every year.
Killer tops tend to fetch a bit more used, so if you're looking solely at resale get the better looking one.

I'm not disputing this, but does the Custom Shop really make 4,000 Lester reissues every year? Am I reading that right?

Thanks
I don't know first-hand but that's an average of only 11 guitars a day.

Latest Threads