Getting new 60th Anniversary R9, gloss or VOS?

BoogyWithStu

Reaction score
As a number of people have already said, it really is down to preference.

About 12 years or so ago, most music stores seemed to have more gloss than VOS stocks. At that time gloss guitars cost more than the VOS guitars (probably because they needed less work/time to polish and buff the guitars). Because the VOS cost less I suspect people started to buy more of them rather than the more expensive gloss. Thus, stores stocked more VOS and less gloss, because they sell more. Today, the VOS seem to be the only one's most store's stock. If you want a gloss you have to search stores or make a special order and it seems the gloss are a similar price to VOS or even a little cheaper now. Yep, times have changed.
I tend to prefer the gloss finish, I buy a new guitar I want it to be new and sparkling. The best relic guitars take decades and lots of playing. That is just my way of thinking though.

Purplexed

Reaction score
Im shopping for an 60th R9 and i have seen nothing but VOS models, accept for one shop that special orderd a couple all gloss finish nickle hardware models.My question is, should i get a vos or the gloss model, as far as would the gloss model be less collectable or an odd ball in this series of les paul.Thank you guys

BoogyWithStu

Reaction score
OK, just to follow up on my last post.

I am in the UK, so prices etc are different from USA market.

I have just been looking at Andertons website and every R0, R57, R58 and R59 they have are VOS. Also looked at a few other stores and no store seems to stock Gloss right now. Guess Gloss is dead now (atleast in the UK).

sbessel

Reaction score
I was fortunate to find a "glossy" from CME (Chicago Music Exchange) last year. I passed on all the "dull" ones as I prefered a new guitar. I suppose the downside to this unit is that it has a CME prefix to the serial number and they did something to the pups (their spec). Since beauty is only skin deep, the real gamble I took was buying it without ever feeling, touching, playing, appreciating it. I lucked out as I hope is the case with all of you that have pulled the trigger. I'm sure there are a few that were cut from diseased/distressed/over mineralized wood that might not have that required mojo to warrant $6,000+. But, since the question of VOS vs. NEW is purely a visual thing, as many have said previous, it's just what YOU like. Hoping not to offend any VOS fans, I just have a hard time believing a craftsperson at the bench making something look old is kind of insincere. I know someone differentiated guitars and cars but I used to have a dream that GM would reintroduce NEW '57 Chevrolets. Figured they would sell a bunch of them. Imagine too that they would introduce a glossy new one and could also have a VOS one where craftspeople would scuff it up, ding it at the doors, introduce some rust in the quarter panels, fog the glass and maybe peel back the headliner a bit. What might be next? VOS laptops? Who wants to go to class (or wherever you go with one, if at all, these days) with some new looking thing. Afterall that would NOT show that you've done the time
CME_STB_R9.jpg

Purplexed

Reaction score
You will be very pleased with the gloss 60th Anniversary 1959. Mine will age with me like all of my Les Paul’s have. I like the unpotted Custom Buckers attack, the roll off is perfect. The nickel hardware is already turning and I’ve only had it less than a year. Mine has an Indian rosewood fretboard, I liked the flame and color of the slow iced-tea burst too, so I didn’t hold out for a Brazilian board. Thumbs up for the Glossy, the more you play it the more it ages and becomes your own!
I’d post a pic but the image file is too big and will not upload from iPhone ‍♂

Purplexed

Reaction score
Hey folks, I just looked on the site Guitarsetc.com where I bought mine and saw there's a factory burst with vintage patina (VOS) on sale, tell Todd tbat Skip Sims sent you please, great guy to deal with!

mjross

Reaction score
My OCD is a big issue in regard to Guitars. I like them perfect, perfect! However, recently I purchased an RS Guitar Works “59” and an absolutely killer AFD Replica. These guitars look like they were on the road for 50 years but, man do they play. Needless to say, my OCD went out the door with these 2 guitars. Strange thing, I’m really diggin the Relic look and feel. My non VOS “59” feels a little strange all nice and shiny and perfect next to these 2 warriors. I think the VOS/Relic is kind of like Scotch, an “acquired taste”. I’m diggin it!

junkdk

Reaction score
Willcutt’s got a few gloss ones. Gave me best deal when emailed them. Although, when paying $5300 for a guitar, I have to go touch it first.

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes thank you guys, but i mentioned on the second page of this topic,that i went ahead and talked to the the guys from Watchtower guitars and found out what the guitar was all about, in that it was a hand selected special order,i guess i was just nervous in that i never saw any gloss models before, so wasnt sure if this guitar was maby a VOS that the store swapped parts on,buffed the paint etc..

anyway i went ahead and bought it last night,and am waiting outside right now waiting for it to be deliverd.I will show you guys the pics today

guitaroholic

Reaction score
Im shopping for an 60th R9 and i have seen nothing but VOS models, accept for one shop that special orderd a couple all gloss finish nickle hardware models.My question is, should i get a vos or the gloss model, as far as would the gloss model be less collectable or an odd ball in this series of les paul.Thank you guys
typing before reading more of the thread, cuz I'm shocked.
...dropping 4-6G and asking others what to get??

You like your Gibsons shiny or not? I prefer them NOT shiny.
None of them are collectible with the amount they're pumping out. If anything gloss might be more collectible, but rarity is only part of the equation. Without desirability, they'll just be used guitars as well.
I buy to play, not to stare at them. Although I do stare at them too. They're functional art.

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes thank you guys, but i mentioned on the second page of this topic,that i went ahead and talked to the the guys from Watchtower guitars and found out what the guitar was all about, in that it was a hand selected special order,i guess i was just nervous in that i never saw any gloss models before, so wasnt sure if this guitar was maby a VOS that the store swapped parts on,buffed the paint etc..

anyway i went ahead and bought it last night,and am waiting outside right now waiting for it to be deliverd.I will show you guys the pics today

landguitar

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very good points you guys made....i like the gloss so that the guitar can age and attain natural patina, like the gold hardware on my 1996 SRV strat, i just have not seen any gloss 60th R models so i was looking to stay innthe norm of what Gibson was trying to do for that year?? I guess,..lol the seller giving me a deal of $4800 on this, this is her
Very nice, I just don’t like all the “shine” and the VOS just feels more “natural” to me. All but one of my burst are VOS or lightly aged. Just a preference. Nice top though, congrats!!!

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys i just got the guitar and its absolutely beautiful, plays really fast and clean, the only things i found that were strange is that the 3 way toggke switch seems to have some resistance,when you try to throw it into the neck position,there seems to be some grey Glue type stuff right behind the switch shaft,between the middle and the neck position,causing some interferance when you try to switch to the neck position,ill try to scrape it away.Also when i put the bottom of the body of the guitar at my feet,and checked the neck,i found that the headstock was kind of twisted to the right,compared to the body of the guitar,and have the same situation with my R0, i made a post abput this ,simply asking if this meant that my neck had a twist or something,but some other members said that this is normal, amd its strange that this les paul has the same thing,so maby thats normal.I will post pics after work of the guitar

cutaway

Reaction score
I’m a gloss hound. Let it get old on its own. That’s my vote

HIDDEN

Reaction score
I was fortunate to find a "glossy" from CME (Chicago Music Exchange) last year. I passed on all the "dull" ones as I prefered a new guitar. I suppose the downside to this unit is that it has a CME prefix to the serial number and they did something to the pups (their spec). Since beauty is only skin deep, the real gamble I took was buying it without ever feeling, touching, playing, appreciating it. I lucked out as I hope is the case with all of you that have pulled the trigger. I'm sure there are a few that were cut from diseased/distressed/over mineralized wood that might not have that required mojo to warrant $6,000+. But, since the question of VOS vs. NEW is purely a visual thing, as many have said previous, it's just what YOU like. Hoping not to offend any VOS fans, I just have a hard time believing a craftsperson at the bench making something look old is kind of insincere. I know someone differentiated guitars and cars but I used to have a dream that GM would reintroduce NEW '57 Chevrolets. Figured they would sell a bunch of them. Imagine too that they would introduce a glossy new one and could also have a VOS one where craftspeople would scuff it up, ding it at the doors, introduce some rust in the quarter panels, fog the glass and maybe peel back the headliner a bit. What might be next? VOS laptops? Who wants to go to class (or wherever you go with one, if at all, these days) with some new looking thing. Afterall that would NOT show that you've done the time View attachment 474182
nice perfect quilt on that guitar!

Macaz

Reaction score
It’s personal preference but a dilemma for some of us.
I like them all and I’ve gathered a few varieties.
A ‘59 Don Felder’ (Aged) replica,
a ‘59 True Historic’ (non aged)
and a brand new (at the time) shiny glossy 2013 Standard.
They’re all beautiful to look at and all have different attributes.
87281BD1-D59D-40F9-9C73-718FE25D3BC3.jpeg

The worst to play, for me (due to the really thick neck and shallow frets) is the True Historic (right) yet it does sound amazing.
The other two play so easily and sweetly but the best of them all, and my favourite, is actually the least ‘genuine’.....
The ‘Don Felder’ replica.
It plays and sounds so sweet yet it looks a bit shabby and worn. (Far left)
So, as has maybe been mentioned once or twice on here, it would seem that it is of little consequence if it is the best burst or VOS or glossy. If it plays comfortable for you and sounds like you want to hear it sound, then it’s the best one.

Latest Threads