Getting new 60th Anniversary R9, gloss or VOS?

Mr Hockey

Reaction score
If it was my choice I would choose the VOS. That's my opinion but its going to be your guitar.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I own both and don't like gloss anymore. The 64RI SG I ordered last year is gloss and that was a mistake because if the pickup covers or tailpiece get a smudge it sticks out like a sore thumb. I much VOS prefer hardware and wish I ordered it that way.

danzego

Reaction score
Uou must have been looking at the R9's price, and I was looking at R0's pricing. :) The 60th R0 is $6999.00 for gloss $6499.00 for VOS. I don't understand why the difference? unless it's because it's a 60th.
Oh, I see. You’re looking at a Wildwood exclusive version (which, honestly, I wasn’t even aware they were doing yet for the 60th R0’s). Any time they do an exclusive run like different finishes or hand picked tops, Wildwood charges a premium.

I’m only referring to the gloss ones that were part of the normal line and still carried a $6499 MSRP. Every time Wildwood got one in, they charged $300-$400 extra for it.

Last edited:

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
[QUOTE="dc007, post: 9611695, member: Unless you are very very young and plan on keeping the guitar until you are very very old I would not even think about collectable....just MHO
[/QUOTE]
Forget collectability, if you're under 30 and global warming continues at the current rate, you aren't going to get very, very old... even original bursts will be worthless by then.

Mattcran

Reaction score
I own both and don't like gloss anymore. The 64RI SG I ordered last year is gloss and that was a mistake because if the pickup covers or tailpiece get a smudge it sticks out like a sore thumb. I much VOS prefer hardware and wish I ordered it that way.
I agree with this completely. Once you get used to VOS, gloss just looks strange. I'll also say that I've owned and sold both versions and you'll eventually get similar money for both, but gloss takes substantially longer to sell. I believe I remember a dealer telling me that Gibson produces vos vs gloss around 4 or 5:1 ratio based on demand.

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This les paul is coming from Watch tower guitars,the owner said that he special orderd 2 of these in gloss, because you dont see any gloss 60th R models.

also,while i have this post, going i figure ill ask here,instead of starting a new thread.You guys know how Gibson laquers over the sides of the nut? Well i was playing my 2018 R0 the other day,and was playing up at the nut,so my finger must have grabed the laquer on the side of the nut and pulled it off,causing a little tare of the laquer just under the nut.Any suggestions as to what i can do to fix the crack in the paint under the nut,before the paint breaks off?

Mattcran

Reaction score
This les paul is coming from Watch tower guitars,the owner said that he special orderd 2 of these in gloss, because you dont see any gloss 60th R models.

also,while i have this post, going i figure ill ask here,instead of starting a new thread.You guys know how Gibson laquers over the sides of the nut? Well i was playing my 2018 R0 the other day,and was playing up at the nut,so my finger must have grabed the laquer on the side of the nut and pulled it off,causing a little tare of the laquer just under the nut.Any suggestions as to what i can do to fix the crack in the paint under the nut,before the paint breaks off?
Off topic, but did you buy the guitar as new with warranty? I've bought from Watchtower before as well... good guys, but I don't recall them being an authorized Gibson dealer. Maybe that's changed, but they're still not coming up in the Gibson online dealer locator. I see they still have one of the gloss models on their website and they imply that they custom ordered them, but if they're not a dealer, I don't understand how. I may be wrong, but if you believe you bought new with warranty, you might double check to be safe.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Forget collectability, if you're under 30 and global warming continues at the current rate, you aren't going to get very, very old... even original bursts will be worthless by then.

Isn't there some sort of misery forum you could be visiting, instead of dragging your bullshit baggage here?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm already too freaking old to collect guitars for a cash payout 50 years from now.... I buy to play.

Maybe you need to collect ventilators, tree seeds, and kidney dialysis machines......

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off topic, but did you buy the guitar as new with warranty? I've bought from Watchtower before as well... good guys, but I don't recall them being an authorized Gibson dealer. Maybe that's changed, but they're still not coming up in the Gibson online dealer locator. I see they still have one of the gloss models on their website and they imply that they custom ordered them, but if they're not a dealer, I don't understand how. I may be wrong, but if you believe you bought new with warranty, you might double check to be safe.
yes thats exactly my concern...as to why i made this post, not as a poll, Gloss vs VOS, but, its just that ive never seen a gloss 60th R model before,and watchtower guitars has 2 and said they were custom orderd.I guess thats what i meant by, the guitar holding value, ..or maby that wasnt the correct choice of question.As i dont sell my guitars,and am going to be paying all this money, j just want this guitar to be “Right”?? I guess, as in it was orderd and came from Gibson as a gloss model, so that this specific serial, isnt obscene in the realm of all other 60th R models.

guitarded_82

Reaction score
You can buff VOS to whatever degree of gloss you want. So I'd go VOS just because more to chose from.

amorrow

Reaction score
I prefer VOS for the more “faded” colors, but like gloss for the brighter cherry/darkburst-like finishes.

That being said, I ended up getting a gloss green lemon because it had a great top, wanted that color, and love how it plays/sounds. It looks kind of weird with the bright hardware and such a faded looking finish you generally see on more worn guitars, but it shouldn’t take too much time for the hardware to age a bit or at least look dull after not cleaning it. Lol

Mattcran

Reaction score
yes thats exactly my concern...as to why i made this post, not as a poll, Gloss vs VOS, but, its just that ive never seen a gloss 60th R model before,and watchtower guitars has 2 and said they were custom orderd.I guess thats what i meant by, the guitar holding value, ..or maby that wasnt the correct choice of question.As i dont sell my guitars,and am going to be paying all this money, j just want this guitar to be “Right”?? I guess, as in it was orderd and came from Gibson as a gloss model, so that this specific serial, isnt obscene in the realm of all other 60th R models.
It would probably be in your best interest to question them on exactly what it is. On their website they seem to explicitly say they were "custom ordered," but they don't mention that in their Reverb listings... just that they're special, hand-selected, etc. Update: I swear their website this morning said they custom ordered them, now it seems to be changed to match Reverb. If they were custom ordered, they must have been ordered by another dealer, because I still don't think they're an authorized dealer. If you search Reverb for "59 Anniversary Gloss," several 2019's pull up, including one at Eddie's in St. Louis. They frequently order a mix and I know they had several gloss ones last year. The one that they still have is 993352 which seems like it would be a later one. Watchtower seems to be blurring their serial numbers for some reason. I'm guessing they're just standard gloss models, which like I said earlier, might be considered rarer because they simply make fewer of them due to demand. I'm sure Brett would make you a good deal on this one if they still have it:

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would probably be in your best interest to question them on exactly what it is. On their website they seem to explicitly say they were "custom ordered," but they don't mention that in their Reverb listings... just that they're special, hand-selected, etc. Update: I swear their website this morning said they custom ordered them, now it seems to be changed to match Reverb. If they were custom ordered, they must have been ordered by another dealer, because I still don't think they're an authorized dealer. If you search Reverb for "59 Anniversary Gloss," several 2019's pull up, including one at Eddie's in St. Louis. They frequently order a mix and I know they had several gloss ones last year. The one that they still have is 993352 which seems like it would be a later one. Watchtower seems to be blurring their serial numbers for some reason. I'm guessing they're just standard gloss models, which like I said earlier, might be considered rarer because they simply make fewer of them due to demand. I'm sure Brett would make you a good deal on this one if they still have it:
Wow!! Thanks alot for that link i really like that one,not sure he would match $4800

Mattcran

Reaction score
Wow!! Thanks alot for that link i really like that one,not sure he would match $4800
They might surprise you. Call and talk to Brett. As their stock gets older, they'll often mark them down to 5500 right before reverb 15% sales and then they go to 4675. They mark them as mint vs brand new. So...it's possible. Good luck!

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well,i ended up talking to Bret and he wasnt able to budge at all, but then talked to Watchtower guitars and they told me everything about the original R9 i wanted,and its basically the same deal,as another popular vendor.Watchtower is not,an Gibson dealer,but the owners partner is,a long time dealer,and is able to handpick these guitars, and order them.He actually had quite a few,of these and they all sold and these two were the last ones he has.He talked to me with the guitar in his hands and answerd every question i asked, very nice guy.I bought the R9 for $4880 next day air, and told me if i ever had any problem,that he would take care of it

Last edited:

Mattcran

Reaction score
Well,i ended up talking to Bret and he wasnt able to budge at all, but then talked to Watchtower guitars and they told me everything about the original R9 i wanted,and its basically the same deal,as another popular vendor.Watchtower is not,an Gibson dealer,but the owners partner is,a long time dealer,and is able to handpick these guitars, and order them.He actually had quite a few,of these and they all sold and these two were the last ones he has.He talked to me with the guitar in his hands and answerd every question i asked, very nice guy.I bought the R9 for $4880 next day air, and told me if i ever had any problem,that he would take care of it
Good deal. Congrats and happy incoming NGD!

SoK66

Reaction score
I can only add that I have a 2006 '59 VOS and the bloody compound they use to dull the finish for the "vintage original spec" effect is still rubbing off on the neck 14 years later. I've tried everything to get it off short of a blowtorch.

Latest Threads