Getting new 60th Anniversary R9, gloss or VOS?

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Im shopping for an 60th R9 and i have seen nothing but VOS models, accept for one shop that special orderd a couple all gloss finish nickle hardware models.My question is, should i get a vos or the gloss model, as far as would the gloss model be less collectable or an odd ball in this series of les paul.Thank you guys

danzego

Reaction score
I would worry more about what YOU like to see and feel than how collectable it may or may not be. Unless, of course, you’re buying it just to collect it.

Me, I like both. The VOS method these days doesn’t seem the same as it used to be. From what I can tell, it’s a lot more subtle and meant to take off that shininess of a gloss (though they still shine fine). The only thing I don’t care for with VOS is I think the rusty metal parts are a bit cheesy.

I guess if I had the option of the same guitar being built and VOS and Gloss were my options, I would take Gloss. But that’s because I’m not too concerned about my new guitar looking old. Some people, on the other hand, prefer it. With that said, I did just buy a VOS and it’s fine.

Last edited:

dyrhee

Reaction score
I agree with danzego, what matters is preference after you see the guitar in person. I've got an R9 in vintage gloss, and an R0 in VOS and for me personally, I like the look of the VOS. It's not that I need a guitar to look old, but I like the slight haze on the VOS and the lightly aged hardware. It just looks a little more tame to me and not in your face, but to each his own.

But, here's the other thing, in my limited experience. The guitars that I've owned and seen, some almost 50 years old don't really age like the VOS. Most of the time, the finish may show checking, chips, wear, and the like, but not really hazy.

Good luck, it's a good dilemma to have! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

cherrick

Reaction score
If you want to go "relic", get vOS.
If not and you will keep all shiny metal bits, go gloss.
So, no mods? Gloss. Mods coming? VOS

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Very good points you guys made....i like the gloss so that the guitar can age and attain natural patina, like the gold hardware on my 1996 SRV strat, i just have not seen any gloss 60th R models so i was looking to stay innthe norm of what Gibson was trying to do for that year?? I guess,..lol the seller giving me a deal of $4800 on this, this is her

Attachments

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Completely subjective and there’s no wrong answer... just personal preference. But if you’re taking a poll, I’d get VOS. I’ve had both gloss and VOS reissues and I personally prefer the VOS. YMMV

Clint

Reaction score
Very good points you guys made....i like the gloss so that the guitar can age and attain natural patina, like the gold hardware on my 1996 SRV strat, i just have not seen any gloss 60th R models so i was looking to stay innthe norm of what Gibson was trying to do for that year?? I guess,..lol the seller giving me a deal of $4800 on this, this is her
If that one plays as good as it looks, it wouldn't matter to me either way.
BTW gloss ones used to cost more due to the extra polishing.

jktxs

Reaction score
Neither will be any more collectable - custom shop build ~4K of just Les Paul reissues every year.
Killer tops tend to fetch a bit more used, so if you're looking solely at resale get the better looking one.

Reaction score
I'm personally a big fan of VOS, but it's really whatever floats your boat. I just feel like the gloss versions are too loud for me.

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
I didn't have the option. Not a fan of VOS. Mine felt like its been played by a 17 year old virgin who never washes his hands. If it was up to me, it'd be aniline cherry sunburst, as well instead of a fake aged colour.

judson

Reaction score
its a preference thing so no wrong answer really....

i have a 2006/2007 Prototype VOS R8 and like all my guitars not to look brand spanking new, cars yes pristine, but guitars no..true used is best and i think VOS just does what was intended to knock off that shine but not look faked really....i like like that.

like women, i like them clean and somewhat pristine as well but with a little bit of used whore thrown in!!! .... :rofl:

s-l1602.jpg
R8a.jpg

Last edited:

danzego

Reaction score
There is a $500 difference between gloss and VOS at Wildwood.
$400 (check your math ;) ) and yes, that’s what I’m talking about.

I seem to recall in a Gibson press release or when whichever year’s line was announced (I don’t recall when), the word straight from Gibson was that the VOS and Gloss models would cost the same. Despite that, to this day, Wildwood charges above MSRP for the gloss models. Not sure why.

jdm66

Reaction score
$400 (check your math ;) ) and yes, that’s what I’m talking about.

I seem to recall in a Gibson press release or when whichever year’s line was announced (I don’t recall when), the word straight from Gibson was that the VOS and Gloss models would cost the same. Despite that, to this day, Wildwood charges above MSRP for the gloss models. Not sure why.
You must have been looking at the R9's price, and I was looking at R0's pricing. :) The 60th R0 is $6999.00 for gloss $6499.00 for VOS. I don't understand why the difference? unless it's because it's a 60th.

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
Get the one that floats your boat. My R9 is VOS and I absolutely love that guitar BUT if I had to search for another one I would probably go gloss just because. In the first post the word collectable was used. Unless you are very very young and plan on keeping the guitar until you are very very old I would not even think about collectable....just MHO

framos

Reaction score
Whatever you like best, don´t think being gloss make it more or less collectable.

Personally I prefer VOS.

Latest Threads