Getting my last Epiphone before I make the Gibson jump.

Dkr84

Banned
Reaction score
I play all of my guitars, and I will continue to upgrade and play my Epiphones when when I have Gibsons. I've played a few Gibsons, and it's WAY better, but the Epiphones have just as much potential... They just need better parts.

Anyway, I thought the best transition would be a high quality Epiphone that has a Gibson style headstock- aka a Made in Japan Epiphone. I told myself I can't get a Gibson until I learn a certain solo the whole way through (November Rain outro solo). I have a Les Paul and an SG, and love them both- so I don't care which one I get... It's all gonna depend on the price/availability.

Anyway (again), I love the MIJs. How much should I pay for one, and would it be worth it over a Gibson Les Paul Studio or a Gibson SG Special? Or what about an Orville?

Reaction score
You can get an Elitist for about $700-$900 off ebay. The plain tops are at that price; The plus tops (flamed) are $1000 give or take. EDIT: And yes, they will absolutely be a better choice than any of those.

BigB

Reaction score
This keeps coming up. If I owned an epi elitist and a gibson lp studio I'd do the comparison myself. Perhaps we have a member who does and wouldn't mind. As far as I'm concerned I want the best and prefer saving my money til I can have it. I have zero experience with epi's but from the countless epi threads I read it seems that you have to upgrade the guitar the day you buy it. I don't like that.

Reaction score
This keeps coming up. If I owned an epi elitist and a gibson lp studio I'd do the comparison myself. Perhaps we have a member who does and wouldn't mind. As far as I'm concerned I want the best and prefer saving my money til I can have it. I have zero experience with epi's but from the countless epi threads I read it seems that you have to upgrade the guitar the day you buy it. I don't like that.
Elitists are a totally different story. Play a few standard Epiphones, then some Gibson Standards and Studios, then some Elitists. The Elitists are easily on par with the Gibson Standards, and blow the Studio's out of the water before immolating them with pure awesomeness.

kysrsoze

Reaction score
Elitists are a totally different story. Play a few standard Epiphones, then some Gibson Standards and Studios, then some Elitists. The Elitists are easily on par with the Gibson Standards, and blow the Studio's out of the water before immolating them with pure awesomeness.

That's interesting, since the Studio is basically a Standard without binding. Not saying the Japan models aren't fantastic, but there are Studios out there which toast Standards. I've played great and so-so Standards. It's all about that particular example geetar and which feels/sounds right to you. I still play the hell out of my Epi Custom. I still would entertain buying another Epi to go mod nuts on.

BTW - DKR, sure you don't just want to go Gibson and be done with it? You can get them for that price range pretty easily.

Rockstar

Reaction score
Yeah I dont get how a Standard wins the prize over the Elitist yet the Elitist blows the Standard without bindings out of the water?

Bindings control water? :)

Reaction score
So you are telling me that the $1500 difference between the Gibson Standard and the Studio is in the binding and a different finish? I don't think so. They use woods of lower quality in the studios. I played plenty of Les Pauls while searching for mine, and the Studios can't stand up to the Elitist.

lp_junkie

Reaction score
The MIJ Epis are excellent guitars, I own Gibsons, Epis and Orvilles, I will sell the Gibsons and Epis without question before either of the Orvilles go anywhere, one of mine has been my #1 guitar for 13 years now and I have taken it all over the US and Japan several times over the years.

Hands down better than any Gibson I've owned over the last 34 years.

I have always hated the Studios since I saw the first ones in 1984, to me they've never been what I considered a good Les Paul, just cheaper. with the multipiece bodies and crappy finishes on some of them they are just overpriced USA made Epis in my mind.

River

Reaction score
Why would you keep buying Epis if you really want a Gibson? You're wasting your money. Sell, save, and get what you want. You're being silly.

Reaction score
Why would you keep buying Epis if you really want a Gibson? You're wasting your money. Sell, save, and get what you want. You're being silly.
+1 The internet will just make you frustrated when buying a guitar. Buy what feels good to you, fool! :fingersx:

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah I dont get how a Standard wins the prize over the Elitist yet the Elitist blows the Standard without bindings out of the water?

Bindings control water? :)

It's not binding.

Aside from the poly finish the Epiphone Elitists are closer to a Gibson Historic in regards to build quality and build style (long tenon, headstock pitch, etc.) than they are to any Gibson USA model. The JDM models are comparable as well and some of them have "lacquer" finishes, which is not unlike nitro in the way it feels, looks, and reacts.

When you compare an Epiphone to a Gibson you must differentiate whether you mean a regular Epiphone or a JDM/Elitist model. The arguments for one over the other differ.

Orville models and other JDM brands such as Tokai and Burny rival that of Gibson's historic models in their own right.

Latest Threads