Getting my feet wet

Riffraff12571

Reaction score
I'm a recording noob trying to join modern society. I got a guitar interface from my wife years ago and because it didn't work with windows 8 which was what I had at the time it got tossed in the closet and sat there for years. Fast forward to a couple of months ago. I got sick of recording guitar clips with a looper pedal and decided to set the interface up. It's an entry level Lexicon Alpha. I had a crappy HP desk top that was new and not being used so I hooked it up to that and downloaded Reaper. I wake up at 4 a.m. every morning and fire it up while I'm waking up with a cup of coffee and try to learn something new before I have to do my morning animal chores and start work. The nice thing about Reaper besides being a low cost powerful tool which is what I wanted since the rest of my DAW rig is low budget crap is it's been around so long that whenever you want to know how to do something you can just type it in Google and the answer is right in front of you in a split second. Here's something I learned early....Windows updates SUCK! It took me a while to figure out why nothing worked after the 1st one came after loading Reaper.

Yesterday I learned how to load a backing track, edit it down to just a short section, fade the volume in & out and how to remove the 60hz hum from my recorded amp track. I also learned how to use the automated volume control to mask a mistake (unintended string noise in this case). I know this is childs play for most of you but....this is some fun stuff!

Here's the short clip byproduct of my lesson.

MIM Tele with a blade type humbucker in the bridge > Danelectro Pride of Texas OD > Tweaker in Brit, Tight, Deep, treble 5, Mid 5, Bass 3, Clean, gain control around 7 > Mass100 attenuator line out > interface > desk top running Reaper > G12M65 speaker IR > TAL Reverb 4 & Valhalla Supermassive delay plugins from free downloads.

https://soundcloud.com/riffraff12571%2Fshine-on-track-lead-take

Last edited:

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not bad if this was your first recording! :) I love Reaper. It's an awesome piece of software.

I make frequent use of its auto-punch capabilities to fix my screw-ups.

Riffraff12571

Reaction score
Did a web web collaboration on this. Man, what fun!

I used some pics I took some years ago along with a few I found on the web of a creepy abandoned collage nearby.

They fit the mood of the clip.

Last edited:

heartburn

Reaction score
Did a web web collaboration on this. Man, what fun!

I used some pics I took some years ago along with a few I found on the web of a creepy abandoned collage nearby.

They fit the mood of the clip.

Jumped over into the recording sub for some info this morning and stumbled on some of your projects. For just getting your feet wet your producing some insane quality and material. Hell of a gifted guitarist with a great ear. I am assuming by the post that this is your mix of the tune above and your understanding of sonic space and stereo mix isn't reflecting someone just getting their feet wet. Great job, the sound quality and more importantly great music and guitar into one of the best produced and mixed recordings I've heard in a long time. Wow.

Riffraff12571

Reaction score
Thanks man! That's a really nice compliment. I've been playing my whole life and have a pretty good ear but I'm new to the whole recording thing. Modern software makes it much easier than it was years ago with standalone recording devices. I spend 60 - 90 minutes a day working on different musical projects for fun and to learn how to do things.

My most recent project was taking a metal backing track I didn't like the flow of, cut it up and rearrange it into something more to my taste and make something out of it.

This is the original track someone posted for download.

I opened the track in Reaper and cut it up then rearranged the beginning and made it flow like this.

https://soundcloud.com/riffraff12571%2Fold-school-metal
Then I added my lead track to it and finished with this.

https://soundcloud.com/riffraff12571%2Fgimme-metal-528

Last edited:

Riffraff12571

Reaction score
I had a Windows 10 update that took down my DAW for a day which was a real bummer. I push them out as long as my PC will let me but eventually have to succumb. I got it running again last night. I celebrated early this morning adding a lead track to a piece a keyboard/drummer started and a bass player just finished with.

https://soundcloud.com/riffraff12571%2Fgone

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a recording noob trying to join modern society. I got a guitar interface from my wife years ago and because it didn't work with windows 8 which was what I had at the time it got tossed in the closet and sat there for years. Fast forward to a couple of months ago. I got sick of recording guitar clips with a looper pedal and decided to set the interface up. It's an entry level Lexicon Alpha. I had a crappy HP desk top that was new and not being used so I hooked it up to that and downloaded Reaper. I wake up at 4 a.m. every morning and fire it up while I'm waking up with a cup of coffee and try to learn something new before I have to do my morning animal chores and start work. The nice thing about Reaper besides being a low cost powerful tool which is what I wanted since the rest of my DAW rig is low budget crap is it's been around so long that whenever you want to know how to do something you can just type it in Google and the answer is right in front of you in a split second. Here's something I learned early....Windows updates SUCK! It took me a while to figure out why nothing worked after the 1st one came after loading Reaper.

Yesterday I learned how to load a backing track, edit it down to just a short section, fade the volume in & out and how to remove the 60hz hum from my recorded amp track. I also learned how to use the automated volume control to mask a mistake (unintended string noise in this case). I know this is childs play for most of you but....this is some fun stuff!

Here's the short clip byproduct of my lesson.

MIM Tele with a blade type humbucker in the bridge > Danelectro Pride of Texas OD > Tweaker in Brit, Tight, Deep, treble 5, Mid 5, Bass 3, Clean, gain control around 7 > Mass100 attenuator line out > interface > desk top running Reaper > G12M65 speaker IR > TAL Reverb 4 & Valhalla Supermassive delay plugins from free downloads.

https://soundcloud.com/riffraff12571%2Fshine-on-track-lead-take

Nice job.... Had a kinda Jimmy Thackery feel too with that into tone.... Good job....

Riffraff12571

Reaction score
Jimmy Thackery
Thanks man. It was a blade 'bucker loaded Telecaster through a Rocktron Valve Sonic Plexi preamp straight to my interface. The plugins were Two-Notes Torpedo WOS (Michael Neilsen's Big Hairy Cabs) and Valhalla Supermassive for touch of reverb and delay (free download). You don't need much in these "golden age of gear" days.
:cheers2:

Reactions: ehb

Latest Threads