getting drums for real soon...

JonMan94

Reaction score
Hey guys i may be getting my first drumset ever (well acoustic set)

after going to GC to figure out the budget and what i need, i need opinions from fellow drummers on the forum for a good drumset that doent bust 2 grand

I play alot of heavy metal and classic rock type music

drummers i like

Lars Ulrich
Marco Minnerman
Mitch Michell
The Rev
Joey Kramer
Ringo Starr ( i share his birthday go figure)

Im trying to avoid double bass (unless if its good sounding and not extremely expensive) but i am tom heavy, so im looking for a 7 piece set. 3 up 2 down.

whats a good set up for the budget?

one set that is looking good is the PDP x7 set, all maple.

:cool:

(dont flame please)

weirdotis

Reaction score
My personal #1-

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52PXFJsPMvc]YouTube - ‪John Bonham - Moby Dick Drum Solo (1973)‬‏[/ame]

nbeersiii

Banned
Reaction score
GC has some good deals on drums. I got an old set of ludwigs that aint to bad. I really like the gretch drums.

Benjammin

Reaction score
Im trying to avoid double bass (unless if its good sounding and not extremely expensive)

I dont know much about drums, so I cant help much, but you could always get a double kick pedal with only one bass drum if you were so inclined

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
Pdp sets are great bang for the buck, but I'd buy a used set cause you'll get 3x the kit for the same money. I'd also recommend 1 bass with a double pedal, and dont skimp on the throne, it might be the most important part of the kit cause if you aint comfortable you wont practice as much.

JonMan94

Reaction score
My mom asked the question of getting a used kit and the guy recommended it was much cheaper to go new... i can see why though.

im thinking of a single bass with dual pedals (thats what i got hooked up to my roland)

we will see... if i do get it, expect a NDD to come by.

bildozr

Florida Man
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My drummer has a Pearl. I think he paid $750 after he traded his old set. The guy had it marked for 1500, and he only gave him 300 for his old set. But the cash in hand made a difference.

Granted it didn't come with cymbals. But it's a monster set.

I had a Tama Swingstar. I loved it. They're discontinued but the other sets are great.

bertzie

Reaction score
Keep an eye on craigslist. Unlike guitars, scratched drums drop in price like a ton of bricks from the space shuttle.

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
Keep an eye on craigslist. Unlike guitars, scratched drums drop in price like a ton of bricks from the space shuttle.

Yeah, the guy who told you it would be cheaper to go new needs punched in the throat.

Fletch

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i may be getting my first drumset ever (well acoustic set)

after going to GC to figure out the budget and what i need, i need opinions from fellow drummers on the forum for a good drumset that doent bust 2 grand

I play alot of heavy metal and classic rock type music

drummers i like

Lars Ulrich
Marco Minnerman
Mitch Michell
The Rev
Joey Kramer
Ringo Starr ( i share his birthday go figure)

Im trying to avoid double bass (unless if its good sounding and not extremely expensive) but i am tom heavy, so im looking for a 7 piece set. 3 up 2 down.

whats a good set up for the budget?

one set that is looking good is the PDP x7 set, all maple.

:cool:

(dont flame please)

Do you already play or are you going to learn? I have lots of advice to offer having taken this up myself over the last year, depending on your response... (if you already know how I won't waste your time with the "get an instructor first thing" crap)

fletch

JonMan94

Reaction score
ive been learning and playing by ear for the last two years...

Fletch

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
ive been learning and playing by ear for the last two years...

Haha well then I'm going to tell you... GO GET A GOOD INSTRUCTOR. That's your best money spent. I went the same route, tried to teach myself with youtube vids and so on. Great if you want to play Beatles and AC/DC for the rest of your life. I started with an instructor about two months ago and have learned more in those two months than I could have ever learned in two years teaching myself.

As for acoustic drums, my neighbor is a music sales rep. (of some sort, not exactly sure) but he told me that pretty much all the common drum brands are made in the same factory in China now, just tagged to the brand. He pretty much said pick maple or birch depending on the sound you want and look for good shells with no voids, etc. and don't bother with the names. Get good heads like Evans or Remo if you want to spend some extra dough. It's different though if you go vintage.

Best bargain for cymbals is Wuhan. They are hand hammered in China the same way expensive cymbals are made, but at punch-press cymbal prices. For about $400 I got something like 9 or 11 cymbals shipped to my door from ebay and they sound just as good as anything.

Where you want to invest your money though is in two things...

1) get a great throne. Go to GC and sit in them all and pay whatever the price is for the one that fits you.

2) get a GREAT snare drum. This is the most important drum and the one that makes your sound. I'm on my fourth one now, but going back to my third. The first was the cheapo that came with my cheap kit and I hammered it literally to pieces. The second one was an 80's wood Ludwig Rocker that I thought/think sounded like ass, the third was an 80's Tama Imperial Star (best sounding, but the lugs are a weak point and mine are all either fractured or broke - still playable though) and my fourth was my most expensive investment yet of an early 60's Rogers Dynasonic which has a great jazz sound but noisey as hell. The Tama is much tighter sounding. By the way I paid $35 for the Ludwig, $40 for the Tama, and $400 for the Rogers (plus new heads and wires for each)

That's my .02 on your question.

Fletch

PS my kit is a trash picked JAMM set with Remo heads.

JonMan94

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the fact before i got into drums that i was a rock band and GH addict on that instrument?

After i started guitar i stopped for the most part playing the guitar parts of any music game, but drums attracted me. for the most part i can play alot of songs (partically metallica) songs in their entirely due to the muscle memory i received from played he games. i started to also learn songs by ear and can do decent drumovers... my problem is meter and certain tricks with hi hats and cymbals due to me practicng my chops on a electric set mostly. (a roland)

is wuhan a better choice than buying lets say a zijidan set? i was wanting the ZBT pack

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
When it comes to cymbals you get what you pay for. Wuhan are cheap...and they sound like crap imo.

Fletch

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you got the dough buy the Zildjian. I'm not really to the point where I'm a good enough drummer to discern the difference but if you want affordable cymbals to learn on the Wuhans are great for the money IMO.

fletch

JonMan94

Reaction score
I just want good sounding cymbals that are cheap and durable, mainly i just want a 17, 18, 19 inch crashes and good rides and china (im not a big splash user)

hardware wise, is the DW 3000 series good for a intermediate? i dont consider myself a beginner.

and so far, im liking the idea of the pdp x7 in black

Lyrica

Songwriting Machine
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
my roommate and i picked up a kit on ebay in pieces. core was a vintage rogers set, picked up a good snare, 7" deep, and a set of cymbals separately. it's a 5k valued kit we picked up for less than 3k total. good enough for just about anything we want to do.

and if you like double bass sound without having a double bass, get yourself a slave pedal.

Latest Threads