Getting back into playing LP's.

rdnzl

Reaction score
After a long hiatus, I am getting back into Les Paul's, and guitars in general. Hand surgery and some other issues made me quit. But I'm at the point where I think I can give it the old college try.

Now that I am retired, money doesn't grow on trees any more, so I think I am going to get a 2017 Faded T in the worn cherry finish. I've heard some good things about them.

Seem like a good choice for the money. Anyone have any red flags on this model?

And $799 is pretty much my budget. And nothing that says Epiphone on it will excite me.

Good to be back.

JM2112

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the model you're looking at. Other models that are a good value are Classics and Studios. Used is certainly the way to go. If you're patient and look around you can find some really great guitars for less money than buying new.

Pay a visit to some place like Guitar Center and try a bunch of LP's to see what style neck and pick ups you prefer, and then go from there. Good luck in your search. :)

Guitpicky

Reaction score
If you're not in a mad rush, keep searching craigslist for a couple of weeks and something will pop up if you're in a decent sized city.

It took two weeks for me to find both my acoustic and Les Paul. I got great deals on awesome guitars that were new but being sold by a private party. I even got receipts and factory warranties.

Ebay can be ok too, but any seller who knows eBay is going to pad the price to cover eBay/PayPal fees. Both of mine were also listed on eBay for $200-$300 more than they were going for on craigslist and I got to see them in person before buying.

I know I got lucky but I'm proof that you can with a little patience :)

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wooo hoooo!! Congrats. It's a good feeling getting back in to playing

mobidevjc

Reaction score
Nice to hear you're back in the game. For a new LP at regular price, the closest you'll get that's worthwhile is probably a Faded T, as you noted. For $100 more the Tribute T is interesting as well and might be worthwhile if you can wait to save the extra cash. Both are great values and the ones I've tried play well.

If you're going to get it at Guitar Center, don't forget to sign up for their email offers and those from Musician's Friend (which GC honors). They have 15% off coupons pretty regularly, which will save you $135 on the Tribute, putting it into your range, or $120 on the Faded.

Beyond that, look for a used one.

uwmcscott

Reaction score
I was in your exact shoes about 5 years ago and ended up with a Studio Deluxe 2012 model. You can find them used for your price range and under. Full gloss nitro finish, hard case, and they came in both 50s or 60s neck versions. I think the first year was 2011 thru 2014. Early models had coil splitting and later ones added a boost circuit. I think they are one of the best bang for your buck out there.

rdnzl

Reaction score
I got the 2017 Faded T yesterday. I'm quite surprised at how nice it is. Lots of sustain. The hardware seems more than adequate. I like the neck a lot.
The setup is very good, and the pickups are also quite nice, to my ears anyway. I picked up a little Vox VT20X amp to play it with, and am learning how to use it. But so far I have gotten some nice tones, with some fiddling.

Travis19

Reaction score
Congrats. :cheers2: Now, start a NGD thread with pictures please.

Latest Threads