Getting a bit anxious about up coming surgery.

twst1up

Reaction score
Hate is such a strong word for pain! What did pain ever do to u? Lol

You'll be cline and you'll be glad you did it...and waking up from that propofol sh!t is awesome!

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Aw, sounds pretty cut and dried to me. If you've had kidney stones, everything else is nothing in comparison. I know..I've had a whopping 'widow maker' heart attack, 100% blockage, and passing a stone was even worse.

Had a defib/pacemaker put in a couple of years ago. Went in..out like a light in 30 seconds. Woke up and it was all good. A couple loritabs didn't hurt either. :laugh2:

You'll do fine. We have a built in facility for dealing with pain. Good luck! :)

Alden

Reaction score
Get one of those little scooters that you put your knee on to get around after the surgery. My Wife had foot surgery and that scooter was great, better than crutches unless you are going up and down stairs or over very uneven surfaces.

It will be OK, just keep it elevated with ice, if Doc says ice is OK, to keep the swelling down too.
Alden

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
You're right to be nervous. I'd be downright terrified. Recent studies show that most surgeons go on benders the night before a surgery, with strippers and coke amid the usual thumb hole wine bottles. This pisses off their wives so badly that they get screamed at as soon as they wake up in the morning before work, and they drive to the hospital "just ready to f*ckin MURDER someone."
That's a scientific fact.
If I were you, I'd pack a small .38 and I wouldn't take the gas.
But that's just me.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get one of those little scooters that you put your knee on to get around after the surgery.

I read this TOO fast the first time.

What I thought I saw : "Get one one of those little cooters ..."

Shook my head and did a double take ...

And the second time I thought it said : "Get one of those little coolers that you put your knee on ..."

Well, that was marginally better and I figured you'd at least have a place for your beer.

But anyway, all three are good advice. :laugh2:

Foot surgery is no joke. I had it and got a post-surgical MRSA infection. Wish I'd at least have had the cooler full of beer. Wouldn't have worked with the industrial-strength antibiotics they gave me, but it might have been more enjoyable.

Best wishes for a speedy and good recovery. :wave:

ZWILDZR1

Reaction score
Thank you all for the good vibes sent my way. It was a crazy day yesterday for sure. We got there 15 minutes late but no big deal. I kept remembering things I needed to take with me and so went back and forth from the house. I didn't have long to wait once we got to the hospital.

The anesthesiologist said he was going to give me a block in the back of the knee that would deaden my lower leg for 19-20 hours. This on top of the drugs for twilight sleep. He had an accent that made it a bit harder to understand him at times. Not sure maybe German. So when they came to take me to the operating room what I was told didn't match what he said I was getting.

Also my girlfriend heard one of the female nurses outside my pre op room say something about amputating the right side toe. She immediately went on the defensive when my nurse came back with the guys who were taking me back. They went over what I was having done. Like making sure it was my right foot big toe and the Dr. had already used a marker on my right foot.

They did check about the block. The Dr. told the anesthesiologist he was going to numb out my whole foot and I wouldn't feel anything so if I was to get the block behind the knee it made more sense to get it after the surgery.
They took me back got me on the table and the Dr. asked what I liked to do for fun when not getting operated on. I told him play guitar and he asked what bands I liked. So we just talked a few minutes while they prepped me.

Oh yes the guys who took me back were discussing what the one liked doing himself. He said he loved killing **** and couldn't wait to go on his next hunting trip. He was fixing bad for a kill. Thought this was kind of odd for a guy working in a hospital out patient surgery but then again maybe not.

Back on the table talking with the Dr. I was getting the syringes for twilight and I was staying focused and boom everything went dark I was out. I woke up in recovery some two hours later all done and feeling no pain. The Dr. talked to my girl letting her know how it went and what to do to help me at home with ice and keeping it elevated. The Dr. was really cool guy I like a lot and he did excellent work.

He gave the GF a small tiny x ray of my finished toe with all the metal hardware shown. They decided I didn't need that block in the back of the knee after all which is probably good. My throat is still sore and scratchy from the breathing tube they put down my throat after I was put under. The Dr. told her I was in recovery and breathing on my own and would be back soon.

So all went well and I have this big boot that protects my foot and toes and it is inflatable inside so nothing moves around. Have to wear it for six wonderful weeks. I go back to see the Dr. next Thursday so he can check out how I'm healing. In the meantime I will be playing guitar, listening to music, and watch my Christmas gift that the GF just found a couple weeks ago. It's The Song Remains the Same, she forgot where she hid it. Thanks again for all the good wishes and fast recovery. :D

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you came out OK. Definitely follow all care instructions to the letter !

Enjoy the recovery as best you can.

Mule Train

Reaction score
Glad to hear you made it through ok. I always worry too, but I guess that's normal for most folks.

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great news man..
Hope you heal fast and enjoy your time off..

Left Paw

Reaction score
Everything will be fine. I've been under several times for various procedures. Its good to wake up and say hello to vicodin.

raunch

Reaction score
Very happy everything went fine! Get well soon!

Personally I get very very nervous about operations. Even visits to the doc knocked me for a six. Then one day I had to do an MRI, which meant needles and the fear of the diagnosis. Now I'd get super nervous. So I went to the docs and she gave me some benzos. I know you can get very addicted to these, so I'm not telling anyone to take them for longer than one or two times in a row. Anyway, I took on and it took all the anxiety away. I felt very rational about it all. In fact it did so well for me that I never needed to take one again (well, I did for a flight) and it completely cured my fear of needles! If I ever need a serious operation like you, I'd take one and sit back...cos in the end, if you need the operation, you need it. And if there's something that gets rid of the fear until the operation, why not ey?

Latest Threads