get better at blues rhythm and soloing

Reaction score
I've been trying to learn the blues, as I love the likes of Johnny Winter, Freddie B.B. and Albert King, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Gary Moore, and T-Bone Walker. I've been just playing the few scales I know and chords I've learned, and I'm getting incredibly bored. If anyone can lend some tips on how I can spice my playing up I'd appreciate (beginner language please, been playing for about 1 1/2 year now)

Deftone

Reaction score
If you're bored, you're not challenging yourself. Instructors help a great deal or you can join a band or jam with someone. Learn how to play those songs you like and play along with them.

I play & practice scales, chords & solos with my Fender G-DEC. It has Drum and Bass tracks and allows me to set the tempo and key, as well as the guitar tone and EFX. I can also plug in a CD or MP3 player so I can play along with songs. It's pretty basic but it keeps things simple and entertaining for me. Fender doesn't make them anymore but they are available used for not much $ and of course there are lots of alternatives out there that do the same. I'm always having fun with it.

There are also Guitar practice games to help you learn like Rocksmith, etc...

https://www.theguitarlesson.com/guitar-lesson-blog/guitar-lesson-review/top-guitar-games/

Reaction score
If you're bored, you're not challenging yourself. Instructors help a great deal or you can join a band or jam with someone. Learn how to play those songs you like and play along with them.

I play & practice scales, chords & solos with my Fender G-DEC. It has Drum and Bass tracks and allows me to set the tempo and key, as well as the guitar tone and EFX. I can also plug in a CD or MP3 player so I can play along with songs. It's pretty basic but it keeps things simple and entertaining for me. Fender doesn't make them anymore but they are available used for not much $ and of course there are lots of alternatives out there that do the same. I'm always having fun with it.

There are also Guitar practice games to help you learn like Rocksmith, etc...

https://www.theguitarlesson.com/guitar-lesson-blog/guitar-lesson-review/top-guitar-games/
thank you very much, ive been trying to get an instructor but I do not have time for lessons. I've been learning mean town blues by Johnny Winter, which I love, but my main concern is that my solos in the scales just move up and down the strings somewhat, like 1st fret (of the scale) E 3rd fret B 1st fret B 3rd fret G...

Deftone

Reaction score
thank you very much, ive been trying to get an instructor but I do not have time for lessons. I've been learning mean town blues by Johnny Winter, which I love, but my main concern is that my solos in the scales just move up and down the strings somewhat, like 1st fret (of the scale) E 3rd fret B 1st fret B 3rd fret G...
yep, I get it. That's why I like playing with a drum beat and bass line. You'll stay in key and on time and as you develop speed through repetition, you'll start to develop licks. Plus it's fun.

You Tube is great for free lessons. Keep trying new instructors until you find one you like.

Here's a few I like:

https://www.youtube.com/c/MartyMusic
https://www.youtube.com/c/SignalsMusicStudio

This one is great for improving your solos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/fretjamdotcom

It takes a lot of time and practice. I've been doing it for many years and I still have a long way to go.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
If you can make time to practice, you can make time for lessons. Half an hour a week plus the time to get there and back. You can fit that into your schedule if you decide it's important to you.

Improvement takes effort and learning. A good teacher will help, but you've got to practice what he teaches you.

My biggest mistake, which for me probably held me back, was that I should have learned more theory at an earlier stage. Because, I'm more of an analytical person, and less of a "feel" person. I had to be TOLD what the right notes to play are, and theory lessons unlocked those secrets for me. But for other people, theory may not help them, as they can find the notes that feel right.

Pick a scale you don't know. Learn it. Practice it until you can play it up and down the fingerboard with ease. When this is done, repeat with a different scale.

Play the A Major scale. Now play the A Minor scale. Now play the A Minor Blues scale. Use this by itself to know the differences between Major, Minor, and Blues scales. Very useful information.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
First if getting an Insructor, be very clear on what you want to get out of the lessons, i,e,, abilty to jam with others, or play Blues songs, or improvixe, etc.

Gfunk_Minor

Ooooops
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can make time to practice, you can make time for lessons. Half an hour a week plus the time to get there and back. You can fit that into your schedule if you decide it's important to you.

Improvement takes effort and learning. A good teacher will help, but you've got to practice what he teaches you.

My biggest mistake, which for me probably held me back, was that I should have learned more theory at an earlier stage. Because, I'm more of an analytical person, and less of a "feel" person. I had to be TOLD what the right notes to play are, and theory lessons unlocked those secrets for me. But for other people, theory may not help them, as they can find the notes that feel right.

Pick a scale you don't know. Learn it. Practice it until you can play it up and down the fingerboard with ease. When this is done, repeat with a different scale.

Play the A Major scale. Now play the A Minor scale. Now play the A Minor Blues scale. Use this by itself to know the differences between Major, Minor, and Blues scales. Very useful information.
@cmjohnson I am just the opposite of you. I don't know theory for $hit. But, I can listen to a piece of music, and just start jammin right over the top of it. So, I'm glad you mentioned "feel" becuase that best describes how I play solos. I have no idea what the next note is, and 98% of the time they just work. And, if they don't I can usually bend it enought to make it work. LOL

I think if we get the OP to really look objectively at his playing, that may be the best advice we can offer. Is he a theory, or feel player. I also agree with you that a good teacher can save years of struggle with a few good lessons.

Deftone

Reaction score
@cmjohnson I am just the opposite of you. I don't know theory for $hit. But, I can listen to a piece of music, and just start jammin right over the top of it. So, I'm glad you mentioned "feel" becuase that best describes how I play solos. I have no idea what the next note is, and 98% of the time they just work. And, if they don't I can usually bend it enought to make it work. LOL

I think if we get the OP to really look objectively at his playing, that may be the best advice we can offer. Is he a theory, or feel player. I also agree with you that a good teacher can save years of struggle with a few good lessons.
That's really cool. I always find it interesting to learn who knows theory and who doesn't.

monty john

Reaction score
May sound counter intuitive but when I get bored or stuck I take time off....maybe 2 3 days...then come back and its fresher....or perhaps a different guitar like a tele, I play completely different on a tele then say a les paul....those 2 things there have always worked for me

EasyAce

Reaction score
Listen to the jazz people who didn't forget the blues. You'd be amazed at what you can pick up from them, sometimes without even trying, and they don't necessarily have to be guitar players, either . . .

Reaction score
Thank you all! My weeks are jammed packed with racing, school 7-10 PM, repeat. I barely have time to practice. That's why I haven't gotten lessons. I really CANNOT fit them in right now. I would love to, but for now youtube will be the way.

Zungle

Reaction score
J
Thank you all! My weeks are jammed packed with racing, school 7-10 PM, repeat. I barely have time to practice. That's why I haven't gotten lessons. I really CANNOT fit them in right now. I would love to, but for now youtube will be the way.
Join here,

They have a very good structured Core system.....

Learn and practice on your own shedule....

Latest Threads