Gere Selling $1 Million Guitar Collection

1959burst

Reaction score
Gere Selling $1 Million Guitar Collection

Richard Gere is selling off his prized guitars in a bid to raise $1 million for humanitarian charities.

The Pretty Woman star has amassed a huge collection over the past 20 years, including several top branded instruments such as Gibson and Fender.

His 110-strong range also includes guitars once owned by blues legend Albert King and Jamaican reggae musician Peter Tosh, but Gere is preparing to part ways with his prized pieces at a Christie´s auction in New York in October (11).

Gere says, "They have been my true friends through the best and worst of times. I never planned to put together a collection. I just bought ones that I liked, the ones that sounded good and played well.

"Some are very special. Although it´s more than a little painful to let them go, each one has been played, loved and appreciated - and will be again."

Kerry Keane, the head of Christie´s musical instruments department, adds, "What transpired over a lifetime is an almost encyclopaedic representation of American guitar making. This is an exciting opportunity for collectors and fans alike to take advantage of Mr. Gere´s unrecognised talent for creating a cohesive collection."

All proceeds from the 11 October (11) sale will go to humanitarian causes around the world.

Blues4U

Reaction score
He's from Oklahoma----Only two things in Oklahoma;)

Just a quote from one of my favorite movies of his---:)

b3john

Reaction score
That's on the order of $9000+ per guitar.

Break out the '58 V and the '31 Martin, that's still almost $8000 per guitar.

:hmm:

zontar

Reaction score
What is it with Buddhist leaning type actors & Albert King guitars?

:D

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
"In retrospect, lighting the match was my big mistake. But I was only trying to retrieve the gerbil," Eric Tomaszewski told bemused doctors in the Severe Burns Unit of Salk Lake City Hospital. Tomaszewski, and his homosexual partner Andrew "Kiki" Farnum, had been admitted for emergency treatment after a felching session had gone seriously wrong.

"I pushed a cardboard tube up his rectum and slipped Raggot, our gerbil, in," he explained. "As usual, Kiki shouted out 'Armegeddon!', my cue that he'd had enough. I tried to retrieve Raggot but he wouldn't come out again, so I peered into the tube and struck a match, thinking the light might attract him."

At a hushed press conference, a hospital spokesman described what happened next. "The match ignited a pocket of intestinal gas and a flame shot out the tube, igniting Mr Tomaszewski's hair and severely burning his face. It also set fire to the gerbil's fur and whiskers which in turn ignited a larger pocket of gas further up the intestine, propelling the rodent out like a cannonball."

Tomaszewski suffered second degree burns and a broken nose from the impact of the gerbil, while Farnum suffered first and second degree burns to his anus and lower intestinal tract.
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I can only assume he meant "Armageddon outta here!!!":naughty:

mtgguitar

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
He should use the money to buy acting lessons.

Howard2k

Reaction score
Good on him. I suspect he gets a good tax break on it so it is not purely from the goodness of his heart. But I think he is a pretty decent actor and it is nice to see him give something back.

Latest Threads