George Harrison "Lucy" Les Paul

mundtjg

Reaction score
I know that there is a lot of interest for the Les Paul that George used later on in the Beatles so wanted to clue people in that Guitar Center currently has a run of about 100 Cherry red Les Paul Traditional Pros on their Platinum site. They have '57 classics in the necks and burstbucker 3s in the bridge. They are tapped so you can get a pretty decent single coil sound, too. The necks are a slimmer 60s type profile and are easy to play. They do not have offset split tops, but you can scan through all of them available and find the grain pattern you like best. They have grover tuners with metal tulip keys, but that is an easy swap out to standard grovers. Add a custom truss rod cover and you are pretty darn close to Lucy. They are listed at $1,999 so short of buying a custom shop model or putting a lot of money into having something refinished, I think it is a pretty good deal. Ordered one on Tuesday, just waiting for it to arrive. They are worth a look if you have ever wanted one

gypsyseven

Reaction score
Wow, please post some pics as soon as possible....

mundtjg

Reaction score
Thanks, the link I posted has really detailed photos from several angles. I already bought a set of Throbak pickup covers to add, just waiting for it to arrive.

LuisPaul

Reaction score
It looks like one that Page used many times, including in the song remains the same.

Rodolphe

Reaction score
Did you know that Clapton used this lucy les paul on "while my guitar gently weeps"?

mundtjg

Reaction score
Got my "Lucy" last weekend and it sounded pretty good with the stock pickups, but a lot of mods are underway. I have already changed out the tuners, truss rod cover, and jack plate. I added pointers for the knobs and some dunlop strap locks. I am going to switch out all the hardware to nickel instead of chrome. I will also be substituting the tailpiece and bridge with Callaham parts and I just ordered a set of Electric City RD-59s to throw in too. I will post pics after I get it all done. It's a beauty and short of the offset seam and missing "les paul model" will be same as George's guitar

Guitarhack

Reaction score
Very nice. Post pics when you get her. Here's George's.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imb4tYOk8GE[/ame]

Reaction score
Is it kinda wild how the weights can vary so much. Just random picks and I saw a range of 8lb 4oz to 10lb 12oz.

mundtjg

Reaction score
I'll add a couple of pics of the progress so far. Just wanted to revise my comment on the stock pickups, too. I thought that they weren't bad, but there was something kind of harsh and muddy about them. I don't know why I didn't notice sooner, but the bridge pickup was way too high. I lowered it and... magically... the tone and clarity improved dramatically. The sound is a lot more workable and musical. I'm still going to swap out the '57 classic and the burstbucker for Electric City RD-59s because for basically the exact same price of Gibson pickups, I have a feeling the tone and clarity are going to take another big leap with the new pickups. Thinking about getting new pots and wiring from Jonesy too have thrown in at the same time as the pickups. Thinking the 50s set, any suggestions?

mundtjg

Reaction score
The transformation of my Trad Pro Les Paul over to Lucy is complete. Since the last pics I posted the following has been done:

Replaced stock pups with Electric City RD-59s
Re-finished and relic'd

Total investment: Much less than the 15k Custom Shop version

Attachments

YoshiJimbo

Reaction score
Congrats! I have a '12 Les Paul Trad. Pro which I've been quite happy with. ^ ^

Latest Threads