Genuine-looking MIJ Bursts?

MCT

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I’ve bought around 7-8 MIJ LPs so far, and I love many of them, but the biggest strike I have against them thus far is the lack of a convincing old-looking burst. Many of the MIJ bursts I’ve found across the spectrum are either veneers (which look too glossy and fake-ish), or extreme, new-seeming bursts. Are there any brands/models I should be looking out for that would most closely resemble a burst like the one below?

This isn’t to knock the MIJ- I sold all my Gibson LPs when I started buying MIJs, as they play better than their American counterparts. It’s more of an aesthetic thing.

Thanks in advance.
FC94363D-545F-46E9-8AED-93F1FD51ACAA.jpeg

lpfan1980

Reaction score
My vote goes to Navigator. Many of the high end MIJ LPs claimed to use lacquer but it must have had lots of additional stuff in it because they mostly didn't age like real lacquer. Navigators used the real deal. But most of them are light bursts or lemon tops.

View attachment 416212
Oh yum thats neatoriffic :p .

pylyo

Reaction score
Old LS Tokais, especially some higher end, like LS120 or LS200.
Old higher end Grecos can look very burstish as well.

And like someone from above already mentioned, in some cases ObG also do come looking very old burstish alike.
I used to own an ObG Standard with a real figured top, which figuring pattern looked like the real old burst, not too much but just right, it was kinda mix of flames and quilt. And with honey burst color it was spot on.
Also owned a plain top Obg 57RI in Tobacco burst, looked great and more authentic then pretty much anything I owned from MIJ later. Was a great guitar, wish never sold that one...

As for Navigators, Momose and some other topnotch MIJ lesters, in most cases they look newish/modern and lack that vintage note to their color schemes (although there's one Momose in cherry from Villager, that looks great and quite proper to my eyes)..
However, solid color I think is different story, gold tops and black beauties, Crews LED series do these pretty much spot on, they really go deeply into details with these..

Last edited:

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Honey Burst, flames, ya got memories of JDB's EGF1200 doggin' me now ( :doh:)

Reactions: JDB

currypowder

Reaction score
I'm a little partial, but I think my 1980 Greco EGF-1200 is pretty convincing.

Then there's my 1980 Reborn Old LS-120

Both are veneers, but I find the flame tops to be subtle and very vintage looking.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Can't see the image, but I remember it, I got a spending pass around 6 months later :mad2: