Gene Simmons "No new iconic artist has emerged since 1988."

Chango Malo

Reaction score
Oh yeah, forgot to say:

"Go sit next to Wolfdown Dem Donuts and shut up, Gene. You haven't been relevant since the 70's"

Pal

Reaction score
Nas is post 1988 so is Biggie. Sean Combs came out in 1988 or 1989. Not really this group's cup of tea but they are iconic. I think Bruno Mars is iconic. I really like Harry Styles' music don't really love all his other nonsense.

And as was mentioned, all the music that popped off in the early 90s. Also, I will never get the notion that good music isn't always being produced. Cage the Elephant, The Donkeys, The Brian Jonestown Massacre and Sunflower Bean remind me of great bands from the 60s and 70s with a modern flare.

Jack White is pretty iconic.

I hate being critical of music but Kiss has maybe two good songs, maybe. I own something like 40,000 albums and not one of Kiss' offerings.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nirvana
Soundgarden
STP
Slipknot

Gene Simmons sold out more than the toilet paper isles in 2020. He wasn’t paying attention if he doesn’t know of any other icons .....

Reactions: Pal

PeteK

Reaction score
I guess I was going more for iconic. I enjoy Mudhoney, but I wouldn't say they were an iconic band to the extent that Nirvana was.

Hell, even the pop/punk era of the mid 90's churned out some "icons". Green Day, like them or not, have been around a long time now.

jimcrawford64

Reaction score
Pearl Jam put out an album last year. Soundgarden was back together when Cornell died. Jerry Cantrell still puts out Alice in Chains albums. Music evolves over time.

Again, because you don't like the music doesn't mean it doesn't exist. What does "iconic" mean to you? I was a kid in the 90's. You know how many of those Nirvana smiley face posters I saw on walls or stickers on skateboards? It was everywhere. Cobain was on every magazine cover. If you lived in the suburbs, you were issued a copy of Nevermind. It came in the mail with samples of Tide. And 30 years later you'll still hear Nirvana on rock radio stations every day. I'm pretty sure he qualifies as iconic.
Linkin Park were on most magazine covers too. Does that mean they are iconic? Just because you hear Nirvana on rock stations in 2021 doesn't make them iconic. Hell a few days ago I was seeing Linkin Park music on MTV classic.

Iconic to me means artists who were innovative, changed the landscape of music, broke colour barriers (black musicians), had an huge impact on culture etc etc.

DotStudio

Reaction score
Linkin Park were on most magazine covers too. Does that mean they are iconic? Just because you hear Nirvana on rock stations in 2021 doesn't make them iconic. Hell a few days ago I was seeing Linkin Park music on MTV classic.

Iconic to me means artists who were innovative, changed the landscape of music, broke colour barriers (black musicians), had an huge impact on culture etc etc.
Nirvana most definitely changed the landscape of music and had a huge impact on culture. The number of flannels worn in my high school could have kept the world's homeless warm in the 90's. The height of grunge may have only lasted a few years, but that's just because mainstream rock adopted many of its elements. Hell, that shitty Puddle of Mudd band was cranking out hits in the early 2000's, and they just sounded like Nirvana Lite. Nirvana's little brother Foo Fighters, as milquetoast as I find them, are still coming out with hits. Nirvana seems to clearly fit your own narrow definition of "iconic".

jimcrawford64

Reaction score
Nirvana most definitely changed the landscape of music and had a huge impact on culture. The number of flannels worn in my high school could have kept the world's homeless warm in the 90's. The height of grunge may have only lasted a few years, but that's just because mainstream rock adopted many of its elements. Hell, that shitty Puddle of Mudd band was cranking out hits in the early 2000's, and they just sounded like Nirvana Lite. Nirvana's little brother Foo Fighters, as milquetoast as I find them, are still coming out with hits. Nirvana seems to clearly fit your own narrow definition of "iconic".
How did they exactly lol? Because Kurt died at the age of 27? I'm sorry but that's not an iconic status to me.

Queen, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Beatles are Iconic.

Majority of grunge bands sounded like 70s rock bands too lol!

PeteK

Reaction score
How did they exactly lol? Because Kurt died at the age of 27? I'm sorry but that's not an iconic status to me.

So Jimi Hendrix wasn't iconic? Same age as Cobain when he died. Your goal posts keep moving...

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

How old was Hendrix?

Was Kiss iconic in Disco?

Did hair metal exist in the mainstream limelight after Nirvana?

There was a paradigm shift that happened right smack on Nirvanas lap?

Did they ride the wave or drive the wave... who knows, but it happened!

How original was the British Invasion if you spoke to musicians in a blues club at the time.

Every generation rides on what the previous did.

Was Bob Dylan, or Neil Young a better or more iconic than Cobain, Eddie Vedder, Layne or Cornell?

DotStudio

Reaction score

I honestly can't tell if you're sixty or fourteen, but the 90's being my formative years, I can say that Nirvana (I don't even like them) completely changed the game.

We went from this...

Screenshot_20210419-222046_Google.jpg

to this...

Screenshot_20210419-222401_Google.jpg

... almost overnight.

And yes, grunge music was a revival. So was Guns n Roses, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and a host of other iconic acts. You can not like something and still see that it made an incredible impact.

Regardless, this guy checks off even more of your conditions for icon status. Mom's spaghetti.

Screenshot_20210419-223210_Google.jpg

Last edited:

jimcrawford64

Reaction score
I honestly can't tell if you're sixty or fourteen, but the 90's being my formative years I can honestly say that Nirvana (I don't even like them) completely changed the game.

We went from this...

View attachment 532503

to this...

View attachment 532504

... almost overnight.

And yes, grunge music was a revival. So was Guns n Roses, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and a host of other iconic acts. You can not like something and still see that it made an incredible impact.

Regardless, this guy checks off even more of your conditions for icon status. Mom's spaghetti.

View attachment 532513
Lol I was born in the 60s and of course your defense mode for Nirvana is going to happen. You were in school then when they were huge. You weren't alive when rock peaked in the 70s. Are you actually serious when you mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughan and you stated the 90s were your formative years? Stevie died in 1990.

Yet grunge didn't last long at all. That's what people keep forgetting.

Queen, Metallica, The Police, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who etc are Iconic

Latest Threads