Gene Simmons "No new iconic artist has emerged since 1988."

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
but in terms of general artists like the next Prince, no one springs to mind there either, maybe we all so jaded nothing really wows us anymore? Sure there have been plenty of talented enough performers, but ‘iconic ‘? I think he’s right now I think on it.
I think part of that is the industry and part of that is the fans.

On one hand back then you had: movies, tv, books, music,... that was pretty much it for entertainment. And everyone dug it.

Now you have seemingly endless entertainment in the palm of your hand. And "Entertainment" itself has been completely devalued.

Want a movie, show, song, or book? Just download it,... instantly. It's not special anymore. You can have everything you want instantly.

On top of that the Studios don't really promote rock or metal anymore like they used to. They're not 'The Big Thing'. Hip-Hop and Pop became the vehicle for 'Rock Star Behavior'. The decadent ones flashing money around and acting like big-baller douchebags? .. .yeah that's Hip-Hop and Pop now,.. not Rock. Rock has become blue collar *cough*white mans*cough* working mans 'low brow' music. It's popular with a certain crowd but it's doubtful it will ever reach the heights it did in the past because people and the industry by and large just don't care about it.

The only thing keeping the electric guitar and rock n roll/metal going, is the love from people that actually love and play the music.

And the big 'Pop Artists' of the day are the ones the studios get behind and Promote! Promote! Promote! and go, "this is your New Idol!"

And the sheeple get stars in their eyes and go, "This Is Our New Idol!"

It doesn't matter if the person is good or not, or has talent, or can actually sing or dance. The studio will assemble the album, the producer will auto-tune it, some Hungarian ghost writer will write the songs, the studio will hire a personal trainer/dietician and dance instructor to teach the 'Star' how to move. All they need is someone that looks good and is willing to do anything/one to get to the top.

Souls are cheap these days and there's a million kids who want to be the next Beyonce/Kardashian.

There's a much smaller amount of people willing to sit on the edge of their bed investing hundreds of hours into learning how to play a guitar and more importantly how to write a song on one.

And the ones who do put in that time, put their music on YouTube and most are ignored in favor of some big titty chick in a wife-beater t-shirt playing an Iron Maiden cover song. :laugh2:

it's just the world today. I've accepted it. The 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's were an almost magical time in music. Every decade was different. Every decade was good.

Since the 2000's and the rise of the internet a lot of it has just become homogenized noise and you really, really have to dig to find the good stuff. It might be new, it might be old, but you have to dig to find it. And only the people who really love finding new music seem to invest that time, energy and love into finding new stuff. There are interesting new artists out there. Artists will always make art, they don't really do it for fame or money they do it because it's just what they do. But it's harder to find and with so much junk being created these days you really have to look for them.

....imo/disclaimer/blah blah blah

Last edited:

sonar1

Reaction score
Was Jo Bonannamassa mentioned?
When did he arrive?

His stuff doesn’t speak to me much, but he seems to be an icon.

fry

Reaction score
Gene is is just plain wrong. It was way earlier than 1988 when the icons ended. :thumbs:

Standard

Reaction score
One band i haven't seen mentioned yet is Phish, love them or hate them they're absolutely huge. And not only do they fit the objective definition, they absolutely fit the other wrong definitions too. They've played Madison Square Garden for New Years Eve 13 times, grossing over $50 million dollars and selling nearly a million tickets. For JUST THOSE shows.

Total ticket sales approx 11 million totalling over $500 million.

Oh yeah, their first album was released in 89.

Meatwad

Reaction score
One band i haven't seen mentioned yet is Phish, love them or hate them they're absolutely huge. And not only do they fit the objective definition, they absolutely fit the other wrong definitions too. They've played Madison Square Garden for New Years Eve 13 times, grossing over $50 million dollars and selling nearly a million tickets. For JUST THOSE shows.

Total ticket sales approx 11 million totalling over $500 million.

Oh yeah, their first album was released in 89.
Damn.....I didn't think stinky hippies had that kinda dough.

fry

Reaction score
Looking at a list of the top-selling music artists of all time, KISS is at the bottom of the list, while a lot of artists after 1988 wipe the floor with them.

Listen, man. Gene is a personal friend of mine. He saw your post, and was really embarrassed that you pointed out his band has only sold a paltry 75 million albums. He was pretty broken up, cried all the way in the bank.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Listen, man. Gene is a personal friend of mine. He saw your post, and was really embarrassed that you pointed out his band has only sold a paltry 75 million albums. He was pretty broken up, cried all the way in the bank.
Just saying, more iconic artists by sales after 1988 than what KISS brought in in record sales. I mean, he’s no Rihanna. :p

Last edited:

six-string

Reaction score
this makes me think of a magazine article i read recently about "The Starland Vocal Band" some of whom had worked with John Denver (co-wrote Country Roads) and then had a HUGE hit with Afternoon Delight. Yup a song about getting your freak on during your lunch break. now that is an Iconic Song!
ultimate mid-70's music success story.

I bet Gene wishes he wrote that one!

Latest Threads