Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A-Ha? Celine Dion? Rockwell?

I don't think you know what "iconic" means

I thought I told you to be nice.

In Canada, Celine Dion is iconic.

Just not in rock genre.

A-Ha's "Take on Me" was an iconic video in 1984-85. The mixture of grease-pencil art and film was indeed iconic.

toymaker

Reaction score
Gene Simmons commentary is akin to monkeys on typewriters - every once in a while ones gonna come up with some Shakespeare level piece - but your going to have to sort through endless piles of gibberish and non sense to find it.

Such are Gene's words of wisdom - he's got a few pearls in there - but an ocean full of trash that obscures anyone from catching them.

He's not "wrong" - the industry is not producing "icon" level artist like it did in his day...but reality is its evolution. In 1955 - how many artist were there and how many reached "icon" status - what...like 1 in 100....by the 60s there were thousands more and the ratio went to like 1 in 5000....by the time the Beatles broke up it was probably 1 in 10,000 or more.

As more product hits the shelves - the best us simply harder to find. And yes...icon status used to be achievable in years...now it's decades. In Elvis' day - he didn't have to compete with some half whit, washed up old man crowing on and on how in his day the music was better....he had no competition. Now, it takes years for an artist to build a following because there's so much noise bombarding us and drawing our attention.

Like her or not - Taylor Swift is well on her way to icon status. Beyonce is up there and Gaga is probably the most deserving of the crown of anyone. Rock, well it's still around - just not as defined as it once was. I dig the FooFighters - think they do a wonderful job and are the top rock act out there as far as universal appeal and popularity. Icons - yea, they make the cut...but even compared to 70s/80s - they aren't as generation definining of a group as say Skynrd or Van Halen.

jimcrawford64

Reaction score
I thought I told you to be nice.

In Canada, Celine Dion is iconic.

Just not in rock genre.

A-Ha's "Take on Me" was an iconic video in 1984-85. The mixture of grease-pencil art and film was indeed iconic.
But come on now... That's only just a video Take Me On that doesn't make A-Ha Iconic

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
dude..... there hasn't been anything "good" since my last album in 1995 .....who is he kidding?

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
But come on now... That's only just a video Take Me On that doesn't make A-Ha Iconic
If you were around for the first run of MTV in the early-mid eighties, that video was hugely talked about as ground-breaking. Nothing like it had ever been done. I consider such milestones as iconic. I consider A-Ha's contribution to music videos as iconic.

I get this for a definition of "iconic":

"a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol or as worthy of veneration"

In the just-past embryonic stage of music videos at the time, their efforts were (IMO) a representative symbol of excellence, of things to come. It was representative of a new way of doing things. So yeah in that sense, iconic.

Good enough for me. Perhaps not good enough for you.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
A little late to the game, only made it to page 7, so mia culpa if this is a repeat..

I thought that one of the zeitgeists of grunge and punk was in being aniconic.. or more specifically, anti-iconic

Latest Threads