Gene Simmons "No new iconic artist has emerged since 1988."

jimcrawford64

Reaction score
So apparently around 2014 Gene Simmons made a statement that no new iconic artist hasn't arrived since 1988 and he basically used the time frame from 1958-1988 to state why there were many Iconic artists then. I'll post the link so you can read it.

What do you all think? Me... I think he's right.

What about you?

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't listen to, well very rarely, anything that was published after 1988. So I'm not qualified to render an opinion. Maybe some of SRV's music before he died. That kind of thing, but he, and others I can think of were well known prior to 1988.

jimcrawford64

Reaction score
I don't listen to, well very rarely, anything that was published after 1988. So I'm not qualified to render an opinion. Maybe some of SRV's music before he died. That kind of thing, but he, and others I can think of were well known prior to 1988.
Same here. I personally think the 90s and 00s were pretty awful for music (except Amy Winehouse) but nothing stands out for me

jimcrawford64

Reaction score
An entire era of rock music happened after 1988. He, or anyone for that matter, may not like it, but you can't objectively say there were no iconic bands from the grunge era.
He did mention Michael Jackson, Motown, Prince, Madonna so it isn't just about rock bands

Olds442

Reaction score
i bet lady gaga cares what he thinks.

beyonce is probably all tore up.

and taylor swift's new single will be "Mean Gene".

PeteK

Reaction score
He did mention Michael Jackson, Motown, Prince, Madonna so it isn't just about rock bands
So he's even further proving my point. He may not personally like the music that came after 1988, but there are plenty of iconic musicians in several genres from the 90's and even through today.

jimcrawford64

Reaction score
So he's even further proving my point. He may not personally like the music that came after 1988, but there are plenty of iconic musicians in several genres from the 90's and even through today.
Like who? Beyonce? Mariah Carey? Let's be honest bro. Majority of the artists from the 90s - present weren't that great. What did they bring to the table?

PeteK

Reaction score
Like who? Beyonce? Mariah Carey? Let's be honest bro. Majority of the artists from the 90s - present weren't that great. What did they bring to the table?
I'll skip over the obvious answer of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana who ushered in an entire era of music. I won't even mention the drummer of that band that went on to sell a bazillion records with the Foo Fighters. Instead, I'll throw a curveball. I fucking hate every second of country music I ever heard, but I'm not going to say Garth Brooks isn't iconic. He would still sell out a zillion seat arena anywhere. First album released in 1989. Absolutely crushed the charts throughout the 90's.

jimcrawford64

Reaction score
I'll skip over the obvious answer of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana who ushered in an entire era of music. I won't even mention the drummer of that band that went on to sell a bazillion records with the Foo Fighters. Instead, I'll throw a curveball. I fucking hate every second of country music I ever heard, but I'm not going to say Garth Brooks isn't iconic. He would still sell out a zillion seat arena anywhere. First album released in 1989. Absolutely crushed the charts throughout the 90's.
An era of music that didn't last long... That only lasted until 94..

PeteK

Reaction score
An era of music that didn't last long... That only lasted until 94..
Pearl Jam put out an album last year. Soundgarden was back together when Cornell died. Jerry Cantrell still puts out Alice in Chains albums. Music evolves over time.

Again, because you don't like the music doesn't mean it doesn't exist. What does "iconic" mean to you? I was a kid in the 90's. You know how many of those Nirvana smiley face posters I saw on walls or stickers on skateboards? It was everywhere. Cobain was on every magazine cover. If you lived in the suburbs, you were issued a copy of Nevermind. It came in the mail with samples of Tide. And 30 years later you'll still hear Nirvana on rock radio stations every day. I'm pretty sure he qualifies as iconic.

meatball

Reaction score
Gene Simmons said just one thing that I truly agree on ,, He was questioned about the Electronic DJ Concerts with turntables that attract thousands to festivals .
He was asked his opinion and he said “ These DJ’s being called musicians is like saying I am an electrician by cutting a light switch off in a room “ THAT wa a great comment . Then again , when the Grunge movement came out in Seattle he said that Dressing like a sloppy ,unshaven ,dirty Lumberjack is not a stage show . Lololol.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
“I think it really comes down to when technology outpaces the laws of the land, it’s the Wild West; people just go and grab territory and don’t pay for it. It devalues new bands. It doesn’t affect me – I make a living – but it’s sad, because the next Beatles or the next Kiss, it does not have a chance.”

I think I can agree with Gene on this.
I'm not sure there is a chance for bands or artists who have worked on their stage craft along with their music to be noticed. It's really crowded out there.

Latest Threads