Geddy Lee has a burst?

questionman

Reaction score

Just saw this article on GW

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
Apparently he does. https://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1019-388096/1959-gibson-les-paul-standard-electric-guitar/

About The Collection

Geddy Lee of the celebrated Canadian rock trio Rush has spent the past few years delving deep into the rich history of the instrument that defined his 40-plus year career as one of rock history’s most talented bassists.

His focused efforts led him not only to build a world-class, investment-grade collection of ultra-rare and desirable vintage and antique guitars, but also to create a book that takes an in-depth look into the amazing evolution of what Lee, the collector, has come to view as a work of art in its own right.

With his book now a complete and published piece and his private collection of guitars nearing 300 in total, Lee said he feels that the time has come to reunite a select few of his finest string instruments with talented musicians around the world who can help these works of art fulfill their original and intended purpose of making art. As such, a small selection of six blue-ribbon, coveted classic guitars from Lee’s private collection is now slated to join the Mecum Auction lineup for the Las Vegas auction this October 10-12 as part of Mecum’s new department: Mecum Presents Guitar Search by Domino, and it’s highlighted by a “holy grail” Les Paul Gibson from 1959.

Highlights

• Previously owned by Geddy Lee
  • Not circulated in over 3 decades
  • Most desired make of all electric guitars
  • Serial No. 9 1160
  • Finish: Sunburst
  • Headstock: holly veneer
  • Fret Board: Brazilian Rosewood
  • Position Markers: Pearloid
  • Frets: 22 total, refretted with original style nickel alloy fret wire
  • Tuning Pegs: Kluson D169400, single line, single row tips
  • Nut: nylon
  • Neck: Honduran Mahogany
  • Pickups: Two Patent Applied for Humbucking pickups
  • Pickup Switch: 3-way switch controlling neck pickup, Humbuck pickups and bridge pickup
  • Bridge: Gibson ABR-1
  • Volume and Control Knobs: individual volume and tone knobs for each pickup
  • Case: Original Brown Lifton 4 latch
  • COA by Gruhn Guitars

The highlight of Geddy Lee's upcoming offering in Las Vegas is this special-edition 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard with Sunburst finish, often referred to as the holy grail of guitars. Produced for just three years, the Les Paul Standards, built by Gibson, are considered by many to be the pinnacle of the American electric guitar, and they rank as the most collectible vintage guitars on the market. According to Tony Bacon’s book, “50 Years of the Gibson Les Paul: Half a Century of the Greatest Electric Guitars,” only about 650 of the guitars were produced in 1959, and it is estimated that fewer than 1,700 of the desirable 1958-1960 "Burst" design examples in total are still existing today; Lee’s 1959 model is in stunning original condition, save for a single refret, and it comes with the original case. A rare piece like this in any state and from any collection would be a remarkable find, and this one’s original condition and status as an exalted member of rock legend Geddy Lee’s previously untouchable private collection catapult it into the stratosphere of the truly one-of-a-kind, inimitable classics.

Razzle

Reaction score
Is it just me, or are we seeing an increase of people selling off their guitar collections. You know, people that are heavily steeped in either the guitar era through playing, or through collecting.

Kinda like the stock market. When it starts going down, people sell.

I really think we're starting to see a trend.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, or are we seeing an increase of people selling off their guitar collections. You know, people that are heavily steeped in either the guitar era through playing, or through collecting.

There's always been bursts for sale. You are definitely more aware of it because of the internet and how people advertise. Case in point...you didn't know about the transaction where he purchased it.
Not to say there isn't an increase in guitars for sale, but the distribution model continues to evolve. A few years ago, you wouldn't see dealers put stuff on reverb or gbase. Now I think everyone does it.

Reactions: Who

Uncle Vinnie

Premium Member
Reaction score

They're also getting older. Lee is in his mid-60s. David Gilmour, Clapton, et al are in their mid-70s. Might as well cash in before you cash out.

Pete M

Reaction score

Ten years ago you would rarely ever see bursts for sale on the internet apart from a few guitar shops that had an online presence. The only other semi-reliable place to sell stuff publicly was Ebay (for a sky high fee), Craigslist, or possibly GBase. It was a risk. It think it's easier these days. There's a lot more information out there. Also they're not getting any younger.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I wonder what makes it a "special-edition." It's even more Bursty than a regular Burst?
Special Edition simply refers to any guitar you are currently selling.

Usually seen along with the comments "plays like butter' and 'thinning the herd'

This is the classification just before "Rare"

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
Best guitar he's ever played, hands-down. He hates to part with it but has no choice due to an unforeseen tax bill. His loss, our gain.