Gas Water heater recommendations?

Skeletor

Reaction score
Another mundane thread :)

Going back to the backstage for purchase recommendations (Backstage never steered me wrong before)...
Went to reboot my furnace last weekend and stepped in to 1/2" of water in my utility room... 15 year old water heater had sprung a pinhole leak in the drain valve ($4 fix) - wake up call for me in that this water heater is nearing the end of it's lifespan and it is time for a new one.

So - any recommendation on brands to look for or more importantly - to avoid?

I never liked the old one (50 Gallon GSW/John Woods) as it never really allowed me to fill a bath tub without running cold (I messed with temperature settings, replaced dip tube, flushed out - never helped).

So - looking for a reliable natural gas water heater - 50 gallons or better.... bonus points if it is "narrow" as I built the room around this one and didn't plan for a larger footprint :doh:

Thanks all

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go tankless if you have a small household that doesn't have more than two users at a time. No storage, no more paying to keep the tank hot. Typically last twice as long as a tank unit due to very low rusting issues.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I live in a town with water so hard it ends up ruining water heaters. Until it improves, I just rent.

Skeletor

Reaction score
I'd go tankless if you have a small household that doesn't have more than two users at a time. No storage, no more paying to keep the tank hot. Typically last twice as long as a tank unit due to very low rusting issues.
Everyone I asked - advised to avoid tankless still.
On top of that - Calgary has extremely hard water and I shouldn't run a tankless without a water softener.

So - I've resigned myself to a tank

NGG - what is the monthly cost to "rent"? Not sure if it is an option here but I seem to recall one of the utilities marketing that option years ago.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a cheapie tankless "instant hot" on a house we are selling. Just for a tiny bathroom and shower, hardly any use at all.

It's a piece of shit. But it works. We're just trying to sell the house and be done.

But for a home you live in, I would not recommend a cheapie tankless.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
On top of that - Calgary has extremely hard water and I shouldn't run a tankless without a water softener.

NGG - what is the monthly cost to "rent"? Not sure if it is an option here but I seem to recall one of the utilities marketing that option years ago.
Yeah, it's the hard water that destroys water equipment. A former house I lived in had water so hard I couldn't stand to wash my hands in it, so a softener was mandatory. The water as is would destroy clothing. Actually gritty.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score

Hey bro..just checked the last bill...$20/month and I've never paid an installation fee....been through 3 water heaters in the last ten years, none would have been covered by a warranty...I believe if I paid for the tanks and had installation and old tank removal fees, I'd have paid a LOT more than I have.

Fracture

Reaction score
Bradford White - if available in your area
You want a 50 tall

my brother has been a purchasing agent and executive with one of
the largest mechanical contractors in the Chicago area for 30+ years

buys copper and plastic pipe by the mile

when my Rheem shit the bed last summer after the requisite 8 years
he had a Bradford White delivered to my house, I installed it

hard water - set a reminder on your phone to flush the bottom 15 gallons
once a month

Skeletor

Reaction score
Might have to look in to the Bradford White stuff - looks to be Canadian (a good thing for me) but not a big box store item

Skeletor

Reaction score
Any idea how critical the "Maximum Altitude" rating is?
The Brandford white ones I found - list maximum altitude as 2000'.... according to google I am at close to 3500' (Calgary Alberta)

Dolebludger

Reaction score
We have a weird set up. We have a gas -boiler plus a 100 gallon tank. The boiler might need repair or replacement but the passive storage tank will out-live me. This system not only serves hot water in the house, but also floor heating in our walk-out finished basement of 1000 sq ft. It is 10 years old with zero problems. We also have a water softening system, but I don’t know how much difference that makes, given the separation of our boiler from the storage tank. We have a slightly oversized “bubble tub” in our master bath. It may run out of hot water at times, and when somebody fills it near the rim. But even then, the system recovers quickly. And nobody but my grand daughter ever uses the bubble tub. We put it in when building for resale value, as all buyers expect one in homes in this price range!. But if you want to do it right for the long term, I recommend a separate gas boiler/heater and a passive storage tank.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard water here too. Don’t claim to be right, but I do whatever’s the best price at the big box, get a few years and go again.

Fracture

Reaction score
Any idea how critical the "Maximum Altitude" rating is?
The Brandford white ones I found - list maximum altitude as 2000'.... according to google I am at close to 3500' (Calgary Alberta)
they have a Canadien section in their website

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I'd go with the cheapest solution that is supposed to last 5 years longer than you plan to be in the house.

In my last house the tank water heater lasted 18+ years. A major win on the financial calculator. At my wilderness get-away we have two gas tankless (i.e. instant) heaters.

Instant hot is nice, but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

Latest Threads