GAS success stories

Coxon2323

Reaction score
Hello has anyone resolved and said enough is enough and stopped buying guitars?
Tell us your success story and how you did it... was it a belief or a philosophy or practical wisdom that got you to stop?

I'll start with a little contribution.

I have resolved not to buy any more guitars since my last purchase in September 2018. It was through seeing that nothing material or outward material forms bring lasting satisfaction. They always make you feel incomplete and I believe only things like family or a belief in a religion or god and good experiences can bring that fulfilment and sense of completion.

Applying that has so fat been successful, and even with GAS for the new SG Standard, I feel I am in control of my GAS for one, you just have to have the resolve and I support anyone on here that is struggling with this. Perhaps sharing your story will help you ....

Thanks

Petergrifindor

Reaction score
Never occurred to me that the definition of "GAS success" could be anything related tp stop buying guitars. Quite the opposite, success for me is being able to afford anyone I want in short/medium term.

Having lots of guitars bring me a lot of joy. Everyday.

Is that the ultimate form of joy, the pure Nirvana?

If we are talking about pedals and amps, the Fractal Axe-FX II cured my gas 100% years ago.

smk506

Reaction score
Closest I’ve ever come to being done with gas was when I stopped playing for a few years, and even then I had flare ups from time to time.

Right now I’m really set for guitars, but that doesn’t stop me from looking. I could really use an sg or special with p90s for instance.

If I was smart I’d start selling or trading some stuff that doesn’t get used anymore, but I kinda prefer to hang onto everything these days.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I feel pretty darn satisfied with my recently acquired Orange Rocker 15 Terror head. It has awesome Orange saturated chimey-crunch and a clean (Natural) channel that sounds gorgeous. I think I'm done with amps.

However, I said that close to two years ago about guitars. Yet, here I go, out tonight to possibly trade a pedal and some cash for another one. :rofl:

smk506

Reaction score
I feel pretty darn satisfied with my recently acquired Orange Rocker 15 Terror head. It has awesome Orange saturated chimey-crunch and a clean (Natural) channel that sounds gorgeous. I think I'm done with amps.

However, I said that close to two years ago about guitars. Yet, here I go, out tonight to possibly trade a pedal and some cash for another one. :rofl:
Whatcha looking at?

NeubyWanKaneuby

Reaction score
I ran out of money to spend on guitars, because I had other bills. That's carried over for the last year or so, and will probably continue for the next few (unless I sell something to buy something).

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
I impulse bought an early 70s Epiphone acoustic 2 months ago. Then got buyers remorse. I sold it yesterday for the same price i bought it at. So im neutral on all counts.

Does this count as a success?

Coxon2323

Reaction score
I guess the ultimate definition of success is what success is to you.
For some that is being able to buy any guitar they want and that that brings joy and for others it's being clean and having a sustained period of not buying anything.

I've read some good stories so far and I concur that you are never fully cured of GAS, but I think you can manage it somewhat

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
If we are talking about pedals and amps, the Fractal Axe-FX II cured my gas 100% years ago.
This is NOT a slight on Axe. My lead just bought the V.3 and it's pretty fucking amazing. He's barely scratched the surface and he's already brought so much to our sound.

That said, for ME, I think ending pedal GAS would make me sad. I love having a new pedal to mess around with and I do feel the chase is better than the catch.

Victek

Reaction score
Tell us your success story and how you did it... was it a belief or a philosophy or practical wisdom that got you to stop?
Whether or not buying guitars is satisfying depends on expectations. It can be fun, but as you say it's not a substitute for family, etc. I went through a period where I bought and sold quite a few guitars. Eventually I lost interest and now I just have a few that meet my needs.

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've often stopped. But it never lasts.
I think I went 18mo without buying an axe, but went pedal crazy.
I think we're all trying to plug the hole in our life we think the gear will fill. "THIS time, this will be it, this will finally be the last one and then I'll be set."

smk506

Reaction score
This is NOT a slight on Axe. My lead just bought the V.3 and it's pretty fucking amazing. He's barely scratched the surface and he's already brought so much to our sound.

That said, for ME, I think ending pedal GAS would make me sad. I love having a new pedal to mess around with and I do feel the chase is better than the catch.
Hey, NGD or gtfo you.

Coxon2323

Reaction score
I've often stopped. But it never lasts.
I think I went 18mo without buying an axe, but went pedal crazy.
I think we're all trying to plug the hole in our life we think the gear will fill. "THIS time, this will be it, this will finally be the last one and then I'll be set."
yeah, what troubles me is that it is endless.

Tiboy

Reaction score
My last no new gear for a year resolution lasted 11 months and 13 days. Then I had to have a Tele. I must say I absolutely love that guitar. No regrets.

Latest Threads