GAS, Something that is often joked about, but is it really a laughing matter?

dmac in SC

Reaction score
Genuinely serious question to members of the forum... when is enough enough?

So i go through cycles when I decide which amps I have that are not keepers, and I pull them out of the studio to the 'for sale' room. To a lesser extent, the same goes for guitars and pedals.

i am just now recovering enough from cubital tunnel surgery that I can finally play again. During the down-time, I selected several gear items that I don't use enough to justify the money I have tied up in them... and then, like a hundred times or more before, I plug them up and realize that there is no way I can get rid of them.

One in particular is my '65 Bandmaster head, which I scored for around $600, but never felt the love other folks claim to have for them. After playing it for a couple of days now, there is no way that thing is going anywhere in my lifetime. The same goes for my old-ass Hotrod Deluxe, a beater LP Studio I've had for 30 years, a G&L ASAT Deluxe, and a half a dozen or so pedals . Instead, I'm drooling over VOX amps.

Does anybody else here have the same issues, or am I just a sick pup?:cheers2:

Once again, this is serious question.

six-string

Reaction score
I used to be one of the "collector" types who never wanted to let go of any equipment.
but about 10 years ago when my buddy/brother died I was swamped with all of this massive collection too.
As per his wishes, I gave away a ton of guitars and gear to musician friends.
But I also sold some to pay his debts etc.

It made me reconsider my own heap and since then I have sold, traded and even...given away (shock horror) some items.
I still have way more than I need but there are some things I just can't be parted from.
But at least I feel I am trying to exercise a bit of self-control.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't turned on any of my amps in over 3 months. Been just noodling around on my acoustic. I still search for amp and electric guitar deals almost every day online and drool over video demos I watch.

I don't need anything, but nothing can stop the search and dreaming. :)

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
It's fairly harmless hopefully for all but the most extreme. You dont hear too many people saying I threw away my life, my career, my marriage, everyone I loved ... all to chase tone. you hear people say that about other things though.

Caretaker

Reaction score
I have 9 guitars, 5 amps.
I don`t NEED 9 guitars or 5 amps.
One guitar is currently for sale.
An amp or 2 may go up for sale tomorrow. maybe another guitar or 2.
Maybe some pickups.
I may change my mind in the morning and keep it all, or sell it all(almost).

I gave up emotional ties to any guitar/amp long ago.

meatball

Reaction score
I have all my children nearby I don’t sell anything I use all of them onstage

JTM45

Reaction score
I have everything I need but not everything I want, it’s terrible to be honest,I’m look for and at guitars all damn night.

Hell, I’m looking at electronic drums now and I don’t even play drums

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get it down to a small A team. I find myself at that stage where when I'm looking at something I consider how pizzed she'll be after I die and she goes through my room. I don't want her to be too mad at me the next time I see her.

Still, even over invested, this is one of the cheapest hobbies out there and one that actually leaves you with saleable assets. I look at accumulated boat/fishing stuff in my garage that might bring 10 cents on the dollar in a garage sale. You burn through ammo, tackle, gas or whatever in your hobby, that money is gone.

Olds442

Reaction score
all you really need is a couple.

hundred.

dmac in SC

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Still, even over invested, this is one of the cheapest hobbies out there and one that actually leaves you with saleable assets.
[/QUOTE]

I will definitely concede this point..Fishing, hunting and golf are way more expensive and leave fewer redeemable assets in the long run :confused: But being a person with an addictive personality, I am more worried about scoring the blue LP Studio somebody posted here yesterday than I am replacing the 20 year old deck on the back of my house.

Life is good, Maybe?

smk506

Reaction score
Still, even over invested, this is one of the cheapest hobbies out there and one that actually leaves you with saleable assets.
[/QUOTE]

I will definitely concede this point..Fishing, hunting and golf are way more expensive and leave fewer redeemable assets in the long run :confused: But being a person with an addictive personality, I am more worried about scoring the blue LP Studio somebody posted here yesterday than I am replacing the 20 year old deck on the back of my house.

Life is good, Maybe?
[/QUOTE]

Priced building materials lately? You could damn near build a deck out of guitars for what lumber is fetching these days.

Roxy13

Reaction score

Life is good, Maybe?
[/QUOTE]

Priced building materials lately? You could damn near build a deck out of guitars for what lumber is fetching these days.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, my roof repair was made considerably more expensive due to the prices right now of the rotten wood that had to go.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Guilt over possessions? No, If I want a guitar=amp+pedal I buy it cash-no worries- no debt, just inspiration-I have 15 guitars+9 amps+48 pedals-no kids to leave them to or to make me sell them for their rehab. Just me and an army of guitar stuff. I die a happy man. I'm buying this soon.Why? Because I need more FUZZ I could have braindead soon-live for the moment.

1604178981226.png

Latest Threads