GAS for a Gibson SG..........

lespauldawg

Reaction score
I have always enjoyed the feel and playability of an SG, any advice as which model or year to take a closer look?
I am seriously considering picking up a used one.

Suggestions?............

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1993 Gibson SG Special and am loving it (more and more).

Definatly a model/year I would highly recommend :thumb:

HeartString

>>>RSIYH<<<
Reaction score
I have a 2013 50's Tribute with 24 frets and P90's that is excellent and I like small necks so I don't think the neck is a 50's if all 50's are big.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Great ones are out there from all eras and I see lots of screaming deals on '90s-'00s Specials (which are humbucker guitars). My wife's 2000 Special might be the best SG I've ever encountered. It's loud as **** unplugged -- just rings out like a piano, percussive and punchy, plus it's got a nice thick-ish neck.

The only ones to maybe avoid are the early '70s ones that tend to have ridiculously narrow nuts. They're fine guitars, but it's tough for most folks to get used to them. I used to have a '74 SG Custom and it was a great guitar, but I couldn't handle the neck...

rogue_one

Reaction score
Don't ignore the SG Classics either. Dot inlays, Bound 50's neck, P-90s.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 97 SG Standard... ABR-1 w/ real 6-32 posts into the body, 490R/498T (which work great in it), lightweight (6.71lbs), and well balanced w/ no neck dive. Killer guitar... it converted me from being "meh" when it came to SGs to being a fan! :D

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Great ones are out there from all eras and I see lots of screaming deals on '90s-'00s Specials (which are humbucker guitars). My wife's 2000 Special might be the best SG I've ever encountered. It's loud as **** unplugged -- just rings out like a piano, percussive and punchy, plus it's got a nice thick-ish neck.
Same for my 2001. :thumb:

bwillard

Reaction score
So many cool SGs out there. Here are mine:

...and they all have different pick ups!

Tim Plains

Reaction score
How about your budget, pickup and neck preference?

Trogly

Reaction score

1974 SG Standards are always great guitars and my personal favorites. I've had around 7 of them over the years and every one has been spectacular. Ebony fretboards with a really unique neck profile. The late 80s/early 90s SG Customs are phenomenal as well. Here is a video of one of the 74's I've had

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOvTqfCZXB8[/ame]

lespauldawg

Reaction score
How about your budget, pickup and neck preference?
My price point is around 1k....preferably less if possible!
concerning necks, anything that just feels right.I am a weirdo in this regard because I enjoy a fatty as much as the next guy...: haha
but seriously I am open minded in this area, it must feel right!

lespauldawg

Reaction score

1974 SG Standards are always great guitars and my personal favorites. I've had around 7 of them over the years and every one has been spectacular. Ebony fretboards with a really unique neck profile. The late 80s/early 90s SG Customs are phenomenal as well. Here is a video of one of the 74's I've had

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOvTqfCZXB8
Love the family portrait!

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
concerning necks, anything that just feels right.I am a weirdo in this regard because I enjoy a fatty as much as the next guy...: haha
In that case, I would second someone else's recommendation on an SG Classic from around 8 years ago or so. You can get those for under $1K.

garybaldy

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with a 2013 SGJ - if you can find one now.
Well within your budget.
Some people have a problem with the unconventional looks but the feel and sound are terrific. 490R/490T pups.
Mine is my current regular gigging instrument.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I understand you -- I've got so many different-shaped necks in the house that I enjoy. I really would try to find an early '70s one to play in person before buying one of those sight-unseen, though. As much as thin/thick, narrow/wide doesn't phase me, there's a limit with nut width and the '74 Custom I had was just too narrow for me. Trying to cleanly fret chords at the nut (which I don't even do that often) was way too difficult. And I don't have particularly thick fingers, either.

Diocletian

Reaction score
I'd just look on Craigslist (or here) for one that catches your eye and is a good price. I bought a 2016 Standard in ebony - from ebay - because I got a decent deal on it and wanted to get one in time for my birthday. Of course it came with only a (nice enough) gig bag, not a hard case and cost me about £640
A few weeks later I found a 1999 locally, 1999 standard in cherry, which had a Gibson hard case. And I only paid £500 for it!

I absolutely love both of them, they're both 10/10 guitars but it shows you how bargains can be found on SGs.

Latest Threads