Gary Moore Signature

fatbird

Reaction score
Armitage_Les_Paul_Studio_Premum_-1.jpg

Armitage_Les_Paul_Studio_Premum_Plu.jpg

Awesome!!! I want one and GM is bad ass!

tele52

Reaction score
Armitage_Les_Paul_Studio_Premum_-1.jpg

Armitage_Les_Paul_Studio_Premum_Plu.jpg

I can't imagine there's a difference between a dressed up Studio, and a dressed down Standard... my Studios, Standards and Custom are the same thickness.

Heck, my Studio Premium Plus is a dressed UP Moore! The top is SO 3D it's hard to photograph, and it's a one piece body too.

Here's the story behind the GM model. They were a limited run,
GARY MOORE LES PAUL Special case, pick guard.

Armitage

Reaction score
Here's the story behind the GM model. They were a limited run,
GARY MOORE LES PAUL Special case, pick guard.

Yup, cool guitar and I've played a few... I still don't get why people think it's a dressed down Standard instead of a dressed up Studio... :hmm:

They're the same thing.

baumwolle

Reaction score
They look great but bear in mind it's a dressed up studio.

They are NOT a dressed up Studio, why doesn't everyone open their eyes? It's good AA-grade maple top, it's nowhere near the quality of the Studio.

As for the reversed pickup, that's not a stock option.

Armitage

Reaction score
So what you're saying, is it's between a Studio and a Studio Premium Plus.

tele52

Reaction score
No, it's a signature edition, limited production. Custom to Moore's specs, binding less standard type guitar. Ten years later they sell for as much (or more) as they sold for new. They're a collectible, not a regular production model.
As of 2010 Price guide:
Les Paul Studio Premium Plus, $1000.00 to $1200.00
Gary Moore Signature, $2000.00 to $2300.00

I have a 1999 Studio, and I can tell you it's vastly different than my GM

Armitage

Reaction score
You can IMAGINE it's a simplified Standard... but that's what a Studio IS...

What makes you think a Studio is different then a Standard, besides choice of pickups and less binding? Some Studios/Standards come with flame tops, some better then others, and some don't.

They're made at the same factory, by the same guys, on the same machines, with the same tolerances, of the same woods.

Like many, I'd like to think my Customs are better then my Standards which are better then my Studios... but they're not. More bling makes it fancier, not better. There's nobody going "this piece of mahogany is better, it'll go in a Standard."

People pay more for Sig guitars, BECAUSE they're Sig guitars. Not because they are necessarily better. People buy Sig guitars generally because they're a big fan, and sometimes because they simply liked the way the guitar turned out.

I'd also like to think my Sig guitars are better then the regular production guitars... but besides some personal choices (neck shape, colors and pickups etc), they're not either.

It's funny, but different pickups, paint and neck shapes don't cost more money to make. Inlays and binding DO cost much more labor though.

And I'm not talking about comparing Custom shop models vs Standard production models. Those can be different... but even then, much less then we'd like to believe.

tele52

Reaction score
You can IMAGINE it's a simplified Standard... but that's what a Studio IS...

What makes you think a Studio is different then a Standard, besides choice of pickups and less binding? Some Studios/Standards come with flame tops, some better then others, and some don't.

They're made at the same factory, by the same guys, on the same machines, with the same tolerances, of the same woods.

Like many, I'd like to think my Customs are better then my Standards which are better then my Studios... but they're not. More bling makes it fancier, not better. There's nobody going "this piece of mahogany is better, it'll go in a Standard."

People pay more for Sig guitars, BECAUSE they're Sig guitars. Not because they are necessarily better. People buy Sig guitars generally because they're a big fan, and sometimes because they simply liked the way the guitar turned out.

I'd also like to think my Sig guitars are better then the regular production guitars... but besides some personal choices (neck shape, colors and pickups etc), they're not either.

It's funny, but different pickups, paint and neck shapes don't cost more money to make. Inlays and binding DO cost much more labor though.

And I'm not talking about comparing Custom shop models vs Standard production models. Those can be different... but even then, much less then we'd like to believe.
I'm not talking about materials, I'm talking about limited production. They can produce plus top studios, any time they want. But they can't make more 2000-2001 Gary Moore models. You have a beautiful guitar, and you should be proud of it. But by virtue of production, they are different guitars. According to Tony Bacon's the Les Paul book. the Gary Moore's were based on the Les Paul Standard, second edition.

tele52

Reaction score
Wow, that's a totally different color from any GM, i've seen. I wonder if there's a filter on the camera. That's over $3000.00 US.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's over $3000.00 US.
That's the price we pay here in Europe, you guys in the US don't know how lucky you are (at least when it comes to buying guitars).

Don

WoodyTone

Reaction score
Only non-binding LPs I've seen that I like -- sweet!

Armitage

Reaction score
I'm not talking about materials, I'm talking about limited production. They can produce plus top studios, any time they want. But they can't make more 2000-2001 Gary Moore models. You have a beautiful guitar, and you should be proud of it. But by virtue of production, they are different guitars. According to Tony Bacon's the Les Paul book. the Gary Moore's were based on the Les Paul Standard, second edition.

Well I'm not talking about artificially produced production numbers, they could have made a million if they wanted, and note, a Les Paul Studio is also based on a Les Paul Standard. And lets not get into why they made a Sig model that's not at all like Gary's stunning and world famous old Les Paul Standard.

I'm just pointing out the obvious to the many people who want to argue it's a stripped Les Paul Standard, instead of a dressed (in a very limited way) Studio. :cool:

Heck, they didn't build a Standard and fill in the binding slots etc and put in special pickups. They built a Studio and put BurstBuckers in.

tele52

Reaction score
Well I'm not talking about artificially produced production numbers, they could have made a million if they wanted, and note, a Les Paul Studio is also based on a Les Paul Standard. And lets not get into why they made a Sig model that's not at all like Gary's stunning and world famous old Les Paul Standard.

I'm just pointing out the obvious to the many people who want to argue it's a stripped Les Paul Standard, instead of a dressed (in a very limited way) Studio. :cool:

Heck, they didn't build a Standard and fill in the binding slots etc and put in special pickups. They built a Studio and put BurstBuckers in.
That's just not true. You seem really angry about this. And why not get into why they built the guitar, that's the best part. Gary wanted to make a sig guitar his fans could afford. They based that guitar on a second series Les Paul standard. He wanted a 59 style neck, First to install Burstbuckers . The 2001 price list, had the standard at $3075, Gary Moore Sig. $2922. Standard plus $3614. . It was part of the standard line up thats all there is to it. It's just not a studio, it's a one piece back, widened headstock. It was loosely based on his 59 Standard, not his 59 Studio. Artificially produced production numbers? What brought that up? They made the guitar for two years, limited run. If you want to call your guitar a Gary Moore plus, go ahead.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep looking at these pictures here since you posted them, and this is definatly one of the most beautifull guitars I have seen in a long time (up par with CES's studio :) ) I just love the wood grain and finish on this particular one (personal opinion of cource).

Don

tele52

Reaction score
tele52-albums-my-album-picture20680-garys-001.jpg
[/IMG]
How about something in a nice wide stripe?

Deftone

Reaction score

As somone who has owned all three, I tend to agree.

However, I did see a pic in a recent thread where specific pieces of mahogany were seperated by their actual weight and used for differnet Les Paul models. Perhaps better grade wood is used on higher grade LP's?

tele52

Reaction score
A company will always use better parts and fit and finish on their higher priced models. That's why they're higher priced. They are the benchmark for that company. Any one that runs a business follows that model, it's silly not to. I wanted to believe the custom shop stuff wasn't that special, and I was wrong. I spoke to my tech. He works on a lot of Gibson guitars, he said hands down the custom shop guitars are a cut above. There are great guitars made on the assembly line, and I'm sure some good wood finds it's way to the lower priced models. But top grade goes to the benchmark guitars, it just makes business sense. You get what you pay for.

Latest Threads